Which Toyota Diesel? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh...... and my vote is for the 1HD-FT infin you can get your hands on one.

Some talk by the Australian guys about the head developing cracks?

If so I know the venrable Yahnmar fashion its 375HP marin engine after the 1HD-FT, again to aknowledge the fact they are aftercooling with cold sea water is a hudge advantage.

Rob

Sorry to break the thread, but where is the air to water aftercooler unit from? on post 28?, I have searched high and low for a similar unit to sit between my TRD supercharger and intake on my 1FZ gasser. I must know, haffi does not check his PM very often.

Greg_B said:
Back to regular programming. Grease Cruiser; Have you narrowed down your list of possibles, or still searching and gaining info.

gb
Well,
I have decided to scrap the 62 axles, FF rear cable locker and go back to SUA with OME and run 33"s at the most. Not scrap literally but save them for another project. So many projects, so little time.

The wife is considering the "troopie" hers. I was thinking that SOA with 35"s might be a little too much for her as a daily driver. She is one tough girl and loves Cruisers but I don't think she is ready for 35"s yet.

So, I have been thinking the 13BT might be a good option for this rig. Although that rebuilt 1HDT that would be spectacular!

I just need to hear back on pricing and some more researching before I make the decision and plunk down the money.

1HD-T (12 Valve) Tdi 4.2L I-L6 or 1HD-FT (Mechanical 24 valve) 4.2L I-L6 Tdi

I-L6 is a more practical choice over the 4-cylinder turbo diesels (14B-T or 15B-T) as they are very torquey in low-speed operation and smooth @ freeway speeds. Very practical engine.

If vibration and harshness does NOT bother you, then 15B-T 4.1 Liter 4-cylinder turbo diesel (direct injection) , 16 valve SOHC is a good engine for extreme off-road application.

However, I'd take the 1HD-FT any day :cheers: over the I-L4 as it does most tasks very well without being overly stressed. don't forget the tweaking potential of these engines too. downside: Co$t! :frown:

lloyd_lluvbullet said:
If vibration and harshness does NOT bother you, then 15B-T 4.1 Liter 4-cylinder turbo diesel (direct injection) , 16 valve SOHC is a good engine for extreme off-road application.

I'm with you .. Lloyd .. but 15B-T engine is relative new engine, and not common to sell it alone here .. and off curse not a cheap option .. I thought is more easy to find a 1HD-T 12V and rebuild it to get 300 miles without engine problems ..

yup..the 1HD-T 12-Valve direct-injected Turbo-diesel 4.2L SOHC is definitely a good buy. Torque comes in a little earlier than 1HD-FT (SOHC 24-valve) and should almost be as good as the 1HD-FT in all respects.

1HD-FT wins in all-out top-end power so if off-road application is on your list, 1HD-T is just as sufficient if not better.

15B-Ts are used on trucks in Japan to haul between 3-5 ton payloads. so you can see why its extremely torquey but quite 'useless' for highway travel unless you have a ring n pinion ratio of 3.3:1 to enjoy that rich torque spread.

Behemoth60 said:
So, the term 'Richardson Comet Mark III' has a dubious origin. If I remember correctly, it actually flew out of my ass a few years ago while typing a message to the DTLC. It's endearing to see that it has actually stuck.

I first heard Rob Mullen make reference to this possibly mis-named combustion process. He was regailing me with a story of attending some institute where they had somehow installed camera's into a diesel engine cylendar to observe the flame propagation. As Rob told me, the instructor made a passing comment about some esoteric footage of some other process, whose name I've re-invented as Richardson Comet Mark III. Rob stayed after class, insisted that he had a truck that used that process, and convinced the instructor to give him a private viewing of the film.

Indeed, I do believe there is a name for the type of flame propgation used in the 3B engine design, but Richardson Comet Mark III may not actually be it, and the use of that term should certainly by in Quotes as Greg has done. If you use it in conversation, I recommend the use of the little rabbit ear air quotes to inflict the dubious origins of that term upon the listener.

Peter Straub

Bringing this thread up from the depths as a result of some research on the firing process in diesel engines.

The process you flagrantly abused may well be the "Ricardo Comet V" precups, as discussed here:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/65fueleconomy.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Ricardo
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Misc/Ricardo.htm which refers to a "Ricardo 'Comet' MkIII combustion chamber"
http://www-g.eng.cam.ac.uk/125/achievements/ricardo/index.htm

Be interesting to see if these are the style of precup used in the 3B.

gb

Last edited:
This was the only thread i could find that had info in precup porting. Is it worth it on an IDI....

Rob changed out the BEB's in my HZed. I plan on using the best synthetic oil available in the bugger. Those bearings should last a good long time....

Oh, and an oil bypass filter as well.:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom