Where Has Your 80 Taken You?: 80 Series Camping/Overland/Adventure Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Firepoint to crazy jug
North rim grand canyon
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

These three trips started around the end of March.
The first epic two weeks:
1. the first epic two weeks.png

started off with a bit of wrenching in Calgary which is detailed somewhere on this ginormous forum. For all I know it was the first time my 1hd-t had a valve adjustment, and the injectors serviced. This would have been somewhere around 186 000 km. Did a bit of logging road driving around Nanaimo, and Cumberland. Picked up a roof top box for my snowboard gear, then it was off to Big White. 4 days of 20+ degree weather just in time for the end of season t-bar party.

Then I went tree planting, which was two months of inglorious logging roads and remote bush camps, basically running marathons every day. I'll spare you the horrors of those photographs.

I managed to wrangle a Dutch girl I met there along on the rest of my adventures. Truth be told they were half her idea anyway. I couldn't have been any luckier to have met this one.
Another Epic Two Weeks:
2. another epic two weeks.png
Started with our 4 day--turned into 5 day--birthdays bender. July 1st for Canada Day, July 2nd for mine, and July 4th for hers (we give a little nod to the States too, while we are at it).
Then Downhill mountain biking in Nelson, the lussier hot springs a quick reconnoiter of Jumbo for another upcoming trip, then back to Valhalla.

The Three Week Odyssey:
3. the three week odyssey.png

turned into just over four by the time it was all said and done. We ended up stringing three events back to back to back, and then I just tacked on a small delivery job at the end.
This was Arts Wells music festival, then out to Edge of the World Music Festival on Haida Gwaii, followed by another 4 or 5 days of camping, then back to the Kootenays for the real jumbo trip. After that I drove my favourite lady down to Seattle so she could get ready for Burning Man.
That's where my trips stopped. Well over 13000 kms. I had one of these most amazing spring/summers, unfortunately it is time to get a job again. :crybaby:

Some Pictures from Haida Gwaii:
Pesuta Shipwreck at 5:30am
Rose spit: Roof Top tent is also a good platform for a victory photo. let's race the rising tide 30 kms to the end of the spit and back.
Consulting Adventure Map on the logging roads out toward Rennell Sound.
Camping next to the beach at dead tree grounds.

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

drove out to Vernal, UT for son's mtn bike race. "Camping" with a group in a developed area every once in a while reminds me why we try to stay off the beaten path a bit. FYI: running your noisyass generator after dark when your rv is surrounded by other campers is bad form. Don't be surprised if the neighbors retaliate by jamming fiddle music into the night ;)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
While we were out that way, spent a day/night checking out Dinosaur National Monument...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
The plan was to camp at one of the over a dozen campsites at one of the three campgrounds along the Tallulah River about 20 miles northwest of Clayton, GA. However, when my friends and I got there late Friday night (yes, I know) and all three campgrounds were full, we had to come up with a plan B. Plan B was to drive back into Clayton to get a cell signal, and call our friend who was driving up from St. Petersburg, FL with his friend (a newbie to the whole off-road driving thing) and let them know that we were going to try for a campsite on Sarah's Creek, about 10 miles east of Clayton. If we didn't call back, they were to look for us there Saturday morning. Long story short, we found a couple of sites and got set up and finally went to bed right after 2:00 a.m.

I forgot to get any photos of the actual campsite, but here are a few from our wanders this weekend:

20161015_124635.jpg
Matte.jpg
This one.jpg

Offroad camping/backpacking with some of my Students, Southern Utah. Super fun trip. Big Thanks to Kelbelicious for volunteering!

1.JPG
2.JPG
5.JPG
9.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom