Where did you mount your trailer brake controller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@DPA200, mine is similar but on the left side.

I may eventually go with the Redarc. Occasionally I want to adjust the brakes - seems like when they warm up they are more sensitive than when cold and while mine normally work great when I've been in the city for a while they seem to warm up and then lock up easily. Adjusting the IQ requires me to lean and reach down, which is inconvenient if not also kind of unsafe.

Yup, I get this too. Seems to be the nature of trailer drum brakes.

First couple miles, my trailer brakes are soft. So I dial my gain to ~12.1V on my Prodigy and Airstream combination. After some brake applications, the brakes become pretty aggressive at that setting. So I incrementally back it off to ~11.5V. On the Prodigy P3, it's a simple one button up/down arrow adjustment. The readout allows me to know the specific gain setting and if the trailer brakes are working as expected.

I so want to do the Redarc for its slick interface, but don't want to give up the nice feedback and diagnostic functions of the P3.

This is all new to me, I've just towed lightweight snowmobile and MC trailers in the past that didn't have brakes.

Looking at a camper with electric brakes now. is this what I need for a 2010 LX with the 7pin plug already factory installed under the bumper? Then search for wiring to mate to it above drivers footwell (after removing panels)?

Brake Controller for 2010 Lexus LX 570 | etrailer.com

Thx,

Jeff

This is all new to me, I've just towed lightweight snowmobile and MC trailers in the past that didn't have brakes.

Looking at a camper with electric brakes now. is this what I need for a 2010 LX with the 7pin plug already factory installed under the bumper? Then search for wiring to mate to it above drivers footwell (after removing panels)?

Brake Controller for 2010 Lexus LX 570 | etrailer.com

Thx,

Jeff

I strongly recommend a proportional controller, unlike the preset one you linked to. I didn't track down the LC/LX connector, but that may come with it if you order for a specific vehicle. Just call etrailer and they will set you up with whatever you need for your 570.

Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional Redarc Brake Controller

Thanks, didn't notice that, I plugged in my vehicle and looked for a Redarc and factory 7 pin combo. I'll call them to order so I don't accidently get the wrong one.

thanks

I was looking at these various mounts and am wondering how well they work?

as the directions say to mount it horizontal in the direction of travel.

So I'm looking at these as I have the same brake controller and am looking at where would be the best place to mount it.

At least I have the plug install correctly.

Is it OK to mount it on the 45 or 50 degree angle?

There are several of the mounts on the front on these angles .. and few with it horizontal.

1550887120629-png.1911412

Just did this today. Velcro.

View attachment 1536694

1550887120629.png

Thanks ... and after I did more searching I found it is OK to have it mounted at an angle .. provided it's not on an angle horizontally (side to side). .. Messages on etrailer.com and on some other web sites also. .. I think this is just for the P3 and the others work best level.

It has been a couple years since I installed mine but I seem remember reading the same thing. OK to tilt front to back but not much side to side. I seem to remember something about some internal leveling ability. Mine is fairly close to level side to side but not front to back and it has worked great.

I ended up going with a REDARC trailer brake and using that small coin compartment left of the steering wheel for the control. I 3D printed a bracket to hold the knob and double sided taped it into place. I cut a small hole in the top of the compartment for the cable to exit. I found it easier to replace the factory cable with one I already had since the ends were smaller and it was easier to fit. Note: I ran out of black ABS so ended up printing in white. As soon as a I get more black I'll make a new one. At least the white shows up better in the photo.
trailer brake.jpg

I have the Redarc controller and it looks (or at least could pass for) factory to me.

Here's where I mounted the Redarc button on my 2010 LX. All of the slots were used, so I removed the button that disables the automatic rear hatch. I never saw any need to do that. Just in case though, I zip tied the switch so it wouldn't accidentally enable and stashed the switch just behind the panel within easy reach.

I like this location because in an emergency situation I can easily hit it with the back of my right hand without having to search for the button. I even practiced a few times and it is a very natural action.

Hmm. Just noticed that gap in my panels. I'd better go check that out. :oops:

IMG_2170.JPG

I ended up going with a REDARC trailer brake and using that small coin compartment left of the steering wheel for the control. I 3D printed a bracket to hold the knob and double sided taped it into place. I cut a small hole in the top of the compartment for the cable to exit. I found it easier to replace the factory cable with one I already had since the ends were smaller and it was easier to fit. Note: I ran out of black ABS so ended up printing in white. As soon as a I get more black I'll make a new one. At least the white shows up better in the photo.View attachment 2250231

Great solution. Unlike the LCs, all the button locations in LX are fully populated. I may do the same. Thanks for posting.

It is difficult to find a good spot in the cockpit of the LX, so I decided to go a different route than most when it comes to finding the right / ergonomic location.
To me it looks good and works properly without getting in the way.
It is the V3 version ordered directly from Australia (yet to be tested but supposedly comes with an upgraded software)
Pics to follow this post from my phone

Last edited:
No issues with hitting it with the knee or any other interference.
Here you go:

20200317_141240.jpg

20200317_141029.jpg

20200317_145010.jpg

20200317_145226.jpg

Mounted mine like this (a while ago):

iQWCMzG.jpg

Minor trimming was required on the back of the panel:

omwWFIn.jpg

Fits & works great.

Eng3ehZ.jpg

Bringing up an old thread, does anyone have any recommendations for an adhesive strip that works on the LX pebbled plastic dash? For mounting a tekonsha. Have tried a couple of things, no dice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom