wheeling Thanksgiving? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like Sir Titus is puting together a run on Saturday for Lower and Upper Ajax. I'mm planning on attending this one then camping on Saturday night. My camping location however will be limited to a location that I can get the Tacoma to however. It's a little difficult camping from the 40 besides I'm gonna try out the new tent this weekend and It's a Tacoma only thing for that one.

Is everyone going to meet before heading out? If so, when and where and what time?

Thanks

could someone please post meeting time/place for the Ajax run? We'll try to make it.

If anybody wants to wheel any other time this long weekend, feel free to give us a call. (we haven't really made up our mind yet on any specifics, but are available Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday).

Y'all have a nice Thanksgiving! Claudia

Last edited:
we are camping at the ajax mill there is bypass all the way up a 2wd can make it there it is on dec 3

did Sunflower Mine Loop on Saturday - report

Hi,

us old peole didn't get out of Fountain Hills until 11, but were determined to try the Sunflower Loop Trail for the first time. The weather started out cold and overcast, and the cruiser was running like crap (clue: we retarded the timing to specs for the emissions testing - BTW made it), but acceleration up Beeline was so bad we had to exit and advance the distributor (Michael had the timing light with him, talk about prepared). After that it was back to old times.

Hit FR25 maybe by 11:45, made good time and met quite a few motorbikes and quads in a large group, and some others following. They told us about a group of Toyota trucks (but that was the same guy who complimeted me "nice Jeep - had one these myself back when" :eek:) and presumably a full size Chevy laboring to get through a rocky section after the "steep hill". Well, we never quite found that rocky section - instead, there were some hair-raising off-camber spots; and we never caught up to that group.

We did meet, at the high point, a group consisting of a Jeep Rubicon, some first timers (in real nice trucks, I should say, newer Ford and Chevy full size), and Cherokee with an air locker (pfffffft). We left before them, and again met one of the motorcycle guys who told us that he had seen the Jeep lift tire(s) in the air some 3 feet, and we could see waayyy in the distance that they were at an obstacle with many deep ruts and two good lines, either to the outside. Someone seemed to be in the middle, maybe for a poser picture?

At any rate, we picked up some trash on the way out, aired up at the blacktop and drove home on Beeline. We noticed a group of three on the shoulder with two newer (80's? or 4-runners) Toyotas that didn' seem to have trouble, and unfortunately, a red sportscar (prolly rolled, the front pillars were flat) in the ditch with at least 4-8 police around and a helicopter in the median (the guy was lucky, there was a regular turn-off that they used as a helipad right by where he crashed), it didn't look good, though. The wind had picked up quite a bit, and we took it a clean 60 mph home. Saw a hideous vehicle right at the Beeline-Shea intersection: a typical Chevy type conversion van with those long vertical side windows, on at least 6" lift (I think more) on large tires. Go figure.............

As far as the trail: good clearance a must, rear locker most advisable, AZ pinstripes very likely (although those two first timers still looked quite acceptable), low hanging tree branches, very likely to wash out again at those off-camber spots and in the creeks.

The weather turned sunny only on the high spots where the pictures don't show that well, otherwise overcast, nothing much to show, sorry. We really liked the trail, varying scenery from desert to pine forest, and varying terrain as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom