Wheel hub inner bearing play. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck is a 1990 4wd pickup. Alignment shop said they could not align correctly due to wheel bearing play on the driver's side. Took it apart today, and yes, the tapered outer bearing seems to be toast. Inner bearing looks and feels fine centrifugally. It does move in line with the spindle axis but I assume this is normal? I don't want to wreak a good seal and bearing if I don't need to.

When you say toast, how bad was it? It may have put an abnormal load on the inner bearing for a while. You might get lucky but, if it were mine I'd just get both bearing sets and a new seal.

They have both done the same amount of turns, thus they wear in a pair. Replace both I say. Bearings are good for a long time if serviced. Every now and again after x miles or mud holes, routinely repack the bearings and replace the seal. But if 1 of 2 fails, 2 isnt far behind.

I agree, if you are going to pull the hub you might as well do both.

Generally I disassemble, inspect and re-pack the front hubs annually. It's just that the seal and bearing on the inside look immaculate. I am waiting on parts from Toyota at the moment. Could be a while with the pandemic. I got a SKF bearing today, but I don't trust it as much as OEM. I should get an ETA tomorrow from toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom