Wheel Bearing ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2001LC

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone know the proper orientation for the wheel bearing adjusting nut & locking nut?

I've put flat side of adjusting nut in against claw washer, and the locking washer flat side out last bearing service in 2010.
Edit 9-27-15
Again I oriented (picture 2) adjusting nut with flat side in, as it puts the most surface area on claw washer (flat side in) & aligns truest to bearing contact point. Slee Off-Road agrees with me on this one.

Also I again went with locking nut flat side out, and Lock washers Flat side in. This put smoothest sides contacting, which allows for less bind while torqueing to 47 ft-lb and matches contact point of adjusting nut. It does give a bit less of area for the 54mm socket with this orientation, but easily compensated for.

This orientation also give a very tight lock when bending tabs, taking advantage of curve of nuts.
038.JPG
039.JPG

Last edited:
picture #1 correct position - remember to have locking washer in between.
Thank you skhochay. Would you mind explaining why this is correct orientation or how you know this?

Was that the first repack since factory?

I didn't do my first as it was used. They were every which way. Had bad issue with grooving of claw washer, which I believe from being a too lose adjusting nut.

Was that the first repack since factory?

I didn't do my first as it was used. They were every which way. Had bad issue with grooving of claw washer, which I believe from being a too lose adjusting nut.
I got used when it was only 35,000 miles so I do not think so

That is a close call, since 30k is recommended and warranty would require. Thanks a bunch for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom