What's that sound? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife calls me crazy, but I go nuts tracking down sounds in our GX. All I want to hear is that V8 purr!

So what clinks, squeaks, pops, bangs, squeals, clicks, chirps, whines or rattles have you had, and what fixed them? I know many sounds aren't particular to a GX, but some might be and I figured it could be nice to compile some of them. I'll try and keep a running list in this post.

Clanging from lower front DS felt in foot well.
Loose battery mount banging on fender well over bumps.

Front clanging / rattle that goes away during braking
Brake pad slap due to lack of caliper anti-rattle pins

Popping/clunking when front suspension cycles.
LCA frame bolts not torqued properly.
Worn sway bar bushings.
Worn sway bar end links.
Worn ball joints.
Worn control arm bushings.
Shock body contacting knuckle (rotate shock body).

Popping/clunking when rear suspension cycles.
Worn upper shock bushings.
OEM airbag suspension rolling over itself as it expands and contracts.
Rear lower control arm mount (frame side) bent contacting rear lower control arm
Worn sway bar bushings.
Worn sway bar end links.
Spare tire cable is loose.

Sunroof rattle.
Worn or loose track/cable.

Whirring that changes with speed and turning.
Worn wheel bearings

DS A-pillar rattling.
Loose wire bundle.

Tapping/clicking behind the dash.
AC airflow servos.

Squeaking steering column when adjusting/resetting position.
Dried up worm gears under column - add grease.

Inconsistent tinny/metallic clattering/tinking from the underside while moving.
Damaged or loose exhaust heat shields tapping the body or exhaust system.
Exhaust system expanding / contracting as it heats / cools.

Rattle coming from the door with loud music.
Wood trim piece above the door armrest was the culprit, not the speakers.

Louder engine tick when the engine is cold.
Exhaust header leak.

Clicking/popping from front end while turning.
Worn CVs, check for tear/leak.

Chirping from rear
Hitch receiver handle nuts rubbing frame
Loose headliner velcro or wire bundles

Chirping from front
Hood rubbing

.......?

Last edited:
Great thread! The GX is so quiet that everything is noticeable. one day I was driving 40mph down the road and heard a clinking. What is that?!?! It ended up being my keys hanging from the ignition and the other (non car) keys bumping into each other!

Another one is
tapping/clicking behind the dash
AC airflow servos

Squeaking steering column when adjusting/resetting position
dried up worm gears under column - add grease

I havent been able to find the source of this but it seems to be coming up from the floor just behind the DS rear seat. and in front of the 3rd row seat. There is a light metallic "Tink Tink Tink" sound that happens when I am driving 10-40mph (after that I think the tire/road/wind noise covers it up) I have also heard it *sometimes* when the car is off and I kick the rear DS tire. Guessing it is something loose/worn down there but I havent seen anything yet.

That is the heat shield on top of your muffler :p

Inconsistent tinny/metallic clattering from the underside while moving.

Exhaust header leak.

Rear lower control arm mount (frame side) bent contacting rear lower control arm

Great! Yeah I've had the heat shield tink before too but it comes and goes.

Also the other day I got back from wheelin and my CVs were popping sporadically at almost full lock. I jacked up the front end, gave the wheels a few rotations, heard one more pop and now it's fine. I guess there was some binding that hadn't worked itself out!

Last edited:
Found another one today - but from our Tundra not the GX. Mystery rear clunk was from the spare tire knocking due to a slightly loose retaining cable!

The bane of my existence...

I caught one that almost resulted in a 2k miles old LCA being replaced. It was a clunk felt in the driver's side footwell each time the suspension cycled.

The culprit was an Icon shock body that had rotated along an axis that allowed it to contact the mount at the knuckle on right hand turns. Turned the shock body and no more noise.

Had a very un-Lexus-like cricket chirping noise from the rear cargo area, thought it was a seatbelt or seat hinge or loose tie-down hook as it was very loud and high-pitched and sounded like surely it was coming from inside the vehicle. I pulled over many times and punched seats and jumped up and down in the cargo area trying to track down the noise. Turned out to be the "handle nuts" (item 5 in the pic) for my receiver - one of the metal bars was rubbing the frame every time the chassis flexed even the least bit. I left the bars attached in case the nuts ever need extracting. I simply bent the bar away from the frame and all fixed.

Screenshot_20190923-160743.jpg

@James C - you are doing the lords work my friend.

I have another one for your collection. I cannot take credit for the diagnosis but it was driving me insane:

Brake pad slap due to lack of caliper anti-rattle pins (official name?)

Described there as: "metal lid jumping on a pot of boiling water"

This could easily be confused with your first one (battery mount rattle) if you were only reading the text description. (I doubt they actually sound the same).

For future searchers: Lexus GX470 metal clanging rattle sound from front brakes - brake pad slap rattle clips

Has anyone replaced the servo that controls the recirc/ fresh air door? It's the one to the right side of the glovebox on the passenger side. Mine is making noise after I already replaced the other passenger side servos. Wondering how involved it is to access, I assume the blower motor will have to come out.

@James C - you are doing the lords work my friend.

I have another one for your collection. I cannot take credit for the diagnosis but it was driving me insane:

Brake pad slap due to lack of caliper anti-rattle pins (official name?)

Described there as: "metal lid jumping on a pot of boiling water"

This could easily be confused with your first one (battery mount rattle) if you were only reading the text description. (I doubt they actually sound the same).

For future searchers: Lexus GX470 metal clanging rattle sound from front brakes - brake pad slap rattle clips
Thank you for this!!! Driving in the passenger seat last night with the window rolled down I thought the front end had something serious about to fall apart. After crawling underneath it this morning and some research on this forum I found the clip on the caliper had become disconnected. What a relief to clip it back in place and noise disappeared.

The rear squeak coming from the back seats or from somewhere underneath the back seats. Haven't been able to move anything from under around the chassis to replicate the sound but I was able to smack the seats and create it. I drove with the rear driver side seat folded down and it was 50% quieter. I'll try the passenger side later and see if that fixes that.

The rear squeak coming from the back seats or from somewhere underneath the back seats. Haven't been able to move anything from under around the chassis to replicate the sound but I was able to smack the seats and create it. I drove with the rear driver side seat folded down and it was 50% quieter. I'll try the passenger side later and see if that fixes that.

I had this noise as well, turned out it was the latches that connect to the floorboards. Tilt the seats up and give the latches a quick spray of lube, hopefully it works for you as well! :)

Thank you for this!!! Driving in the passenger seat last night with the window rolled down I thought the front end had something serious about to fall apart. After crawling underneath it this morning and some research on this forum I found the clip on the caliper had become disconnected. What a relief to clip it back in place and noise disappeared.

@trd4x4 No problem! Mine were old and worn out and kept coming un-done - I actually had to use 2 of the retainer springs on each front brake before. They are at Oreillys for less than $5 for 4 brand new ones.

I had this noise as well, turned out it was the latches that connect to the floorboards. Tilt the seats up and give the latches a quick spray of lube, hopefully it works for you as well! :)
That's exactly what it turned out to be. All greased up and quiet now. Also took care of the sunroof rattle. Just a loose screw but I added a nylon washer to it in hopes it would warp the nylon in between the metal. That's also nice and quiet now.

My wife calls me crazy, but I go nuts tracking down sounds in our GX. All I want to hear is that V8 purr!

So what clinks, squeaks, pops, bangs, squeals, clicks, chirps, whines or rattles have you had, and what fixed them? I know many sounds aren't particular to a GX, but some might be and I figured it could be nice to compile some of them. I'll try and keep a running list in this post.

Clanging from lower front DS felt in foot well.
Loose battery mount banging on fender well over bumps.

Front clanging / rattle that goes away during braking
Brake pad slap due to lack of caliper anti-rattle pins

Popping/clunking when front suspension cycles.
LCA frame bolts not torqued properly.
Worn sway bar bushings.
Worn sway bar end links.
Worn ball joints.
Worn control arm bushings.
Shock body contacting knuckle (rotate shock body).

Worn sway bar bushings.
Worn sway bar end links.
Spare tire cable is loose.

Sunroof rattle.
Worn or loose track/cable.

Whirring that changes with speed and turning.
Worn wheel bearings

DS A-pillar rattling.
Loose wire bundle.

Tapping/clicking behind the dash.
AC airflow servos.

Squeaking steering column when adjusting/resetting position.
Dried up worm gears under column - add grease.

Inconsistent tinny/metallic clattering/tinking from the underside while moving.
Exhaust system expanding / contracting as it heats / cools.

Exhaust header leak.

Clicking/popping from front end while turning.
Worn CVs, check for tear/leak.

Chirping from rear
Hitch receiver handle nuts rubbing frame
Loose headliner velcro or wire bundles

Chirping from front
Hood rubbing

.......?
I've been chasing a pop/clunk in the front end when the suspension cycles since I got my 03 GX 4 years ago. Since then, I've replaced UCA and LCA with ball joints, CVs, sway bar bushings and end links, outer tie rod ends, and springs and struts with 5100s (they need replaced but the sound was there before I installed them) and Dobinsons and it's still there. When you say rotate shock body, do you mean removing it and spinning it 180*? I'm at a complete loss thus far. It drives smooth and straight for the most part- a little bit of bump steering has crept in over the last few months but nothing huge and hasn't changed the sound. The shop in town has taken it out and their answer is, "well it's got 198k on it so you're gonna have to deal with it". I don't buy it but I'm fresh out of ideas. I'm starting to lean towards mounts but that doesn't explain the sound when the suspension cycles. Thanks for putting together this list- it'll definitely make for a more quiet ride when I work through it.
Pat

I've been chasing a pop/clunk in the front end when the suspension cycles since I got my 03 GX 4 years ago. Since then, I've replaced UCA and LCA with ball joints, CVs, sway bar bushings and end links, outer tie rod ends, and springs and struts with 5100s (they need replaced but the sound was there before I installed them) and Dobinsons and it's still there. When you say rotate shock body, do you mean removing it and spinning it 180*? I'm at a complete loss thus far. It drives smooth and straight for the most part- a little bit of bump steering has crept in over the last few months but nothing huge and hasn't changed the sound. The shop in town has taken it out and their answer is, "well it's got 198k on it so you're gonna have to deal with it". I don't buy it but I'm fresh out of ideas. I'm starting to lean towards mounts but that doesn't explain the sound when the suspension cycles. Thanks for putting together this list- it'll definitely make for a more quiet ride when I work through it.
Pat
You'll have to ask @ArBrnSnpr about the shock body noise as that was their contribution not mine. As for other culprits in the front, you can check:

Worn LCA frame bushings (if they weren't replaced with the ball joints) - same for uppers

Loose LCA cam tab bolts (alignment shops often under-torque these, off the top of my head I think it's around 100 ft-lbs) - also check UCA through-bolt torque

Loose battery will knock on the fender well

Under-torqued CV axle nut

LCA contacting skid plate

Loose front bumpstop

Cracked front diff support

Sliders contacting body

Unless your body mounts are visibly worn i doubt they're the culprit. There's a lot of stuff up front that can clank around if it's loose when the front cycles.

I'll add one to the list here. If you hear a groan or creaking sound from the front suspension like an old bed frame bending, the bushing on your shock has failed and the shaft is undergoing rapid fatigue cycling until it also fails. This happened the day before I was supposed to replace the suspension anyways but was scary when it popped!

20201119_075656.jpg

That's exactly what it turned out to be. All greased up and quiet now. Also took care of the sunroof rattle. Just a loose screw but I added a nylon washer to it in hopes it would warp the nylon in between the metal. That's also nice and quiet now.
How did you access the loose screw for your sunroof rattle ? My sunroof rattles like crazy and its driving me nuts !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom