What's it worth?…'83 BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of moving on to a 70 series and so the 42 will likely go. Looking for collective IH8MUD wisdom to help come up with a fair asking price and hoping to sell it to someone here.

Full disclosure…I made the terrible mistake of buying this from Vintage Offroad, before discovering IH8MUD. Due to my naiveté and lack of intelligence it should go without saying I lost some money on this one. Mechanically it's very sound but it needs a sh*t ton of sheet metal work or an easy 3/4 Aqualu tub. I daily drove this for the last 5-6 years and it could continue to do so. I believe the mileage to be accurate at 258,000ish km but who knows.

Specs:

THE GOOD
-November 1983 build date JDM BJ42, 24V, RHD
-3b w/ aftermarket turbo from Diesel42 just installed (dropped oil pan for return line, blasted, primed and painted and resealed with OEM pan gasket--bottom end looked good with clean oil and NOTHING else)
-Amaurer's updated gauge cluster with new mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges and ammeter gauge along with EL wire (still working out a grounding issue)
-Aftermarket Isspro pyrometer, boost gauges (still working on wiring)
-Compression on all cylinders mid-400s
-New glow plugs (super glow system)
-Rebuilt rotary IP (no EDIC) as well as injectors by certified Denso shop
-Cooling system just overhauled with rebuilt OEM radiator, new heater valve, hoses (t-stat already replaced a few years ago)
-New OEM/Aisin clutch master and slave cylinders and brake master cylinder within the last few years.
-Front discs, rear drums (need servicing)
-4 speed
-Factory A/C, power steering
-31 x 10.5 BFG AT w/ ~50% tread on stock steelies (including spare)
-24V-12V solar converter
-CCOT HFS front bumper

Things that would/could be included in the sale would be an H55 from an '85 BJ73 that had ~250,000km on it, bought from a member here. Also have Mopdog's aftermarket but OEMish diesel tachometer (not installed). Paki soft top bows and Paki grey vinyl bikini top. Real steel OEMish bolt on tailgate. Toyota FSMs. A few other little bits and pieces (Marlin inner seals, some weather stripping, extra oil pan)

THE BAD
-The body (see pics)
-Needs new rear crossmember and diagonals, maybe frame rails from hangers back but can't really tell without taking a wire wheel to it, or blasting (rest of frame is solid with surface rust)
-Needs brake and knuckle servicing
-Leaf springs are TIRED, could use a nice OME lift
-Front axle housing may be slightly bent as evidenced by my difficulty with getting birfield in and out when servicing and reappearance of leaking knuckle

And now the pics...
BJ42 profile.JPG
BJ42 driver rear quarter.JPG
BJ42 passenger rear quarter.JPG
BJ42 engine bay.JPG
BJ42 rear.JPG

Forgot to add it has new headlights and 24V bulbs all around and I put in a new heater core and rehabbed the heater with MetricTLC's kit.

More pics...
BJ42 front clip.JPG
BJ42 front fender.JPG
BJ42 interior.JPG
BJ42 interior 2.JPG
BJ42 gauge cluster.JPG

Pix of the frame would solidify how much rust repair is needed. The body is a mess, but if the rear half of the frame is Swiss cheese, that makes the repair even less fun. Can you post additional photos?

Yes, body is a mess..."sh*t ton of sheet metal work or an easy 3/4 Aqualu tub"

Frame is solid back to shackle hangers. What you see is peeling paint from frame and surface rust, no rot.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It probably needs $600 worth of steel from Awl_TEQ...
image.jpg

Interesting, is this the original engine? I did not know they came with the rotary pump in the BJ42s. And it's a 4 speed? Is that original?
The 5 speed from the 73 will bolt on to it, but the shifter plate will be a problem.

I am probably more negative than some, but my summary would be as follows:

The body is shot, you know that.
The frame looks poor, although not horrible-is there a crack in pic #2 of the above post?

The RHD makes it less desirable.

The turbo is nice to have,

The engine has relatively high miles, even for 3B. with 180k miles it could go another 200k or be dead in 2.

it's 5k truck if you are very lucky.

cheers,
J

Thanks for the input Jan-78FJ40. I'm hoping you are a bit on the negative side but we'll see. It's original engine and drive train. I've learned, from others, that you can find all sorts of different parts on these JDMs. Frame is surface rust excluding the rear 10". Just checked, it's not a crack in pic #2, just peeling paint.

I feel like there's more than $5000 in parts so maybe it's destined to be parted out. Turbo kit >$2000, solid 3B with excellent compression despite "relatively high miles", rebuilt fuel delivery system, 5 speed swap available (even w/ shifter plate issue requiring modified transmission hump) and split case probably worth north of $2000, factory A/C and power steering, rebuilt OEM radiator, 1 year old stock steelies in good condition probably total >$1000. And on and on with other parts that could fetch some more.

At any rate, thanks again for the input. Hopefully some others will chime :cheers:

I think I remember seeing a thread where someone had mentioned a spreadsheet they used to add up all the parts average value to compare parting out to selling. Though parting out does seem like an evil thing to do, sometimes it makes the most financial sense, and it helps keep other cruisers on the road

If you have time throw it on craigslist or somewhere and slap a 8k price tag on it or whatever you were thinking just to see the reaction. You never know what people will pay. You will have to deal with tire kickers though these attract those, but it could give you an idea of what your market would pay for it.

If you listed the parts like the rear frame cross-member you have on here and where to get it and the price for people to see what they would need to spend to get rid of some of the problems that might help sell to someone not in the know. It looks good until you focus closely on the rusty tub. Dont get to down all of these have problems with the tub.

I dont know what your wanting to get out of it but good luck. Looks like it has potential to be a good project

Last edited:
I think it's too nice to part out. Not every truck should be parted. I see a ton of nice 60s and 62s being parted due to a blown head gasket, which is a lame reason to part an otherwise sound truck. I would price it closer to 8-10K and see who shows up to buy it.

The frame doesn't look that bad to me but as you say, you probably need to take a wire wheel to it to be sure. Even what little i can see of the angle braces in back doesn't look bad. Sure lots of peeling paint and surface rust but that can be dealt with. I've also seen lots worse bodies that yours too. Some 16 gauge sheet metal and a little MIG welder and it could be made almost as nice as new. All the doors look pretty solid and the interior is nice so I would think it's a long way from a parts rig, at least I hope you won't part it out. Why don't you try to sell it back to Vintage Off Road?

Thanks guys. Now I'm feeling a little better. I was thinking in the high single digits, $7-9kish, not looking to squeeze every penny out of it but enough for a good start on a new toy. I think it's too solid of a truck to part out but if that's what everyone suggested I may have considered it. This would be a great project for someone who knows how to weld. That's why I hope someone on the forum will be interested.

Maybe I should put the H55 in, fix the rear frame while putting a 3/4 Aqualu tub on it, paint it and see if I fall in love again...of course that's a ton of money for labor (prep and paint).

Thanks for the input Jan-78FJ40. I'm hoping you are a bit on the negative side but we'll see. It's original engine and drive train. I've learned, from others, that you can find all sorts of different parts on these JDMs. Frame is surface rust excluding the rear 10". Just checked, it's not a crack in pic #2, just peeling paint.

I feel like there's more than $5000 in parts so maybe it's destined to be parted out. Turbo kit >$2000, solid 3B with excellent compression despite "relatively high miles", rebuilt fuel delivery system, 5 speed swap available (even w/ shifter plate issue requiring modified transmission hump) and split case probably worth north of $2000, factory A/C and power steering, rebuilt OEM radiator, 1 year old stock steelies in good condition probably total >$1000. And on and on with other parts that could fetch some more.

At any rate, thanks again for the input. Hopefully some others will chime :cheers:

I hope the same for you :)

Put it up at a price you are comfortable with, and see if someone bites. An honest description goes a long way.

If not, as has been said here, the parts are worth quite a bit, it is just a lot more work.

cheers,
Jan

I agree with what was posted above- $7-9 thousand. In my opinion, these trucks are worth what some random enthusiast is willing to pay for them.. You might price it at $8500 and see it sit for 2 months, then someone will offer you $8000 and it'll be gone. My truck, for example, was for sale for 2 months for $6500. It's in great shape, frame needs a little attention, but it had 198k km on it, new tires, full rewire, service records etc. I'm the second owner, which helps. My truck is an original Canadian vehicle though, which of course makes it a bit more desirable to most of us LHD folks. BUT I live on an island and yota prices are lower here in general.

Anyways, given what you've said, I'd totally be confident pricing it at $8500. You should be able to sell it no problem. No harm in waiting it out and seeing who bites.

Considering it is a BJ and it is the later style body with the different center dash it is definetly close to 10K.Replacing the quarter panels and rear frame crosmember is not the end of the world!

It is a sweet truck and a 3b turbo is hard to beat in a 40

Closing the loop...

Not sure what it's worth but I know I sold it between the low opinion of $5000 and the high of $10,000 after asking $9500 OBO. Probably could have gotten more if I waited it out but am happy it's going to another Mudder who will nurture her back to glory.

Thanks for the input

I almost forgot, this replaced it!

20140908_093608.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom