1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was that noise?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Bodean, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Bodean

Bodean SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The other day I was cruising down my street when I saw something and decided to back up and go down a dirt drive. I have a 78 FJ40 with a Detroit in the rear. I backed up and when I clutched and coasted while braking a big bang came from the rear. This Detroit has been in this truck for about 5 years and has been pretty quiet so far. A little ratcheting in corners but doesn't load up and bang like my lock rite used to. I was driving the truck Sunday and several times while driving straight down the road at about 45mph I felt a hesitation or like a gear didn't want to mesh right. Almost like a binding. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. numtel

numtel

Take off the diff cover and see if there are any little metal chunks in there. If there are you'll probably need a new gearset installed.

3. Bodean

Bodean SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    That was my next move. I really don't want to hear that though!!

Thanks!

4. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Popping and banging is normal in some situations like you describe. If it runs and doesn't make noise most of the time, no harm no foul.

5. wantatlc

wantatlc

yeah, I hear/feel this every once in a while with my rig in the rear with a Detroit locker. I was told in the past, and assumed, it was the locker. no other issues in normal day to day and offroad, just now and then - BANG....

6. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

can't hurt to check but that sounds like a detroit sound (normal) by dad said when his old chev's locked in it made the loud bang like that.

7. Bodean

Bodean SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Pulled the cover off the rear and it looked great in there! I jacked it up and put it on jack stands and rotated the gears. Nothing out of place. Oh well?? I'll just take some advice that a trans. guy gave me one time "drive that thing till it quits, I've never seen anything that overbuilt"

Thanks!

8. my64fj40

my64fj40

Sounds like a typical Detroit to me ;)

Load and kinda scary, why I got one

9. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

Fixed if your ya :flipoff2:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">