What was that noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bodean

Hot Damn
Threads
The other day I was cruising down my street when I saw something and decided to back up and go down a dirt drive. I have a 78 FJ40 with a Detroit in the rear. I backed up and when I clutched and coasted while braking a big bang came from the rear. This Detroit has been in this truck for about 5 years and has been pretty quiet so far. A little ratcheting in corners but doesn't load up and bang like my lock rite used to. I was driving the truck Sunday and several times while driving straight down the road at about 45mph I felt a hesitation or like a gear didn't want to mesh right. Almost like a binding. Any ideas?

Thanks!

That was my next move. I really don't want to hear that though!!

Thanks!

Bodean said:
That was my next move. I really don't want to hear that though!!

Thanks!

Popping and banging is normal in some situations like you describe. If it runs and doesn't make noise most of the time, no harm no foul.

yeah, I hear/feel this every once in a while with my rig in the rear with a Detroit locker. I was told in the past, and assumed, it was the locker. no other issues in normal day to day and offroad, just now and then - BANG....

Pulled the cover off the rear and it looked great in there! I jacked it up and put it on jack stands and rotated the gears. Nothing out of place. Oh well?? I'll just take some advice that a trans. guy gave me one time "drive that thing till it quits, I've never seen anything that overbuilt"

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom