What Roof Cargo Box Fits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With two kids, two dogs, skis, sleds, and enough wet clothes to keep the truck fogged up for a week, I need to get the gear out of the cabin. I ran my hitch basket and skis on the roof this past weekend, but the basket just collects slush and the sleds don't fit in the ski rack. Even leaving the dogs home its crowed for overnights. I've done a little research and it looks like allot of boxes hit the spoiler. If anyone is running a Box that works please let me know. Thanks!

Yakima sky box 21 fits fine on both factory and Gobi Stealth (current) racks. Affectionately known as the "coffin" in our house! No clearance issues on either tip or tail.

THULE Sonic XL. 9 feet long. Fits tons of gear and fits stock rack system.

Thule Evolution 1600..I think it's discontinued now, but dealers still have stock or have updated of the same.

Fits stock rails - no roof spoiler or shark antenna interference.

Been very good.......

P1020792_zpse7e6e895.jpg~original

P1020793_zps2d3ca9e1.jpg~original

And keep in mind that if you're really traveling "heavy" you can fit the Thule rack system to the factory rack. With the 64 inch load bars you can use 2 side by side of at least some of the boxes mentioned above, or a box and a ski rack, or a box and a kayak rack, etc. Just watch total weight on the roof.

We use the Thule Sonic XL as well and will second that there are no issues and plenty of room.

I have Thule Hyper XL box along with the whole Thule system with feet and aero cross bars. The stock bars were not strong enough and vibrated. The Thule bars are very strong and don't move at all. I also use the Thule ski and bike attachments on it.

IMG_5908.JPG

Yakima Rocketbox, mounted to Yakima Railgrabbers. The Rocketbox could also mount to the factory rails, but they're not as stout. FYI, both sourced locally on Craigslist, spent a couple hundred total. There is a lot of used Yakima and Thule gear available for a fraction of the new prices if your willing to search.

WP_20160306_003.jpg

Thule box on stock roof rack.

IMG_6618.JPG

Another option to consider is this: Waterproof Car Top Carrier | Cars With Or Without Rack | USA-Made. Car Top Luggage Carriers have 2-yr warranty
I purchased both the 15 and 11 cu ft models on Amazon and together, they fit perfectly on my 2.2m Eezi-Awn rack. I can fit a ton of gear inside them for a family of four. I like them because, when not in use, they fold up into something smaller then a sleeping bag so storage is not an issue. I've used them for about 3 years now in all environments including multi day rain storms and sub zero temps with no issues.

The Yakima Space Case I used for years on my 4Runner, fits and works just fine.

Last edited:
IMG_4807.JPG

Yakima Space Case on my Front Runner. Works perfect. :)

Last edited:
Just want to point out that it looks like the OP has an LX570 from his signature. The LX570 rack has side rails that are shorter than the LC200. So while all these cargo boxes on the LC200 look and fit great, it may not be the same fitment for the LX570.

Note that the LC200 racks have a middle support for the longer side rail span. The LX570s rail starts farther aft, and does not have a middle support

I myself have been looking at various options, without going full bore on an expedition rack that doesn't quite fit the stock look of the LX. Potential option I've been considering is to put on the OEM LC side rail.

Last edited:
Thanks man I didn't know there was that big of a difference between the LC and the LX racks. I don't wanna go expo rack and would prefer the stock bars. I have a soft case I use on my truck occasionally, just allot of wind noise and it's not long enough for the kids sleds. I also am already running a ski rack; won't fit anything as thick as a sled. Let me know if there's an option that you know works. Worst case I'll add on bars...or buy a trailer.

I bought a blemished Thule Force XXL for $480 for a recent trip from Austin to Crested Butte.
Opening, closing, and locking the Thule was tedious and hard to do quickly in the cold weather.
Wind noise wasn't too bad.
I was concerned that the Force XXL might have too much usable room.
21 cu ft turned out to be the perfect size for a family of five with five large duffels stuffed into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom