What Power Steering Rack Is This? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

I just bought a FJ40 and need to replace the power steering rack. Was told I had a mini truck conversion so I bought a replacement which isn’t even close. Yea I should’ve confirmed before ordering. So I need to return what I bought.

Can anyone tell what type of power steering conversion was installed? And a long shot, but does anyone know what type of steering rack this is?

F65E2943-16DC-4145-8639-49A83E3388DA.jpeg

That's looks like an early minitruck pedestal mount and box. Factory 40 series power steering looks very similar. Why do you need to replace it? Pre 1983 mini truck is most likely the one you are after.

That's looks like an early minitruck pedestal mount and box. Factory 40 series power steering looks very similar. Why do you need to replace it? Pre 1983 mini truck is most likely the one you are after.

The mounting bracket looks to be riveted not bolted or welded. Most mini truck mounting are not riveted. The angle of box input shaft to mounting bracket looks greater than mini truck box and more like a OEM FJ40 power steering box. A side view would help determine which box it is.

Not a steering rack BTW it is often referred to as a steering gear or steering box.

Yea I meant to say steering box; apologies. And yea I bought an ‘81 steering box. Im dealing with it drifting and there’s a lot of play in the steering. Took it to a mechanic who said it’s the box but figure I could do the swap.
Not a steering rack BTW it is often referred to as a steering gear or steering box.
Yea I meant to say steering box; apologies. And yea I bought an ‘81 steering box. Im dealing with it drifting and there’s a lot of play in the steering. Took it to a mechanic who said it’s the box but figure I could do the swap.

The mounting bracket looks to be riveted not bolted or welded. Most mini truck mounting are not riveted. The angle of box input shaft to mounting bracket looks greater than mini truck box and more like a OEM FJ40 power steering box. A side view would help determine which box it is.
9AC56DA1-2233-415F-BCC1-3E5B9284A4C1.jpeg

Correct, it is riveted. Here’s a side angle; kinda tough with the panel in the way.

And another shot
26CC59A1-615F-48F9-9472-672D631D5552.jpeg

Rotate the wheel back and forth and inspect every tie rod and you’ll get an idea of where the slop is. If it’s tierods you’ll see the tierods shifting and not solid. If the center ram link is sloppy, that also will need rebuilding. If the slop is in the input shaft into the gearbox then it needs adjusting.

If the box is leaking get it rebuilt and whoever rebuilds it will set the sector shaft lash. If it’s not leaking then you can set the lash yourself by jacking the truck up and loosening the lock nut then slowly turning the adjustment screw in a 1/4 at a time. ( see but next to downpipe).

Each time rotate the wheel back and forth lock to lock to feel for binding. Keep going until it starts to bind then back off 1/4 or 1/2 until the binding is gone again.

I'm dealing with it drifting and there’s a lot of play in the steering
You have an OEM power steering gearbox. Since they are somewhat rare, it was probably assumed to be a mini-truck retrofit.
Many mechanics will give cursory attention to the whole system and go right to calling the box bad. Then after they get the job to fix the box, suddenly all the tie rod ends need replacing or the 'new' box won't make a difference.

Diagnose all the tie ends first and replace as necessary. Then go through the Factory Service Manual steering gear adjustment procedure. Only then will you know if the steering box needs to be rebuilt (replacements are not available). And rebuilding it yourself is very doable or there are a couple of vendors on Mud here that can do it.

Rotate the wheel back and forth and inspect every tie rod and you’ll get an idea of where the slop is. If it’s tierods you’ll see the tierods shifting and not solid. If the center ram link is sloppy, that also will need rebuilding. If the slop is in the input shaft into the gearbox then it needs adjusting.

If the box is leaking get it rebuilt and whoever rebuilds it will set the sector shaft lash. If it’s not leaking then you can set the lash yourself by jacking the truck up and loosening the lock nut then slowly turning the adjustment screw in a 1/4 at a time. ( see but next to downpipe).

Each time rotate the wheel back and forth lock to lock to feel for binding. Keep going until it starts to bind then back off 1/4 or 1/2 until the binding is gone again.
Thanks!

You have an OEM power steering gearbox. Since they are somewhat rare, it was probably assumed to be a mini-truck retrofit.
Many mechanics will give cursory attention to the whole system and go right to calling the box bad. Then after they get the job to fix the box, suddenly all the tie rod ends need replacing or the 'new' box won't make a difference.

Diagnose all the tie ends first and replace as necessary. Then go through the Factory Service Manual steering gear adjustment procedure. Only then will you know if the steering box needs to be rebuilt (replacements are not available). And rebuilding it yourself is very doable or there are a couple of vendors on Mud here that can do it.
Appreciate it! I’m only a month into this but learning a lot. Will take all the advice here and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom