What in blue blazes does this thing do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rebuilt this motor from an 87 pickup, my 88 FSM doesn’t have this thing in it. I deleted the air injection but this isn’t part of it.

F83B3BAB-AEEF-4CC7-86CE-E15C0DEBF982.jpeg

53E222C9-249C-46BB-BF2D-B7DC7E99897F.jpeg

Not sure what the question is. What are we specifically looking for?

I think he's talking about the idle air control valve. raises the idle speed until truck warms up

I think he's talking about the idle air control valve. raises the idle speed until truck warms up
Yeah the thing in the center of the 1st picture. So it’s the idle air control valve. I figured it had something to do with the engine warming up because it coolant running through the back side

I think it's built into the throttle body on some of the 22RE versions.

OK, there are 2 kinds. Early trucks have an Auxiliary Air Valve. Later trucks, usually with the straight throttle body, have a different flavor, usually called the idle air control valve that Chris mentioned. I believe the change over took place in 1989. The plumbing for the two is different.

Early Air Valve.

early AFV.jpg

Late Idle valve.

late AFV.jpg

OK, there are 2 kinds. Early trucks have an Auxiliary Air Valve. Later trucks, usually with the straight throttle body, have a different flavor, usually called the idle air control valve that Chris mentioned. I believe the change over took place in 1989. The plumbing for the two is different.

Early Air Valve.

Late Idle valve.
Thanks. That’s it, do I need to service it or just leave it alone

Nothing really to service. Just a bunch of coolant lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom