What do you want to see in Toyota Trails? (1 Viewer)

What do you want to see more of in Toyota Trails?

• Tech (like woody's hybrid axle article)

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Maintenance (like how to adjust your valves)

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • Trail Reports (like Cruise Moab 05 for example)

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • Adventure (like the Tuby Explorer Series)

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • Non-Cruiser Stuff (like mini/tcaoma/4Runner)

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other: please post in thread!

Votes: 15 7.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, these things get a thorough edit before they come close to appearing in print. In fact (call me crazy), but it's a four step process. Read initially to determine if I'm interested. Read and edited prior to layout. Read and edited again after layout. And then (hopefully only) read at the ozalid stage. Yeah, I'm usually pretty sick of these articles by the time they go to press. But no worries, you won't look silly in Trails. You'll either look good or not at all.

TJK

Chef said:
Todd will *not* let you look like a fewl in Toyota Trails. Can't guarantee about elsewhere;)

He's a really good editor, take my word for it. He writes my column every month.

chef

corrected for accuracy...

:D

I've got a couple things in the works myself....101 ways to paint a rig for $50 or less, a boring article on a trail ride/video shoot thats happening this weekend, and a photo documentary on how to do brakes on a 80 series....

I would like to see articles about build ups, cruiser build ups that is. I like to read about different mods other cruiserheads have performed in their cruisers...That would vastly improve toyota trails in my eyes, anyways keep up the good work! Listen to comments, it will work :cheers:

Kaderabek said:
All submissions are protected by copyright and may be used elsewhere by the TLCA.

TJK

that is the best part, like the pics on the website homepage, reference articles on-line written by tlca members. Content of TT reflects the nature of the org and it is a cool org though participation.

beno said:
I'm an editorial assistant for an academic journal and the rigors of publication are daunting.

best.
-onur
Akron, OH

nerd alert, nerd alert! Just kiddin' dude.

concretejungle said:
nerd alert, nerd alert! Just kiddin' dude.

As you can see I'm not a good one considering the syntactical error that TJK caught...

Nonetheless, yes, total nerd Alex... ;)

No more Tuby please.
Also less of the Nolen Show would be cool.
Woody's article was pretty cool. I enjoy the home tech stuff.

Kaderabek said:
Why would we publish what you have already read/seen?

TJK

Just using that as an example, as I totally understand why you don't want to rehash material.

Mostly, my own selfish interests in having a nice magazine that I could show people the spectacular group runs... :) Since non-Toyota people are much more likely to read TT laying around than surf the net for it.

Keep the non Cruiser build-ups and coverage coming every once in a while. Keep reaching out to the mini-truck and 4Runner guys too.

We all end up buying Cruisers too...

I voted for other. I would like to see a section with different TLCA members rigs a little bio kind of thing like 1 or 2 pages with a couple rigs each month. Sorta like the Rig of the Week threads on the forum. I also like to see the stuff people fab up. Its always good to see what things people are coming up with.

wngrog said:
Thanks for your support. It us so fun volunteering for an organization and getting s*** like this in return.

This next issue will be the last OTB you will have to suffer through.

Seems it has run its course.

I've enjoyed the column and it is one of the reasons I joined TLCA to get Toyota Trails. Thanks for your contributions.

As a matter of fact, I rather enjoyed "Hitting the Desert" in the last issue.

You get good and bad feedback because if you put 100 people in a room, 20 of them are a-holes. Just a sad statistical fact which all volunteers have to deal with.

wngrog said:
Thanks for your support. It us so fun volunteering for an organization and getting s*** like this in return.

This next issue will be the last OTB you will have to suffer through.

Seems it has run its course.

Nolen, you don't give up that easy, do you? I like your work and you're a valued contributor. It's always an enjoyable read.

Don't go away mad! :flipoff2: Keep up the good work!! :grinpimp:

calamaridog said:
You get good and bad feedback because if you put 100 people in a room, 20 of them are a-holes. Just a sad statistical fact which all volunteers have to deal with.

even better, those 80 happy people usually don't say much....

Nolen,

I'm not going to try and talk you into staying. I can appreciate a line being drawn. Believe me I can understand the frustration with the slap in the face. I think I would walk also. That being said I really doubt 'hooligan' has read your articles. Sure the desert runner truck may have been professionally fabbed but in my fading memory it seems like your articles split about 50/50 between professional buggies and back yard fab similar to Woody's. Outside the Box thinking is found in any type of unique builds. Professional or otherwise.

As mentioned recently somewhere else on this board I've lost touch with the hardcore world. I look forward to your articles each issue because they give me some glimpse into that world and I don't need to stray into forums where I don't belong. I would prefer that you stay around and continue to write your articles. As I said I appreciate your frustration but you need to know that OTB is a highlight of Trails and a number of TLCA members will be frustrated if it disappears.

Which leads me to another point that I've been thinking about in regards to Trails. I like having a different point of view each issue. New voices = diversity and perspective. However, having standards to look forward to; Henry C, Ross Lake, Nolen, Whatley, Tuby (to a certain degree) all lead to the anticipation of the new issue. Even though I find that my sensibilities occasionally differ from theirs, I know that those articles are coming and I look forward to them each issue. So Todd if Nolen cannot be persuaded to stick around I would like to see a hardcore/unique truck article each issue. A standard to look forward to. Am I done rambling yet?
dmc

Last edited:
I voted for other as well

I'd really like to see more restorations featured... restorations, not "renovations" "refurbishments," etc.

My dad has been into restoring Model A's since I was about two years old. I'm always amazed at the pieces of absolute crap that are transformed into beautiful pieces that look like they're right off the factory floor.

Any fool with a big wallet can "wreck" a rig by modifying it... restoring it to original takes talent. Mind you, there are several rigs (like my 42) that are beyond hope and to modify is to save them from being parted out. However, that's been done, written about and read, time and time again.

It would be interesting reading to feature some "before" and "after" makeovers.

wngrog said:
I personally take offense to this. Just because you think the only form of modification suitable for a Cruiser is restoration, does not mean the rest of us "fools" agree.

As for wanting more Resto stuff, you need to contribute something. It is an all volunteer magazine.

Don't. Just realize that not everyone's cup of tea is a modified Cruiser.

And, I don't think the only form of modification suitable for a Cruiser is a restoration... I even implied that in some instances a vehicle is far too gone to be saved and that modifying can keep it from being parted out. In those cases, go nuts and modify away until your wallet is drained and your rig resembles more of a unimog or chevy than a Toyota.

I've read your articles. I've enjoyed your articles. However, I'm still not gonna run out and grab the plasma cutter and start hacking up my mintish 55.

I do contribute to Trails.

Chef asked us what we wanted to see. I answered.

Edit: I just read the whole thread and can see why I hit a nerve with Nolen. Whoops. Bad timing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom