What do you want to see in Toyota Trails? (2 Viewers)

What do you want to see more of in Toyota Trails?

• Tech (like woody's hybrid axle article)

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Maintenance (like how to adjust your valves)

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • Trail Reports (like Cruise Moab 05 for example)

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • Adventure (like the Tuby Explorer Series)

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • Non-Cruiser Stuff (like mini/tcaoma/4Runner)

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other: please post in thread!

Votes: 15 7.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Christo, I nominate your Avatar 80. Flopping in the parking lot is an awesome achievement, and worthy of documenting for all our membership.

Phish, you'll find plenty of great help in the ROR club, they're a really great bunch. Except for Metal Spice:p beware!...;)

sleeoffroad said:
Another Lexus on the cover so we can piss everyone off. :D

I'd like to see write-ups of cool trails that one could run, one in each issue from anywhere in the country, or world even. Maybe including a small map of where the trail is, how to ge there, highlights along the trail and some local information. Kind of like, "here's my favorite trail".

What I'd really like to see is flip-out 4-page cover ads. Hey, maybe for our 30th Anniversary issue we do one of those heavy stock pull-out items. Punch out model of the FJ Cruiser with the TLCA 30th logo on it. (Paid for by Toyota, of course!) :grinpimp:

I like the variety, but if I need to pick a few things I would like, it would be:

More basic tech and product stuff. Wheels, tires, bumpers, lifts, winches, roof racks, seats, sliders, lockers are the topic of a zillion repeat questions on IH8MUD. These are basic upgrades that wind up on the list of most wheelers and there are always newbies and old dogs that are looking for info. Take those topics, X 6 or so body styles, and you have 3-4 years of basic tech/product topics.

Stock rig showcases. A little write-up and lots-o-pics of an exceptional older stock rig is fun for the restoration guys.

More little unknown trail runs.

Pics, pics, pics.

The adventure, Tubby type articals are somewhat interesting, but have more of a travel artical feel than a Cruiser focus.

We all probably have a few great articals, some of the die-hards and long-time Cruiserheads probably have a few dozen. Even the average Cruiserhead like me has a few trail write-ups that would be interesting. Now where did I put my pen and paper?

Without big dreams, there are no big goals....get to work;)

Lemme know how I can help!

hatfieldcb said:
What I'd really like to see is flip-out 4-page cover ads. Hey, maybe for our 30th Anniversary issue we do one of those heavy stock pull-out items. Punch out model of the FJ Cruiser with the TLCA 30th logo on it. (Paid for by Toyota, of course!) :grinpimp:

A bit of all od the above would make me happy! Basically the format that is already in place is pretty good for me. Thanks for the good work guys! :cheers:

See, the trick to all this is...

See, the trick to all this is...y'all gots to write this stuff, or we don't have it.

While it is true that Kadarabek and I spend a lot of time jetting around the bahamas on tlca funds, we just don't write anything. Todd simply tweaks what you guys send in while I drink mohitos on the beach and offer support, encouragment, and an occasional fresh Cohiba.

So, send us some stuff. We can only lounge surfside for so long without boredom kicking in;)

Are you guys up to getting stuff from people who haven't submitted before?

I'm an editorial assistant for an academic journal and the rigors of publication are daunting.

I assume TT is a bit less harsher on the submissions from prospective authors?

Blind, peer-review process? Three outside readers?

I'll try to whip something up in between working on my dissertation, working on the rig and trying to maintain an amicable relationship with my girlfriend... :rolleyes:

best.
-onur
Akron, OH

beno said:
Are you guys up to getting stuff from people who haven't submitted before?

I'm an editorial assistant for an academic journal and the rigors of publication are daunting.

I assume TT is a bit less harsher on the submissions from prospective authors?

Should be "less harsh." But you pass anyway. :D

TJK

Bwahahaha... that's a gooder.

Kaderabek said:
Should be "less harsh." But you pass anyway. :D

TJK

:doh:

I always skrew up mine Inglish...it's that other language getting in the way...and...I don't do any spell cheks eeeethur...oh fawk it...back to drinking a Red Stripe...skrew the dissrrrrtaaaaashun....

:flipoff2:

Todd,

How many articles to you have to choose from per issue? per year? I'm asking about articles that are considered for Trails. I assume there are some that either require far too much editing or just not interesting enough. What is the ratio of submission to print? 10:1? 2:1? Just curious what size of pool you get to choose from? I got loads of drivel on my harddrive that I'm sure I could massage into article form if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. I sort of assumed, based upon direct feedback from Todd, that the number of submissions is pretty high. Very little diversity but good volume.
dmc

I would say that the majority of submissions that get published are either articles that I requested or articles where someone came to me in advance and asked what I thought of the idea. I'm not sitting on a lot of material. I get some things where the story is just an extended personal anecdote that won't be of much interest to very many people. Sometimes I just can't make the photography work. But most of what is submitted I use. And I always smile when I get some little gem of a piece that comes out of left field. So don't feel like you have to be a professional writer who went to Moab or Tellico or Rubicon in order to get published. If it's interesting and involves Cruisers, send it in.

TJK

I voted for more trails.
Considering how far from one another the members are I think highlighting trails on west and east coasts (and central) would give those of us in the middle more trails to dream of...
I'd love to try trails back east, but not really possible. In the northwest, possible, but a long way. If the TT included more varied locations, maybe we'd hit more members.

Could you post up the general submission guidelines? I scooped up all my TT and dropped them off at fellow Cruiserheads house (recruiting sacrifice) so I don't have a copy to reference the guidelines.

Text should be a Word document.

Photos can be prints, slides, transparencies, or high resolution (3 MP+) digital.

Email submissions to:

editor@tlca.org

Post submissions to:

Toyota Trails
78 Grovewood Road
Asheville, NC 28804
828-251-0412

All submissions are protected by copyright and may be used elsewhere by the TLCA.

TJK

Kaderabek said:
So don't feel like you have to be a professional writer who went to Moab or Tellico or Rubicon in order to get published. If it's interesting and involves Cruisers, send it in.

TJK
I think that is the key. Todd can make anyone look good. Believe me. I think that if the intimidaton factor was minimized you'd get a lot more submissions. It can be scary putting things out there for others to view in print.
dmc

Todd will *not* let you look like a fewl in Toyota Trails. Can't guarantee about elsewhere;)

He's a really good editor, take my word for it. He edits my column every month.

chef

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom