What do people value more? Cosmetic or Mechanical (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just trying to get a basic idea of what people would value more when purchasing/selling an FJ60. For example, a FJ60 with 170k miles that had a lot of mechanical work done right and it runs super smooth, but the exterior has rust spots, faded paint, dents etc. VS. if it was a pristine OEM paint job but needs an engine rebuild/fair amount of mechanical TLC, which would you value more? Or would it be case by case basis? By looking around I feel like the way the car looks is worth way more (and me personally would like a good looking car to show it off) than if it can do a coast to coast road trip. I am looking to buy my first truck and want just basic input/advice so that I don't get taken for a ride on a purchase or be focusing on the looks more than I should be.

Rust free would be number one on my list and rust free frame would be paramount (surface rust is fine; just no rot). Faded paint, scratches, etc. can easily be rectified. Most mechanical issues can also be rectified but I think that would be case by case.

Unfortunately some vehicles (e.g. FJ55's) are all but impossible to find without rust in certain body areas so you have to keep that in mind. Again, depends on vehicle, market availability, etc.

Lot of variables that come down to the preferences of the buyer.
When I was looking for my 60 I was more concerned about it being mechanically sound vs. structurally. I knew going in that I would need to do some work on both but was more comfortable with the mechanical work vs. structural, but as others said, finding a rust free version in my price range I knew was going to be next to impossible. It would be either pristine outside with s***e for mechanical or vise versa.

I spent the last 6yrs correcting a lot of ill performed body work, while mechanically she has been sound since the day I brought her home. But that ended up being part of the fun of the truck as I learned to weld and fabricate to replace a lot of the rust that was originally there (that I was unaware of).

For the general public, cosmetic appearance is certainly a key driver for price. so many vintage vehicles are being sold now with fresh paint, and the owner ignoring the mechanical. industrial auction yards selling heavy equipment have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars setting up paint booths for spraying yellow paint on old dozers in order to make it back at the sale.

For me, i'll take faded paint and low mileage over a fresh spray and mechanical problems, but i'm not most people. Go point out the reliable second hand equipment being sold at a successful large indoor shopping mall; it isn't. All flashy new jewellery, new iphones, fashion jeans, and "mall people" mulling around aimlessly for days. All buying new status symbols or flashy lifestyle accessories they don't really need.

If I was selling something to the general public, it would have to look good. If I was selling to someone technical, or a friend or family member, it would need to perform well.

I’ll always go with the best, cleanest, most rust-free body I can get. Mechanicals, while frustrating, are (for me, anyway) easier to chase down and repair. Body and paint work is a more serious time and financial commitment. Add in the growing scarcity of body parts for older vehicles like Pigs, 40’s, and 60’s, and I will always pay a premium for a clean body.

Yes. You can fix alot of things. One thing you can't really fix is bad corrosion on a steel body. Once it gets beyond a small weld job, it can creep away quickly.

I would assess the body steel separately from paint though, as they don't always go together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom