Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was a very bad Cruiser owner the weekend before last, and took my 80 on my rifle whitetail hunt with the PS knuckle grease seal deformed/oozing grease and my power steering system leaking fluid as fast as I could refill it. Unit 32 north between Benson and Wilcox, just off Mule Shoe Road in the southern end of the Winchester Mountains. There was a nice little half-mile of wheeling between the road and our campsite (even limping, it got me there and back again...).
Hunt 2a.jpg
Hunt 5a.jpg
Hunt 3a.jpg

THIS weekend (after grinding and packaging some venison sausage) I cleaned up DS of the engine bay from all the caked-on dextron III and trail grime, researched and diagrammed how the power steering system actually works, found the source of my leak, and replaced the low pressure return hose between the power steering gear and the cooler. FINALLY seems to be holding fluid, and what a relief I didn't have to rebuild the pump. Now to start shopping and researching the inevitable front birfield maintenance.

Last edited:
The last one I got into the back with a come along (1 inch at a time) hooked to my roll bar. Got it back to camp and then strung it up in a tree to dress it.

Actually hauled to back to Tucson on a trailer. This time I will take it to a butcher in Payson, then go back and get the meat.
Interesting. I guess I would have boned it out in the field, schlepped it back in 4-5 pack-loads to camp, and loaded into the 100 ltr cooler in the back of my 80. Good luck on your hunt!

we went up the Beeline about 1/2 way to Payson and checked out a couple new trails.

z.jpg

I removed my FR rack, ladder and added a snorkel, steelies and some new Duratracs.

View attachment 1570445
Yes steelies!! I'm a big fan of ugly cheap steel wheels. BTW, how did you come by these in the 5 x 150 bolt pattern? Also, are these 17's or 18's? I have a friend asking me to help him source some.

Unit 32 north between Benson and Wilcox, just off Mule Shoe Road in the southern end of the Winchester Mountains.

Congrats!
We have been going in there for the last 18 some odd years (Jackson Cabin road), beautiful country. This year we were drawn for Unit 33.

Pinstripped the 4Runner.

001.JPG

On a scout trip for our up and coming hunt.
Discovered a leaky wheel cylinder on the 40 so had to go with plan B. The 3rd Gen did not disappoint.:steer:

No work done on the 80 recently. But, the other Toyota in the drive got some love;
-installed a 3/1 leveling kit and diff drop
-12v power run to the cab for a fridge
-Bed rack with awning mount welded up, powdercoated, installed (Tuff Stuff)
-new to me Tepui Autana with annex installed.

Because what is better than one Toyota 4x4 built for camping?

IMG_20171111_140615678_HDR.jpg

Decapitation by car wash!

If anyone has a head to a snorkel laying around I’ll buy it from you. Amazon is telling me 1 month to get one! Think I may need it sooner!

98406F44-C7AB-428C-A9A5-C970E5774187.jpeg

Ran Log Corral Saturday, fell in love with this machine all over again, and gave it a much needed cleaning today as it had about 4 outings on it without being cleaned. Steve Schaefer (Sonoran Steel) is always a trusty spotter.
3235D3AC-E1DA-41D9-8B0A-FD89010807D6.jpeg

went 4 wheeling with all the guys from work on Sunday. Took 4 peaks down to Cove 1 at Saguaro lake

p.jpg
p3.jpg
p4.jpg
pp.jpg
4x4cbt trip.jpg

Congrats!
We have been going in there for the last 18 some odd years (Jackson Cabin road), beautiful country. This year we were drawn for Unit 33.
Good luck on your hunt! I've hunted 33 at the end of the road north of Happy Valley, and also in the Chiva Flats area (never made it up 3 Feathers though, need front/rear lockers).

went 4 wheeling with all the guys from work on Sunday. Took 4 peaks down to Cove 1 at Saguaro lake

Very cool.

Did I see three Jeeps ??? :hillbilly:

I decided an impact wrench would make my life a heck of a lot easier.

:lol:

Starter is giving me trouble. The top bolt is a bear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom