What did you do on your 70 series today? (45 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Onur
Yes that's the 40 I've tortured on the trails since 2003. I've removed the locker and now just use it to spin around town. My 14yo daughter tells me she'd like to have it as her summer car. I'm trying to determine if it will attract or repel teenage boys. Thoughts?
Peter: is that you old 40 that's graced toyota trails for years?

Congrats on moving the 74
Thanks! I'm glad I bought it as a first 70 Series, enjoyed owning it but was also glad to see it go. The purchaser is a rural letter carrier who drives a BJ-74 on his route. Only vehicle he's found that can stand the abuse. He bought mine to use as a spare. He has a Unimog as a toy.
Peter

Onur
Yes that's the 40 I've tortured on the trails since 2003. I've removed the locker and now just use it to spin around town. My 14yo daughter tells me she'd like to have it as her summer car. I'm trying to determine if it will attract or repel teenage boys. Thoughts?
Thats so awesome she has interest in the 40! I would say let her use it and it could be the perfect test to make sure she is with the right kind of guy... if he calls it a Jeep, thats not the kind of boy you want your daughter hanging out with. If he knows its a land cruiser then thats a nice young man. :cool:

@peterb ....."Yes that's the 40 I've tortured on the trails since 2003. I've removed the locker and now just use it to spin around town. My 14yo daughter tells me she'd like to have it as her summer car. I'm trying to determine if it will attract or repel teenage boys. Thoughts?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although an appreciation of the 40 Series would be a plus for any lad, no boy is good enough for ones daughter. I always clean my guns when my daughters bring guys by and I'm quick to tell them I don't mind going back to jail if necessary.

Breakfast with @cruiserdan youngest son in NM...

IMG_1794.JPG

And then some more road time.

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

Finally pulled the speedo cable from the 73, lubed it up and sent it back in it's chute. My ears are thanking me at speed!

First time I've seen front seats configured that way.
Awesome upholstery.

60/40 was common in pickups. We also have an Aussie FJ73 with a 60/40.

Finally got the interior cleaned up and put back together which included newly upholstered seats. It drives much better now...

View attachment 1430533 View attachment 1430532

I need to get this done badly. the PO was a rather large fellow and me being small in stature seem to gravitate towards one butt check depression and then the other. Would you mind sharing approx costs so i can budget? I need to find someone local that does that work. I can PM if needed

Probably not helpful, but I paid $200 to get a vinyl dog-proof seat cover for my rear seat.

I wish it had been a straight forward removal of the seats, get them covered and then re- install them. I also removed the floor mats to clean up 25+ years of crud. That revealed that the felt backing of the floor mat had degraded and stuck to the rusted floor boards. I had to wire wheel all the old felt to remove it. I then dealt with the rust. Ground it down to clean metal, primed, painted and installed some dyna mat to compensate for the lost insulation. Far from professional work but the floorboards are now protected. I then re-conditioned the floor mats and made them look new. I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Those seats turned out very nice.

Thanks, Charles. I wasn't sure what to expect but I think the the guy did an awesome job.

First time I've seen front seats configured that way.
Awesome upholstery.

Thanks! Before I had the seats done, I looked into converting to bucket seats so I could have a center console, as there is very little room for storage. And I also wanted one of those fancy new cup holders all the bucket seat guys have recently purchased. I found out it isn't a direct bolt up so I kept what I had.

I need to get this done badly. the PO was a rather large fellow and me being small in stature seem to gravitate towards one butt check depression and then the other. Would you mind sharing approx costs so i can budget? I need to find someone local that does that work. I can PM if needed

I shopped around for quite a while but I live in a limited market without much competition so I think that inflates the prices. Prior to finding the guy who did the work, I had quotes from $700-$2000. I got them done for $500. That was a good deal for me.

@eman375 ..... "I wish it had been a straight forward removal of the seats, get them covered and then re- install them. I also removed the floor mats to clean up 25+ years of crud. That revealed that the felt backing of the floor mat had degraded and stuck to the rusted floor boards. I had to wire wheel all the old felt to remove it. I then dealt with the rust. Ground it down to clean metal, primed, painted and installed some dyna mat to compensate for the lost insulation. Far from professional work but the floorboards are now protected. I then re-conditioned the floor mats and made them look new. I'm happy with the way it turned out."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My concern with the felt backing was the fact that if it got wet, it stayed wet for an extended period. My Ute had a small water leak (seam along the bottom of the windshield) that kept the right floorboard moist. When I replaced the mat and cleaned up the corrosion I placed some 1/4" rubber strips between the felt and floor so the felt could breath and dry quicker in the event it got wet again. At a minimum, peek under the mat from time to time.

Last edited:
Same here but looking for bucket seat replacement instead. My driver seat is only worn out on the door side half but cheek haha. Probably from the gov employees who owned it just sitting in the seat with legs out the side for 90% of the time. When I'm driving I find myself sitting crooked and sliding towards the door haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom