What did you do on your 70 series today? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Starting to be ready, the new Weber carburetor seems to work well, a clear difference from the original. 100 km test drive completed and I don't get a smile off my face.

The final stage was the audio system, Kenwood player, GZ 5 ch amplifier, Rainbow Germanium compo set (active) and a 12" Alpine Type R... and of course a backup camera.

IMG_20200518_211551.jpg

IMG_20200518_215922.jpg

IMG_20200517_223006.jpg

IMG_20200518_204957.jpg

IMG_20200518_205048.jpg

Starting to be ready, the new Weber carburetor seems to work well, a clear difference from the original. 100 km test drive completed and I don't get a smile off my face.

The final stage was the audio system, Kenwood player, GZ 5 ch amplifier, Rainbow Germanium compo set (active) and a 12" Alpine Type R... and of course a backup camera.

View attachment 2310749
View attachment 2310750
View attachment 2310746
View attachment 2310747
View attachment 2310748
Truck looks great!
Where did you source the mat for your door panel? Would it work for replacement panels for the rear?
Thanks!

View attachment 2310749
View attachment 2310750
View attachment 2310746
View attachment 2310747
View attachment 2310748
That's a nice looking rig. Same question as above about the door panels? Going to send you a PM with a couple other questions.

Don't forget to tighten the screw on top of your steering box. It's the big screw with the big lock nut around it. There's a lot of guys that start replacing parts on their steering and don't realize you can take most of the slack out of loose steering simply by tightening that screw.

IMG_20200519_204044.jpg

I found a 2007+ 79 series front right seatbelt new in box in my stash of parts. Had to grind a hair off the metal tang to get it to mate to my buckle, but it fits great! Forgot how much I paid for it but partsouq had the matching left hand one for $140 (yikes!)

ordered lots of parts for it yesterday and today, roof rack, awning mounts, caster shims, L-track for the cargo area. Put my baja bug on the back burner to get some work done on my cruiser for summer

Completed the locker install on the front diff. It works and the steering is not to bad. I had a locking diff in the front of my samurai years ago. it was rather difficult to steer on a hard surface I ended up shifting in and out of four-wheel-drive quite frequently after installing a locker. I had 12 and 1/2 in wide super swampers and no power steering on the samurai. The bj73 with power steering and the skinny tires is no problem at all with a locker in the front.

IMG_20200519_202823.jpg

New tires came in! 235 85r 15 (32x8) radial recaps. "Extra grip" tread pattern from tirecappers in Nashville. Mounted on Tacoma spare tire rims. They fit very minor rub rim to tie rod that "self clearanced". They need a set of $15 spacers to clear the tie rods, or 2 inch wheel spacers to go bring it back to stock width. It would look a little bit better with a little lift, not sure if I'll do it or not.
Tire shop said 2 tires wouldn't balance so I put them on the back. I will return to balance after some break in. Put the 2 balanced tires on the front. No vibration on the front. There is some whine compared to the street radials, but it is not too bad. It's not the low pitched hum/vibration you get with a set of bias swampers.
Off road the tires dig and pull. Tread absolutely doesn't load up and spin. On soft wet sand you have to be careful not to apply to much power as you get dig and wheel hop more than forward movement. Easy does it and pull forward. Power dig up the hill and then back off/ease over the crest. On off camber uneven terrain washouts they dig in and pull with no wheelspin (I have lockers). On soft wet dirty where the top 3-4 inches is sludge they push straight through and dig into what's underneath pulling right along where a less aggressive wider tire would load up the tread pattern and spin floating on the muck.
Tirecappers has a few more modern tread patterns in similar size, but I think the "Extra Grip" pattern is kind of retro/utility/unique cool and the skinny profile is still easy to steer with a locker in the front. There is zero "wandering" on the road with these tires. For $105 each shipped to my door I'm happy.

IMG_20200520_184926.jpg

IMG_20200520_184915.jpg

so after about 3 weeks of hard starting a cold 1KZTE and "testing the glowplugs" with a 12volt battery, I had two old sets I "tested" and they all glowed nice and bright despite this the 1KZTE still struggled to start in 3 degree C mornings
I was looking at a possible cracked head but before i thought the worst I bit the bullet and spent $120 bucks on a set of Bosch glowplugs
I cant believe the difference, glow for 5 seconds and bang starts so easy, so despite the old glows working on a bench test with a battery obviously resistance or something was a factor

despite the old glows working on a bench test with a battery obviously resistance or something was a factor
Maybe a different alloy with better heat transfer?

I put this oil in the pto winch case. Cleaned out some sludge with diesel first.
1590089753923.png

I’ve been thinking about how to fit an Intercooler to the tight 13bt engine bay. If a battery relocation was possible, a water to air intercooler may be possible to fit where one of the batteries (24v) goes. Any thoughts?

D10F0EB0-5FDE-4CFB-85CA-38B3E4E2BD92.jpeg

I’ve been thinking about how to fit an Intercooler to the tight 13bt engine bay. If a battery relocation was possible, a water to air intercooler may be possible to fit where one of the batteries (24v) goes. Any thoughts?

View attachment 2314651
I put a air/air in front of the radiator on the -70 I had with a 13BT. did have to remove the hood latch to make room so had to put hood pins in.

View attachment 2314651

I'm not sure you have any room in that 13BT engine bay to swap a battery. I'm 12v, but I'm running dual batteries so I have the same issue.

What I had planned on doing, was using a small barrel intercooler like @Hulsty has, and @Onur is getting ready to do.

This one is 11" total length. I believe that is very close to the measurement so you would have to check. It's about as small as an intercooler that I have been able to find. PWR makes one, frozenboost.com has one as well.

intercooler_type23_picture.jpg

I'm having more issues trying to see where to put the actual heat exchanger.

Fitting the new fan to mine, I was reminded about the space between the fan blades and the radiator.
I have ac and I think the rad should be closest to the fan so maybe relocate fan and condensor closer to the fan and mount the intercooler mini rad in front of all.

Helped a friend base line his lj today that he imported to USA from japan. My BJ73 had a friend😂 for a few hours
78E22480-AEBA-4C86-9584-1BF3A6AF8532.jpeg
CBF6E354-6BC5-418C-A957-CDD7CF3E685F.jpeg
04CF7178-44DE-481C-AE6A-E11918D532D0.jpeg
F10A754C-856A-421A-9708-253609D9921F.jpeg
06C82E77-CB55-4C1C-A2DE-DDEA22ABC54C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom