What did you do on your 70 series today? (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That tire is too clean. Need some south Ga. red clay stains on it.

That tire is too clean. Need some south Ga. red clay stains on it.
Well it is my spare. Hopefully it will stay clean for quite a while. :)

I like the traction board attached to the tire....
If it's not too much trouble; could you post a picture of the spare tire showing more of the truck bed.
When I return to the PI; I will be installing the spare tire mounting kit.
The last time I was there I intended to install the mount, but I was missing a few parts due to USPS delivery.

Thanks....

Charles

I like the traction board attached to the tire....
If it's not too much trouble; could you post a picture of the spare tire showing more of the truck bed.
When I return to the PI; I will be installing the spare tire mounting kit.
The last time I was there I intended to install the mount, but I was missing a few parts due to USPS delivery.

Thanks....

Charles
Let me know if these are inadequate.
image.jpeg

Glad to see Charles driving his truck.
I'm not ready for a cross country trek yet but Rob has made a lot of progress. Still a handful of big items to accomplish but it's slowly coming together.

Quick update for all you J77 guys. Kaymar’s rear bar for the j76 fits 99.9% IAW Kaymar’s fitting instructions.

Major concerns I had prior to fitting:
  • Do I need to modify the bar in any structural ways? No. Do I need to cut the tool box out? No.
  • Do I need a new exhaust? No.
  • Does every bolt-point work as intended? Yes.

The .1% of deviation is: No need to replace two bolts securing a gas tank for clearance. I built my own harness, but it was as simple as taping the factory tail light harness (5 wires) and a 5-pin connector on the bumper lights. 12v will need load resistors for indicators per kaymar fitting instructions. 24v (my truck) does not. Straight plug and play.

I will be doing a detailed install thread on once everything is buttoned up. For now, here are some pictures.

Big thank you to @wardharris for his support!

BBAA4D5F-8E31-48A6-AAF5-45E9E1A4A66F.jpeg

FAE6A819-CF54-46CB-96A6-20101B8EA747.jpeg

B2A6BF2C-8CC9-4F7D-9CD0-BFC40EF2DF76.jpeg

93D8DA89-F3BF-4F35-B9E1-C7A92BE3C3EF.jpeg

6E9D10B8-BD67-46D8-A8DB-A5BEA0CAF0C8.jpeg

So to confirm, you have installed a 76 Series bar on a 77.

Did you get a tire carrier? If so did you get a 76 carrier or a 75 carrier? The lug bolt pattern for a 76 will be wrong.

Did you get a tire carrier? If so did you get a 76 carrier or a 75 carrier? The lug bolt pattern for a 76 will be wrong.

To confirm, yes. The VDJ76 carrier fits the XXJ77. All bolt points (10 factory frame points, 2 required drill points and wing supports) marry up without deviation. To boot, I didn’t use shims to match body lines. I do have the 5-lug carrier plate with a 6-lug on the way. It’s an easy swap not involving the arms themselves. I’m very excited for the precedence it sets (what else fits?).

During install, the only difference I could discern from the rear frame of the 77 from a 76 was a support tube inside the rails. This had no effect on install. I did drill into the tube. Note: drilling the frame was directed per Kaymar’s fitting instructions.

I will have details on this when I post the install thread.

Last edited:
I fitted a 75 Troopy bumper to my 74 and it was more involved. Kaymar has never offered a mid wheelbase bumper.

I fitted a 75 Troopy bumper to my 74 and it was more involved. Kaymar has never offered a mid wheelbase bumper.

I picked this bumper for a number of reasons, the biggest was the full length wings. I’m very happy on the outcome/easy of install. I will be posting a detailed install thread. It will have a step by step on what I did and measurements for suspension planning, etc...

The customer service / write-up guy that took Nick's order is an indjit (that would be me) and failed to anticipate five lug vs. needed six lug. Good news is that Georg and I are in Melbourne this week, meeting with Jenny at Kaymar this afternoon. Will secure the correct six lug carrier mount and get it home for Nick.

We are also moving to stock orders with sea delivery for both Long Range Tanks and Kaymar bars.

For the 75 to 73/73 MWB, we are fitting a 75 kit to a 73 to document the install. Any/all interest from owners or experience of prior installs (CDAN, Kurt, etc.) most welcome and appreciated.

Ward
sales@longrangeamerica.com

How much oil coming through PCV is too much? Have had my LJ78 for a couple weeks now and ordering parts and pieces to start doing some maintenance that probably is way overdue. Took off aluminum piece that crosses over rocker cover and it had enough oil in it that when I turned it up, some oil ran out onto ground. Turbo doesnt make any weird noises and seems to function as it should. This is my first experience with ANY diesel so I'm trying to learn as much as possible, as fast as I can. What should I be worried about if anything? In next week or so when weather permits, gonna remove throttle body and intake, clean it all really good. Install catch can. There is a very small amount of what looks like oil coming out of exhaust on snow today. Not a whole lot though

How much oil coming through PCV is too much? Have had my LJ78 for a couple weeks now and ordering parts and pieces to start doing some maintenance that probably is way overdue. Took off aluminum piece that crosses over rocker cover and it had enough oil in it that when I turned it up, some oil ran out onto ground. Turbo doesnt make any weird noises and seems to function as it should. This is my first experience with ANY diesel so I'm trying to learn as much as possible, as fast as I can. What should I be worried about if anything? In next week or so when weather permits, gonna remove throttle body and intake, clean it all really good. Install catch can. There is a very small amount of what looks like oil coming out of exhaust on snow today. Not a whole lot though

Call @wardharris and get a catch can

For the 75 to 73/73 MWB, we are fitting a 75 kit to a 73 to document the install. Any/all interest from owners or experience of prior installs (CDAN, Kurt, etc.) most welcome and appreciated.

Ward
sales@longrangeamerica.com

I did mine 4 years ago. I am home in Albuquerque now and I have access to some photos. Basically you have to cut off the two braces that mount to the bottom of the frame. In my case I also had to elongate the mounting holes at the rear cross-member and frame slightly to get everything lined up.

I also trimmed a bit off the front lip of the wings to gain a little more clearance on the quarter panel. For cutting I used a metal cutting blade in a standard circular saw. The blade was expensive but well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom