What did you do on your 70 series today? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love the regionalism of different LC groups.

Having lived in the Midwest (7 cold years), desert Southwest (6 epic years), SE (4 muggy years), now in the inter-Mountain west, and with friends spanning the US, it’s amazing to see the differences... bound by Toyota Land Cruisers.

It’s pretty damn neat.

78E43801-5518-42A9-A3D6-1E56D8A0F96A.jpeg

My time with the 70 was not as exciting or photogenic as Charles, but it was productive.

I replaced the glow plugs in the 3B with Toyota OEM. With one dead glow plug and the temps in the 20s, she has been taking 3-4 start cycles before she fired up with a cloud of smoke. Now with 4 new glow plugs, she fired on the first cycle and very little smoke.

I also removed the LSPV to test brake performance without it. It made a tremendous difference in braking performance. Before the 70 would stop, but never with the feeling of stopping on a dime or throwing me into the windshield. It does that now with the LSPV gone. In a hard/emergency stop, the rear tires will now skid but I will accept that negative trait for the overall improved braking.

G'Day Fella's,

Well I didn't do this Today but I did remove the dash and all the workings in/under it, on my BJ73 last year.
WHAT A JOB!!!
The flexible joints on the heater core, had been leaking for years, so I needed to address this.
I had a mate (Burl) that pressure tested the heater core for leaks (all OK) and then soft solder the brass supply and return pipes, direct to the heater core. Problem solved!

The Speedo cable was also squeaking, so I wanted to replace this while I was at it.

You may have noticed in the last image, the gear lever is missing.
I replaced the synthetic bush and seal, that sits under the pivot ball, on the gear lever.

D'oh!
Homer

DSCN1991.JPG

DSCN2023.JPG

DSCN2028.JPG

Last edited:
My time with the 70 was not as exciting or photogenic as Charles, but it was productive.

I replaced the glow plugs in the 3B with Toyota OEM. With one dead glow plug and the temps in the 20s, she has been taking 3-4 start cycles before she fired up with a cloud of smoke. Now with 4 new glow plugs, she fired on the first cycle and very little smoke.

I also removed the LSPV to test brake performance without it. It made a tremendous difference in braking performance. Before the 70 would stop, but never with the feeling of stopping on a dime or throwing me into the windshield. It does that now with the LSPV gone. In a hard/emergency stop, the rear tires will now skid but I will accept that negative trait for the overall improved braking.
You need to join the Ft. Benning boys and pay us a visit. :)

I love the regionalism of different LC groups.

Having lived in the Midwest (7 cold years), desert Southwest (6 epic years), SE (4 muggy years), now in the inter-Mountain west, and with friends spanning the US, it’s amazing to see the differences... bound by Toyota Land Cruisers.

It’s pretty damn neat.

View attachment 1610144
The "Muggy Mosquito Cruiser Club" (yes I coined that name) is comprised of a small group from the panhandle of Florida and S.W. Georgia. We are drawn together because of our common interest in Land Cruisers and the chances of a free lunch from time to time. :)

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for the Mohawk.
Your jet boat looks impressive (so does your TLC), I imagine it goes even better!

Are you down on the "Mainland" or the Nth Island?
Regardless, I imagine you have plenty of great rivers to enjoy.

Regards
Homer

Im in Hamilton , but the photo above was taken during a south island jetboating trip.... id just fitted the 15b in the 75 so half the fun for me was landcruising the south island ..(once i got used too all the creepy noises an H55 makes at full speed )

Thanks for that Mohawk, and NZ is a stunning place for landcruising....... and jet boating!
LOL! All those creepy noises, lets you know your not in a Mercedes Benz.
I have only been to Hamilton once.................. a long time ago.
I have spent a fair bit of time down south, Huntin Tahr (Rangitata), Chamois (on "The Coast") and Salmon (Rakia) and Trout fishin all about.

Thanks for sharing
Homer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom