What dashcam are you using in your 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a Fookoo system off amazon. The 7" screen is mounted on the left side of the dash by the A-pillar with one of the cameras mounted in front of the screen up against the windshield. The second camera is mounted to a homemade mount on the rear license plate. It sits right between the OEM backup camera and the buttons to open the rear hatch.

I went with this system because I have a pigtail in the back that I can switch from the rear license mounted camera and a camera mounted on the back of my boat when towing. That allows me to see in the 7" screen any vehicles in my blind spots behind the boat and specifically watch for any approaching emergency traffic. It also saves me a lock of time backing the boat down the boat ramp and when I am backing the boat into the garage.

The screen allows you to reverse the image if needed, show just the front, the back, or split the screen several ways to display front and back at the same time. The image is impressive for what it is and the low light performance is good. My only complaint is due to the way I mounted the front camera inside the vehicle, at night the camera use IR leds to improve the image, and that shows up as a bit of flare on the 7" screen. You don't see anything from the drivers seat, but the image quality is degraded a little from the flare when you view the video. The camera is meant to be mounted externally, and the two I use for the back view have good video quality at night without the flare on the screen.

Amazon product ASIN B07JQC51NB

Garmin Mini 2. Powering it through a dongar adapter to the mirror.
Amazon product ASIN B0931YZ82P
Been shopping for a dashcam for a while. I like the Garmin's ability to use up to 4 cameras which don't have to be physically interconnected because according to my research getting a composite movie from 2+ cameras is done through the Garmin app.

Question: is there constant power at the mirror and does the dongar adapter connected to the rear view mirror provide constant power i.e. power when car is shut off?

Dear goodness, how many cameras do you all want?! :D

Yes Judge I want to submit more evidence to incriminate myself....

It took until Tesla I believe for on board recording, why that long i have no idea. Im all for the 4 way video, but yeah ill leave the interior recording to the uber drivers.

LOL! I was planning on 2. The feature that grabbed me was not having to thread a wire from the front camera to the rear - all I need to get is power to the rear which is relatively easy.

I think there's something like 8 cameras on a Tesla. Eight cameras would certainly do. However, 10 or 12 might be over the top. :rofl:

Changing my dashcam up.

Has anyone used a mirror dash cam? Often with family or offroad trips, I can't see out the back with the regular mirror or rear camera. Complicating this is I just put in a Tesla screen which has some complexity to integrate the OEM rear camera. I imagine those with rear swing outs have similar wants?

Figure I'd lick 2 birds with one stone with a mirror dash cam. Anyone use this?

While true that Tesla has lots of cameras but those cameras are used for its auto-driving stuff, security while parked, and lane changing.

Unless you're an Uber or drives your kids' friends all the time, interior camera is just not smart IMHO.

Why would you want a rear camera? So that it records you backing up into another car? Or you backing up into a tree?

And for those who use the camera for security when parked....no thanks....I don't want a camera that drains the battery! Some have battery in them? Yeah good luck keeping that battery in there good with the sun blaring thru the windshield and cooking it daily.

While true that Tesla has lots of cameras but those cameras are used for its auto-driving stuff, security while parked, and lane changing.

Unless you're an Uber or drives your kids' friends all the time, interior camera is just not smart IMHO.

Why would you want a rear camera? So that it records you backing up into another car? Or you backing up into a tree?

And for those who use the camera for security when parked....no thanks....I don't want a camera that drains the battery! Some have battery in them? Yeah good luck keeping that battery in there good with the sun blaring thru the windshield and cooking it daily.

Hear me out, what if the entire car ran on a battery? 🤣

This is EV territory stuff for sure.

I gave up on a rear solution and dont want to fiddle with electrical splicing.

I hear you on the interior camera. Not my cup of tea and less is more there. I'm also far less about dash cams for security or liability.

Rear - always on action cam to capture shenanigans. Double as rearview mirror. Or that's the hope for the new dashcam incoming.

No thanks for interior camera.

Mine shuts off after you set minimal voltage setting. I set mine high. But yes, I will miss out if some a**hole hits me while I’m not in it.

See my precious statement about rear camera benefits. Without going into detail, this would have already helped me AT LEAST once in my adult life.

I use this one also. Hardwired to the fuse box
How did you do it - which fuse did you tap and how'd you add the USB outlet?
Was the long cable that comes with it long enough to reach?

What Dongar adapter works with the car? Is it the 10-pin? I have a MY2008

What Dongar adapter works with the car? Is it the 10-pin? I have a MY2008
For the 2008 LX, it looks like the Toyota 5-pin version. It looks like there are two variants though and I'm hoping someone here can pinpoint which variant is compatible as the LX (nor LC) is not listed on their site.

The newer Tesla at least in the Model X and S have one interior camera and it’s used mainly to check on your dog while it‘a inside which is great. But, it’s disabled while sitting in the drivers seat. Also, great when you valet your car and see if valet is digging through your car for a surprise gift. :woot:

The newer Tesla at least in the Model X and S have one interior camera and it’s used mainly to check on your dog while it‘a inside which is great. But, it’s disabled while sitting in the drivers seat. Also, great when you valet your car and see if valet is digging through your car for a surprise gift. :woot:
Wouldn’t it be disabled if they’re sitting in the driver’s seat?

Changing my dashcam up.

Has anyone used a mirror dash cam? Often with family or offroad trips, I can't see out the back with the regular mirror or rear camera. Complicating this is I just put in a Tesla screen which has some complexity to integrate the OEM rear camera. I imagine those with rear swing outs have similar wants?

Pelsee P12 Pro 4K Mirror Dash Cam https://a.co/d/6X6cAIP

I have been using this one and it works well. The front facing camera is integrated into the mirror. The camera quality is great even at night. I have the rear camera mounted in the interior hatch just below the brake light trim. The tire and ladder swing arm still take up a total of 20% of a part of the bottom of the rear view but it's much better than without. Many YouTube reviews on this unit if interested.

Changing my dashcam up.

No experience with them in the 200; or that particular model you linked. However, we installed one (from vantop?) in my wife’s Outback a few years ago so she could have a reverse cam.

It does it’s job. The picture/image is pretty good, maybe a little stretched cuz the mirror resolution, but you can totally tell what you’re looking at. The reverse guidelines are ok, but leave a lot to be desired.

When you’re not using the monitor part, the screen looks like a regular mirror in “night time mode” (like when you flip the lever on the old school mirrors)

Split screen mode (front and rear side by side) is distracting. My brain does not like that at all.

No experience with them in the 200; or that particular model you linked. However, we installed one (from vantop?) in my wife’s Outback a few years ago so she could have a reverse cam.

It does it’s job. The picture/image is pretty good, maybe a little stretched cuz the mirror resolution, but you can totally tell what you’re looking at. The reverse guidelines are ok, but leave a lot to be desired.

When you’re not using the monitor part, the screen looks like a regular mirror in “night time mode” (like when you flip the lever on the old school mirrors)

Split screen mode (front and rear side by side) is distracting. My brain does not like that at all.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I have it on my desk now and will see if I can't get it installed this weekend. I likewise tried one a couple years ago and didn't like that particular one for a couple reasons similar to yours. Brightness. Lots of weight hanging off the stock rearview with vibrations, let alone handling off-road. Camera off-center with lots of windshield glare. I'll see if this model solves any of that.

For the 2008 LX, it looks like the Toyota 5-pin version. It looks like there are two variants though and I'm hoping someone here can pinpoint which variant is compatible as the LX (nor LC) is not listed on their site.
x2. this is nice and solved a problem with a idea before my brain even made it there. Now, which one as you stated lol

Pelsee P12 Pro 4K Mirror Dash Cam https://a.co/d/6X6cAIP

I have been using this one and it works well. The front facing camera is integrated into the mirror. The camera quality is great even at night. I have the rear camera mounted in the interior hatch just below the brake light trim. The tire and ladder swing arm still take up a total of 20% of a part of the bottom of the rear view but it's much better than without. Many YouTube reviews on this unit if interested.
Here is something similar on sale at Best Buy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom