What causes premature failure of suspension ball joint boots? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm looking to purchase a 2019 GX460 with 60k miles. The price is good but after inspecting it, there are a few suspension components leaking grease. Both upper control arm ball joints are leaking (1 slightly more than the other) and 1 of the outer tie rods is also leaking grease from the ball joint boot. This seems pretty unusual right? My impression was that these parts usually fail with time as the rubber becomes brittle but this is only a 4 year old vehicle. Or it could be an accidental nick when working on the car or something but 3 of them all leaking makes this seem unlikely. Is this a red flag for anything? The repair isn't too bad to just replace these parts but I wonder if its an indication that the vehicle was modded or something. Could this also happen due to an accident? There was some minor to moderate front damage reported on carfax but everything looks to be repaired properly. The price on the car is good enough for me to be ok with absorbing the repair costs as long as it doesn't indicate something more serious. What do y'all think? Thanks for any insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom