What boost controller are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Depends how much you want to spend and what level of boost control you're after? If all you're after is more boost than a simple adjustment of the gate arm or a change of spring might suffice depending on what your existing actuator is on that old turbo. Or next step up is a simple/cheap boost tee before moving up to the electronic boost controllers which offer the best control and flexibility with the parameters to tune to suit your needs.

Last edited:
Depends how much you want to spend and what level of boost control you're after? If all you're after is more boost than a simple adjustment of the gate arm or a change of spring might suffice depending on what your existing actuator is on that old turbo. Or next step up is a simple/cheap boost tee before moving up to the electronic boost controllers which offer the best control and flexibility with the parameters to tune to suit your needs.
I currently I have manual boost controller, I am looking into the electronic boost controller. Is there one that you would recommend?

I currently I have manual boost controller, I am looking into the electronic boost controller. Is there one that you would recommend?
for a 12ht? I don't think it works like that with these old models, which is the inherent beauty. I've used a manual controller and had satisfactory results.

I can recommend not to get the GFB D-Force electronic controller. I used one for a few months then it went in the bin. The screen constantly freezes, its touch screen is way too sensitive causing it to change settings without you knowing upon an accidental touch with your clothing etc, the display is insanely bright which is great during the day but annoying at night as it has no dimmer function, the EGT add on for it stops working at random times. When it works it works very well and the gain, sensitivity and duty cycle parameters give very fine control over how the wastgate opens but I couldn't live with the constant issues as mentioned and removed it. I was going to replace it with a Turbosmart E-Boost Street which by all my research and feedback from friends using it is a much better controller but I went down a different path of controlling my wastgate so gave up on boost controllers.

for a 12ht? I don't think it works like that with these old models, which is the inherent beauty. I've used a manual controller and had satisfactory results.
I could be wrong, but what/how is the electronic boost controller going to get data from?

This is the one I have had on my turbo 2H for many years now with no problems.
Easy to fine tune boost from inside the cab while on the road.

I could be wrong, but what/how is the electronic boost controller going to get data from?

I assume it would come with an electronic boost pressure sensor that would need to be installed with it. Same as an HDJ81.

I assume it would come with an electronic boost pressure sensor that would need to be installed with it. Same as an HDJ81.

Yup, this. The advantage of an EBC is that it doesn't bleed off pressure like the manual boost controllers. Theoretically, you should be able to build boost faster as a result. You could get something like an AEM Tru Boost for an EBC.

I'm just running a Dawes MBC on my 1HD-T:

Dawes MBC

I don't remember it being anywhere near this expensive when I bought it. Still quite a bit cheaper than an EBC. I also have one from NXS, but I haven't tried it. No complaints about the one from Dawes.

NXS MBC

I have a turbo smart boost tee as well but....

my turbo shaft broke and I'm looking into going with a turbo that has a spring and diaphragm wastegate actuator.

I can recommend not to get the GFB D-Force electronic controller. I used one for a few months then it went in the bin. The screen constantly freezes, its touch screen is way too sensitive causing it to change settings without you knowing upon an accidental touch with your clothing etc, the display is insanely bright which is great during the day but annoying at night as it has no dimmer function, the EGT add on for it stops working at random times. When it works it works very well and the gain, sensitivity and duty cycle parameters give very fine control over how the wastgate opens but I couldn't live with the constant issues as mentioned and removed it. I was going to replace it with a Turbosmart E-Boost Street which by all my research and feedback from friends using it is a much better controller but I went down a different path of controlling my wastgate so gave up on boost controllers.
Thank you i will check out the turbosmart.

This is the one I have had on my turbo 2H for many years now with no problems.
Easy to fine tune boost from inside the cab while on the road.
I will check it out, but i am looking for something that will automatically make the adjustment since i am not good at doing that. Thx

I will check it out, but i am looking for something that will automatically make the adjustment since i am not good at doing that. Thx

What do you mean by "automatically make the adjustment"? Whether you're using a manual or an electronic boost controller, you still need to decide the boost level appropriate for your circumstances. Diesel's aren't like gas engines where you have a low and a high boost setting, as the fueling needs to be matched to the boost, and it's a mechanical adjustment for fuel on everything before the 1HD-FTE's, so once you're finished tuning you'd just leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom