Well it seems the '08 200 series is going to have to be sold. Cash is needed- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am selling my 200 series, looking for about $30K. Thinking to buy a Cayenne GTS. Smaller, great in the snow still. And frees up cash for education. It has 137,ooo miles, and is quite a nice rig. Has all the options. The original window sticker had it for sale at about $73,000 I think. It has the black XD wheels, KO2, and comes with a spare set of Tundra wheels. Tinted dark. I'm just wondering if there are any Cayenne owners out there that can give me some advice - what to look for, issues? Seems I can pick a GTS up for about 20K. I just am curious regular maintenance etc...

You may want to post this under a section that would include Porsche Cayennes.:hmm:

After owning many German cars over the years, I have learned there is no such thing as inexpensive maintenance for them, and honestly a $20k Cayenne will probably cost you $3k+ annually to keep road worthy while also still depreciating quite a bit. My opinion is that if you truly want to free up cash an older used German car is probably the worst choice you could make. Other than gas, Land Cruiser is one of the best choices you can make in terms of low maintenance and slow depreciation, and the best part is you already own it. I vote to keep it.

Have you looked into Mercedes G class? It's the closest German equal to LC IMO. My brother has the 2012 G550 with 3 diff locks, hydraulic suspension, solid front and rear axles standard from factory.

"$20k Porsche" and "freeing up cash" are mutually exclusive statements.

My Porsche dealer charged me $350 for the 5k service for my Boxster. It's more for a Cayenne. My 200 series oil change with loaner car from Toyota is $80. An indy shop will not come close to $80 in servicing a Cayenne.

And right now I'm just talking about regular maintenance - I haven't even touched on your potential repairs for a first-gen Cayenne. The GTS has a powerful V8 and the truck weighs about 5000 lbs - you won't save too much on gas there.

You are going from one of the most reliable vehicles on the road to the most unreliable.

If your goal truly is to free up cash and you're in school - sell the Landcruiser and buy a certified RAV4 and put snow tires on it. Or else just stay put - you have a nice truck.

My old boss' daughter (who is quite wealthy) has seriously regretted buying hers...even though she can easily afford the problems...and the problems (as in constant maintenance) have been many. Crazy expensive to maintain, and they charge big bucks for even routine stuff. I don't have details, other than just the general impression that they are serious money pits--especially if daily drivers.

Porsche & Save Money = Oil & Water

Last edited:
Love German cars, but keep them only as long as the warranty lasts. Always some computer patch needed and only dealer can do it.

I too love German cars... they are ALMOST as cool as Italian cars.... all on posters with pretty ladies.

After owning many German cars over the years, I have learned there is no such thing as inexpensive maintenance for them... My opinion is that if you truly want to free up cash an older used German car is probably the worst choice you could make.

This, same experience here

IMHO I will agree with the fact that although at the moment the Cayenne may seem inexpensive, german vehicles tend to be maintenance heavy vehicles. I've owned BMWs, Audis, MB's and VWs, and they are great cars, their engineering is simply top notch and the driving experience is fantastic (in most cases) but they do require regular maintenance, and I can tell you their parts and Labor do not come cheap! In the long run the LC will be cheaper for you.

^^^^^ This.. If you must sell the Cruiser, buy a POS Subaru and put 20k towards "education" instead of 10k. Other people's Cayenne GTS' are nice but owning your own whilst needing cash is not advised. Hell, you may be better off taking a sig loan from your bank for the 10k or so and keeping the LC. Good luck man

agree with all of the above..... and I love german cars but they will never "save" you money...

E

The transmission, gas tank, both front calipers had to be replaced in the first year of ownership of my Mercedes g-class. Good luck with that....

Own one while warranty is valid, ditch it right before warranty is out!! Love German car as well especially Bimmer but my 20 yrs old 80 is way more reliable than them!! Spare at least $3-5k for maintenance/repair per year if you want to own one.

The transmission, gas tank, both front calipers had to be replaced in the first year of ownership of my Mercedes g-class. Good luck with that....
Not saying G-wagon is bullet proof but you gotta a point there. European cars in general are not keepers after warranty period is over. I can testify to that after owning my M6 and x5

$927.54 warranty cost to replace a water pump on my 911, $225 for an oil change, >$350/tire with 15k mi lifespan, etc., etc. etc. A P-car is the land-based equivalent to a sailboat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom