Weezer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not the band, my 40. I have a wheez that I cannot find. I'm driving, runs fine then starts making a very loud vacuum wheezing sound. If I increase the rpm it stops but comes right back. Then it stops making the sound as in nothing. Of course it won't make the sound when I open the hood, by then it has stopped. Also it runs a tab bit rough during the noise. When the noise stops it goes back to running smooth.

I have replaced every hose including the hoses associated with the vacuum four wheel drive this is a '68. The only two items I can come up with is, the vacuum to the distributor as in something inside the dizzy or could it be anything related to the fuel shutoff solenoid. I'm picking at any oddity I can.
The stock carb is freshly rebuilt by one of the experts here. Remember, it doesn't do it all the time. I also replaced the carb to intake gasket. A mystery indeed. It's all stock.
Thank you for any and all opinions.

Last edited:
Intake manifold ? Use carb cleaner to spray around and listen for RPM changes. Take the nozzle straw off use small bursts, working your way around.

Is it a high pitch noise? I don't know, I use to have a high pitch "weeze" noise just how you described it. I would be at a red light and it would start up, then it died down when I would drive off. For me, it was the pcv valve hose. The hose was good, not damage, but it still had a vacuume leak. All I needed was to add a clamp to the hose to snug it down; then the noise stopped.

Perhpas go over all hoses and make sure they have a clamp on each end.

Welp I went out to look at the factory clamp on PCV valve. Worn out as in no clamping power left. I removed the PCV valve and it was frozen so I dipped it in solvent, got it freed up and installed a new clamp. Will take it out later for a test run. I don't know how I overlooked the PCV valve from getting serviced. This is what happens when you get old, you get stupid. Will report back.
Regards.

Last edited:
As long as it doesn’t say “squeel like a pig boy” I think you are ok. If you also hear anything like banjos then you might have a problem.

I just got back from a wheezy test drive. Ugh... It started half way thru the drive, I pulled off and quickly opened the hood. Not quick enough, it stopped. I drove it another mile and it started again. When it idles after about thirty seconds the noise stops. It starts again when in third doing about 45 to 50 and slow down to merge with traffic of stop.
Oh' I'm squealing alright, out of frustration. I won't give up. Thanks all and I will take on the carb cleaner or propane test to check for possible issues. What is driving me batty is it doesn't do it all the time.

Clutch fan whine?

You have a 1968, correct? Then your year did NOT come with a "fan clutch" and instead is a "direct drive" fan behind the radiator; so no reason for a wheezing noise to come from there. Unless the previous owner made some changes and added a fan clutch, then its possible.

To me, it sounds like you do have a vaccum leak somewhere. Another suspect would be your brake booster, but again, a 1968 cruiser didn't come with one from factory; unless again, one was added to your Fj40.

You will find it! I was really hoping it was the pcv valve or the hose coming from it. There has to be a loose hose somewhere or something missing!

And Kevos37 wins. Carb cleaner on intake manifold, rpm drops, BAM !! problem found. I cleaned the area with the Dremel and solvent, applied a little strip of liquid gasket and let set for two days. Just took it for a spin and no wheez. When winter comes I'll change out the gasket. Thanks all for the tips, very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom