Weekend Transformation, OME 861/862 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was rocking 265's with MAF 30mm spring spacers for a few years now. Slapped on OME 861/862 springs, dropped the boards and I had 285s put on a few weeks ago. I'm really happy with the new look. Snapped just about every bolt on the running boards which actually made things easier until I got to the rear brackets. I ended up Dremeling on them and beating the remaining bracket with a massive pipe-wrench. :p

I cut down the remaining plastic front and rear running board flaps with a Dremel and then used a mouse sander to smooth out the edges. They turned out really well. I'm not sure if I will even look for factory front flaps at this point. I painted the undercarriage on each side flat black so things look a little better under there now that the boards are gone. Painted the lower 1" of the rocker panels too so your eyes are not drawn to that area as much. The wife is a former gymnast/diver and 5'-1" and she can still hop up in there so we're all good!

I've done springs on a couple of other Cruisers and had been through the drill before so I don't have much in the way of play-by-play but just thought I'd post the pics from a fun wrenching weekend. The wife was out of town so I got a lot of manly garage time. ;) I've got a set of MAF 2" drop brackets that I still need to put on but it drives relatively well still.

The pics:

FIRST PIC IS WITH ONLY THE FRONTS ON. BULLDOGGIN'!

BEST JACKS I'VE EVER OWNED. LOW-PROFILE SO THEY SLIP UNDER MY VETTE.

TWO IDENTICAL JACKS MADE THINGS EASY.

LATE FRIDAY NIGHT

ALL DONE.

THE CARNAGE

Last edited:
Looks good! Too bad you couldn't get a nicer day to take the pics

Nice! It's on my list to do, as that spring combo is perfect for my needs. Hopefully soon. Looks great, good job!

cheers

Looks good! Too bad you couldn't get a nicer day to take the pics

Ha. Yah, really. ;) I could do without the humidity though. I've lived in mid-Missouri for 38 years. You'd think I'd be used to it by now.

Harry,
I'm sure you'll be really happy with the improvement over tired coils. Anyone still running stock coils at this point should give consideration to doing the 861/862 thing.

that looks good, congrats. is that springs only or springs plos the 30mm spacers you mentioned in the first post?

that looks good, congrats. is that springs only or springs plus the 30mm spacers you mentioned in the first post?

Springs and spacers. It's yields about a 2" lift overall. Surprisingly, two of the spring spacers actually dropped down with the old springs. I figured they would be wedged up in there better than that.

Got the caster correction brackets on. Back up to 3.1 and 3.3 degrees, respectively. Drives nicely.

Not really seeing your point here. Did I say something incorrectly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom