Weekend Project: Stock Seat Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nicely Done !!

Great job

Looks great! I have the same task on my To Do list so thanks for the tips.

Nothing like reviving an 11 year old thread, but here goes nothing.

I'm working on my set now (also the 3 piece back), and have this piece of foam which I've confirmed with SOR is for the driver seat back. This is probably a stupid question, but is the carve out supposed to be on the bottom or the top? I can't figure out the intent of that carve out.

1612293825127.png

Carve out goes against the springs, that allows those side pieces of foam to provide substance along the sides.

Carve out goes against the springs, that allows those side pieces of foam to provide substance along the sides.

Thanks @middlecalf. I should have been more clear. I'm wondering about the carve out in the edge piece (pictured below). In the kit, there is a piece of foam that is the exact same size as this one but the edge piece wraps all the way around. I've learned that piece belongs on the passenger back (I have the three piece split back), but can't figure out why this one is supposed to be different for the driver side. Does that chunk that is missing in the edge piece go at the bottom of the seat back or at the top? I'm guessing bottom, but I have no idea why it would be different for the drive seat back than the passenger seat back.

1612380187622.png

I would have guessed bottom but do you have headrests? If so then maybe top for access? But I don’t really know so hopefully someone who does will jump in. GL.

Ya, I thought about headrests too, but the passenger side has the headrest option too and no cutout on the foam. It also wouldn’t really interfere with the headrest opening.

If the cutout goes at the top:
883D1156-0FA8-47EF-AA88-E3CC69EA37E2.jpeg

If the cutout goes on the bottom:
84AC52E1-DAEC-47EA-9FF8-CE1F3025FC37.jpeg

The full seat back:
E24D73BD-2F54-4F13-A9F7-119647B2F4D8.jpeg

I’m definitely over thinking it, but figured I’d ask before finishing the upholstery. 😁

Some last thoughts (guesses actually 😂). Maybe the cutout needs to go at the bottom to alleviate any material binding when folding the back down? But then why not the same for the passenger side? I did my seats with SOR foam many years ago and I can’t remember what I did wrt that cutout, but I do know my driver‘s back folds with less interference with the seat bottom than the passenger side, but it also gets sat on 10 times more often. Maybe someone at SOR knows.

Lot of help, eh?🤪

Some last thoughts (guesses actually 😂). Maybe the cutout needs to go at the bottom to alleviate any material binding when folding the back down? But then why not the same for the passenger side? I did my seats with SOR foam many years ago and I can’t remember what I did wrt that cutout, but I do know my driver‘s back folds with less interference with the seat bottom than the passenger side, but it also gets sat on 10 times more often. Maybe someone at SOR knows.

Lot of help, eh?🤪

Well this was my most confident guess as well (less material when folding the seat), so if two of us are thinking that...

...two of us are probably wrong. 🤣🤣🤣

I believe u two are correct . From what I can recall that non foam part goes here. Bottom of back to give a little ramp to fold forward. I went thru my phone pics and didn't see where I took detailed pictures of that part of the installation. So I'm going with cutout towards bottom of back to assist in folding forward
16123990717076916734443645995817.jpg

Last edited:
I can tell u the extra foam on top will not interfere with possible headrest use. Finding an appropriate headrest and grommet will be your challenge

I can tell u the extra foam on top will not interfere with possible headrest use. Finding an appropriate headrest and grommet will be your challenge

Love it. Cool looking covers too!

Ya, I saw a thread where someone fitted some old Nissan Quest headrests. Not going to worry about headrests for now though! :D

Following up on @baxter1234 revival 😂. I’m about to do my seats too on the FJ45. I got a bench seat from a 72 and found out it doesn’t fit. I wanted the 72 since it has the multispring base instead of the wavy U shape spring that goes from one side to the other.

is it worth it trying to conver my seat frames to the later models with the multispring option. Since I have the 72 frame I can probably cut it and fit it into the 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom