weekend bumper build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been thinking about this a lot- didn't want a lot of weight since it'll be a while before springs are upgraded, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. The good news is that I had this old bumper lying around from my FJ55.

bumper1.jpg

It was warped from welding it too fast though (sags on the ends) and it was rather large. 3x6" - 3/16 square tube. Other than that, I liked the center section, and the rotating clevis mounts.

So, we cut along the the drawn lines- moved the center section down, took the top 2" off, and narrowed it 2". Diamond plate was added to the top.

bumper2.jpg

(looks warped, but the difference between the edges and the center is less than 1/8")

Still need to finish the quarters (next weekend?) and mount the license plate...
Bad picture-nothing to test it on in western Nebraska.... The cost? Nothing- all materials were recycled from bigger materials. :D

bumper3q.jpg

Time for the quarter panels.

1007364.jpg

The sides were built from an old 55 front bumper and some other junk. :hillbilly:

1007371r.jpg

Painted, mounted.

1007376.jpg

Still need to relocate the exhaust and patch the mud flaps. In retrospect, it might have been better to make it from square tubing, but... Oh well.

1007377.jpg

In 30 hours the truck's getting loaded and taken down to Escalante to play in the desert. :steer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom