weBoost LX450 Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sxp

Threads
There are only a few threads on here about installing a weBoost, and none like this so...

I bought a weBoost Drive Reach kit from HuddExpo. This was the Overland kit so it came with the truck mirror antenna and direct wiring kit. I picked up a Yodateq rear quarter panel mount for the antenna also.

For installation, I mounted the antenna to the mount, and ran the cable through the rear taillight, and into the wiring grommet to get into the quarter panel.
PXL_20211002_192645424.jpg

PXL_20211002_200929624.jpg

I filed a notch into the taillight, and drilled two holes along the top edge for zip ties to hold the cable in place (I know black ties would look better, I was out).
PXL_20211002_201336966.jpg

I removed the old cell phone hardware from inside the quarter panel. I reused the bracket to mount the booster. There are two hot wires inside the old loom. One is always hot when the 15 amp cell phone fuse is in place. The other is hot when the ignition is on. I used the 'ignition on' hot wire for the power to the booster. I grounded this to a clean bolt in the jack area. Both the ground and the supplied 3 amp inline fuse are accessible from the tool compartment door.
PXL_20211002_203528587.jpg

PXL_20211003_212754084.jpg

I snaked the front antenna wire under the carpet up to the center console. The antenna is mounted near the hand brake. Both antenna cables are coiled up and secured with zip ties. The power light can easily be seen reflecting off of the quarter panel metal, and can be checked by opening the tool compartment door.
PXL_20211003_213036995.jpg

PXL_20211003_215437732.jpg

Everything seems good so far. I have yet to get a real good test with it, but doing signal strength tests shows that it works.
PXL_20211002_221358183.jpg

I have maybe four installs under my belt. Each has been very involved.
The hardest part was figuring out where to get power from. I wanted it to stay in the rear of the truck so I had to check the old cell harness for power in multiple setups (fuse in key off, fuse in key on, fuse out key off, etc).

There was also lots of staring. Is this cable going here? Can I mount that there? There isn't a whole lot of pictures out there for 80's hence why I posted these.

Also, in order to get the spring to work on the Yodateq mount, I had to grind down the bottom nut a bit. Otherwise, it is too thick to allow it to be tightened adequately.

The hardest part was figuring out where to get power from. I wanted it to stay in the rear of the truck so I had to check the old cell harness for power in multiple setups (fuse in key off, fuse in key on, fuse out key off, etc).

There was also lots of staring. Is this cable going here? Can I mount that there? There isn't a whole lot of pictures out there for 80's hence why I posted these.
I actually shortened all of the power cables and coax. The ODC was raging hard.

I used the same mount for mine and ended up removing the spring section because the antenna seemed to move around way too much.

so i read the title and thought this thread was a turbo thread, weBoost or wits end turbo

lol lol ha ha

so i read the title and thought this thread was a turbo thread, weBoost or wits end turbo

lol lol ha ha

I think you just have to keep the turbo spooled up to pull in more cell signal.

I had to google this, it's a mobile signal booster is it? I was wondering why I'd never seen or heard of one of these before, then I found out from a government website that "It is illegal to own, use or supply a mobile phone booster in Australia." So I guess that explains why. Doesn't really matter for me anyway. You can't boost what doesn't exist in the first place. So much of Australia is empty, cell phone service gets very patchy here outside of the cities and towns, even on major highway routes.

Personally, I'm looking closely at Starlink. Mobile highspeed broadband internet connection that'll work anywhere on land or sea, and they can't really charge a premium for portable use either, because they won't really know if you're using it from your house or you've got a dish on the back of your 4x4 as you drive across the desert. Cheaper than a sat phone or emergency beacon, more widely usable than a cell phone connection, and more useful than all of them. Very good option for Australia I think. If you've broken down somewhere remote, it'd be nice to be able to WiFi call someone and give them your exact GPS coordinates, like emergency services if needed, or a good mate to pick you up or bring a spare part. It's not an exaggeration to say this kind of thing could save your life here if you travel remote.

As in the whole antenna, or just the spring on the mount because you couldn't get it tight enough?
The mount is solid. I found the spring allowed the antenna itself to move too much. I didn't have any problem with the spring mounting to the plate. What I did not like was the antenna whipping around so much. If the spring had been stiffer it wouldnt be an issue.

I had to google this, it's a mobile signal booster is it? I was wondering why I'd never seen or heard of one of these before, then I found out from a government website that "It is illegal to own, use or supply a mobile phone booster in Australia." So I guess that explains why. Doesn't really matter for me anyway. You can't boost what doesn't exist in the first place. So much of Australia is empty, cell phone service gets very patchy here outside of the cities and towns, even on major highway routes.

Personally, I'm looking closely at Starlink. Mobile highspeed broadband internet connection that'll work anywhere on land or sea, and they can't really charge a premium for portable use either, because they won't really know if you're using it from your house or you've got a dish on the back of your 4x4 as you drive across the desert. Cheaper than a sat phone or emergency beacon, more widely usable than a cell phone connection, and more useful than all of them. Very good option for Australia I think. If you've broken down somewhere remote, it'd be nice to be able to WiFi call someone and give them your exact GPS coordinates, like emergency services if needed, or a good mate to pick you up or bring a spare part. It's not an exaggeration to say this kind of thing could save your life here if you travel remote.
As a full time travelers in the US we are also watching StarLink very closely. Its now available for stationary application and the mobile licenses has been applied for. IMO, its a real game changer. $500 for the gear and very respectable up and down speeds at a very reasonable monthly rate

I had my weBoost in my LX for about 7 months this past winter while traveling the South West. As you stated, you have to have something to boost. We did a ton of stuff in Utah and Arizona and I did not see a great advantage with the Weboost in the car. I had mine permanently mounted on my bus and it sits next to my PepWave, i have seen significant boost in this setup, helps for work, until I can get Starlink...

Most up to date info on Starlink 4 Things RVers Need To Know About Starlink Internet - https://camperreport.com/starlink-internet/

Bumping this bad boy for advice on installing in the passenger rear quarter. I have a power block so I’m not worried about power. Mostly looking for guidance on the mounting of the gadget. I’ll
Pull the interior antenna along the passenger side near the door jambs and behind the dash where my phone sits. External antenna will need to ride on the PS as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@bonestock, the only think I'd keep in mind is that the light on the top of the unit tells you if it is working or not. You may want to mount it in a way that lets you check on the light.

Since mine is in the driver side panel, I can open the jack door, and see the light reflecting off the skin of the quarter panel.

I have a @orangeboxxfab PS molle panel mounted at an @Delta VS attic bracket. I think I will mount the weboost gadget on the window side of the molle panel. My only concern is that it could get hot in the sin there but the whole thing is basically one giant heat sync so we will see.

I did a similar install but on the passenger side. My plan is to use the Wits End 1/4 panel mount for the base of the WeBoost but until then it is sitting on the floor behind the center console.
we boost install.jpg
we boost install 2.jpg

Here's a question for the gang, did anyone that installed this to an always-hot power supply add a switch? I'm realizing that the unit will always be powered unless I add a switch, probably in-line. Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Here's a question for the gang, did anyone that installed this to an always-hot power supply add a switch? I'm realizing that the unit will always be powered unless I add a switch, probably in-line. Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I did not but the concern with always hot, a draw on your battery. Obviously it isn't going to be enough to drain your battery over a few hours but a few days of sitting it might.

I did the mod where I can roll up/down my windows due to a jumper the battery will drain over time, the lights for the switches are illuminated 24/7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom