Water running sound behind dashboard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I just picked up my first FJ80! It has a sound when accelerating above 2000 RPM and at an incline like water is running behind the dashboard (sounds like it's behind the radio or passenger side). The A/C doesn't work so I'm thinking the drain tube is blocked? Not sure where to go from there, thanks for any inputs!

Check your coolant level, I bet there is air pockets in the system. When filling it, remember to get the right funnel that allows the level of coolant in the radiator to get higher than the heater valve.

Awesome, thanks! Coolant level is good but I did just have the fluid flushed and hoses replaced before this started happening! I'll have them check the system for air!

Also, check that the drains along your rockers are clear. I just had the same issue (sloshing water sound), and it was a blocked set of drains along the passenger side rocker panel's pinch weld. I pulled the rubber drain plugs out, and had about a half gallon of water dump out!! It's an easy enough fix, but you might get wet in the process.

Look for some roughly dime sized plugs along the underside of the rocker panel. It's best if you're parked on a slight incline, since any water will be sent to one end, and drain a bit more efficiently. Then use a bit of stiff wire/end of zip tie/small flat blade screwdriver, and poke/clear out the slit drains along the pinch weld. Give a good shot of WD40, or similar moisture displacer, into the rockers, then pop your plugs back in & have a tasty beverage!

As a follow up, the tube running into the auxiliary coolant reservoir was missing so the engine was sucking air in instead of coolant. Easy fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom