Warn winch 8274 upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kkt

Threads
I see posts about an upgrade to a 6hp motor from the stock 4.5hp. Anyone have a part number on the upgraded motor?
I found the 4.5 motor on dbelectrical.com

the cool one is a twin motor, liquid cooled 8274...google it...

Search MAtt Mcinnes in the user field and 8274 in the search.

OMG! They get crazy with upgrades in Australia.

I have several standard 8274's (6) and have never run out of power on any of my rigs. If your motor is junk, then upgrade. If your motor is working great, you will never notice the difference with the upgrade.

Search MAtt Mcinnes in the user field and 8274 in the search.

OMG! They get crazy with upgrades in Australia.

I have several standard 8274's (6) and have never run out of power on any of my rigs. If your motor is junk, then upgrade. If your motor is working great, you will never notice the difference with the upgrade.

would the increase to 6hp increase capacity?

Do you have any idea about how much the increase would be? I'm planning a full restore and thinking I may as well upgrade the motor as this one is 40 years old.

No; I don't know how you would measure it. But with the huge mechanical advantage of the small pinion gear and the huge driven spur gear, whatever the motor is putting out is multiplied several fold. You could at least do a simple ratio calculation between the old motor hp and the new, and maybe get some idea.

All I know is that the 6hp 9.5XP motor really woke mine up. I've pulled some things with it that I wouldn't have guessed would have worked at all. If I can anchor my 40, I haven't found anything that it couldn't pull yet.

No; I don't know how you would measure it. But with the huge mechanical advantage of the small pinion gear and the huge driven spur gear, whatever the motor is putting out is multiplied several fold. You could at least do a simple ratio calculation between the old motor hp and the new, and maybe get some idea.

All I know is that the 6hp 9.5XP motor really woke mine up. I've pulled some things with it that I wouldn't have guessed would have worked at all. If I can anchor my 40, I haven't found anything that it couldn't pull yet.

Very good to know. I tend to agree these winches are underrated.
I'm thinking with the 6hp it may be more of a 12k rating. It would likely out pull my current VR10000. weighs 3x as much.

Go check out the new WARN 8274, bring your gold card. It's now rated at #10,000 lbs

Go check out the new WARN 8274, bring your gold card. It's now rated at #10,000 lbs
yeah the 10k are almost $1I more than the 8k. I got mine for just a small trade.
20200611_101042.jpg
20200611_100726.jpg

Very good to know. I tend to agree these winches are underrated.
I'm thinking with the 6hp it may be more of a 12k rating. It would likely out pull my current VR10000. weighs 3x as much.

And it will pull a lot faster - these things are super fast compared to a planetary winch.

Anyone know where I could get a bearing to upgrade the non gear side from a bushing?

That would be a very odd size bearing, and there wouldn't be enough meat in the off-side casting to hold it I'm thinking.

A lot of guys drill that off-side support and add a grease zerk so that you can at least keep that end of the drum and the bushing lubed.

That would be a very odd size bearing, and there wouldn't be enough meat in the off-side casting to hold it I'm thinking.

A lot of guys drill that off-side support and add a grease zerk so that you can at least keep that end of the drum and the bushing lubed.

Ah, I see. that makes sense. then put a plate over it. I have holes top and bottom of that hole but of course a bolt looks broken off lol.

I just got this 8274 yesterday so I'm in the planning stage of cleaning it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom