Warn M8000 article. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can't pull up that article here on the base computer but have to question putting an m8000 on an armored up 80. I am thinking 9k is the minimum.

I have a 20 year old Warn xd9500i on my 80 that pulls it really hard. Been pretty impressed how it has gotten me out of situations.

Here we go, another battle of the winch thread :popcorn:

Here we go, another battle of the winch thread :popcorn:

Not trying to do that! haha Just really want to do my due diligence on such a large and important purchase!

Not trying to do that! haha Just really want to do my due diligence on such a large and important purchase!

Pulled 10 different trucks up a crazy 20ft rock wall at rock therapy this last year. All with my m8000. They were full single line ~80ft pulls too. Pulled about 6 runners and a few tacos. Hardest pull by far was a 2016 longbed taco fully loaded at expo weight. That thing must of weighed more than my truck. Warn did great on every pull. I had doubts before that about it having enough to pull my truck. After that totally believe I'd have zero problem pulling my truck over/up anything.

Most of you have heard the story of me pulling the Jeep LJ out of a flash flood in Moab.
Flash flood from a crazy rainstorm, been on the Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim trail since 10 AM, it was after 11:00 at night. All we needed to do was get across the river, and hit the highway, or sleep in the vehicles. Turning around on a more than 12 hour Trail wasn’t an option. The LJ Rubicon on 35’s attempted the water. It went in half way, got swept into the current, and dragged to the river curve. It went down so deep, there was water running up halfway over the windshield. 35’s sunk in, cab and engine bay full of sand... the M8000 on my XJ dragged that Jeep out of that river, single line. I thought it was going to seize and stop, but it never kept pulling. Might have saved two lives. How much you think a built LJ Rubicon, on long arms, 35” tires buried, completely full of sand weighs? I’m a believer. :cool:

Maybe lesser brand winches a 9000 is required. The trail ride I was on last weekend, there were two guys with Smittybilt winches, that had to leave their power leads unhooked, because they were causing battery drain while connected.

Pulled 10 different trucks up a crazy 20ft rock wall at rock therapy this last year. All with my m8000. They were full single line ~80ft pulls too. Pulled about 6 runners and a few tacos. Hardest pull by far was a 2016 longbed taco fully loaded at expo weight. That thing must of weighed more than my truck. Warn did great on every pull. I had doubts before that about it having enough to pull my truck. After that totally believe I'd have zero problem pulling my truck over/up anything.

You've got an xd9000, I looked at it on Monday. ;)

Most of you have heard the story of me pulling the Jeep LJ out of a flash flood in Moab.
Flash flood from a crazy rainstorm, been on the Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim trail since 10 AM, it was after 11:00 at night. All we needed to do was get across the river, and hit the highway, or sleep in the vehicles. Turning around on a more than 12 hour Trail wasn’t an option. The LJ Rubicon on 35’s attempted the water. It went in half way, got swept into the current, and dragged to the river curve. It went down so deep, there was water running up halfway over the windshield. 35’s sunk in, cab and engine bay full of sand... the M8000 on my XJ dragged that Jeep out of that river, single line. I thought it was going to seize and stop, but it never kept pulling. Might have saved two lives. How much you think a built LJ Rubicon, on long arms, 35” tires buried, completely full of sand weighs? I’m a believer. :cool:

Maybe lesser brand winches a 9000 is required. The trail ride I was on last weekend, there were two guys with Smittybilt winches, that had to leave their power leads unhooked, because they were causing battery drain while connected.

Man that's an awesome story, in light of that and the fact that warn has much newer premium offerings, if you were in the market for a new winch would you go m8000 or try a newer warn with newer technology and more power/hp ?

Man that's an awesome story, in light of that and the fact that warn has much newer premium offerings, if you were in the market for a new winch would you go m8000 or try a newer warn with newer technology and more power/hp ?

I’m kind of cheap when it comes to winches. My two rigs are so capable, I barely use them. Maybe once a year, or for others. I have a couple friends that have bought the new 10s Platinums, and I just can’t see spending that much on a winch. I’d rather spend money on performance suspension or gears and lockers. For me, if I have to winch, I’ll go home or take the bypass. Lol.
So the answer is, I’d still buy an M series. I don’t care for integrated solenoid winches, because they don’t have as many mounting options, and are difficult to impossible to repair on the trail.
Also, avoid the VR winches. Warn brought them out to compete with all of the budget winches. If you go into Predator 4x4, they have the planetary sets out of an M series and a VR on the counter for comparison. It’s pretty cool to see how much beefier the M series set is.

I’m kind of cheap when it comes to winches. My two rigs are so capable, I barely use them. Maybe once a year, or for others. I have a couple friends that have bought the new 10s Platinums, and I just can’t see spending that much on a winch. I’d rather spend money on performance suspension or gears and lockers. For me, if I have to winch, I’ll go home or take the bypass. Lol.
So the answer is, I’d still buy an M series. I don’t care for integrated solenoid winches, because they don’t have as many mounting options, and are difficult to impossible to repair on the trail.
Also, avoid the VR winches. Warn brought them out to compete with all of the budget winches. If you go into Predator 4x4, they have the planetary sets out of an M series and a VR on the counter for comparison. It’s pretty cool to see how much beefier the M series set is.

Thank you Sir, yeah the Platinum lineup isn't in the running at all! Nice but almost 2 grand is out of the question, also not considering the VR series as I think they are basically the same as any other chinese winch. I'm gonna go by Predator today and check out those gearsets and see what they have on hand.

You've got an xd9000, I looked at it on Monday. ;)
Lol I had no idea.

I am the one with the M8000 (Max and I swapped):)...would buy it again in a heartbeat. Mine is 10yrs old, but I would easily do it again. Had one on my 60 back in the day as well. Great bang for the buck, granted I have never used it to the level of some guys that seem to winch all the time. Based on what I have seen over the years, if a fully locked 80 on 35's needs a winch, your'e going to need a snatch block too along with quite a bit of help. Besides, for the the roughly 10% more pull power and increase in price is effort better put towards the fat low belly and trimming the butt these things have.

On sale. Just ordered one $599 from 4wheelparts shipped to the door. Just in case my old winch doesn’t fit the new bumper...

Haha... patience...:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom