Warn 9.5XP Winch Users - Important

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleeoffroad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.sleeoffroad.com
Just FYI for people that use Warn 9.5 XP Winches with a feet forward mounting (like on some 100 Series bumpers). The motor has two drain slots 90 degrees from each other. The winch motor comes from the factory configured so it will drain when mounted feet down and the other drain hole is sealed with silicone. If you mount it feet forward, then the motor needs to be removed, the sealed drain hole opened and the other one sealed.

If you do not do this, then you will end up with a trashed motor if you get water in it.

95xp.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up, Christo!

Thanks Christo...fortunately mine is installed feet down.

Fortunately for me, I don't own a winch yet to make the mistake! :D

I'm going with either the M12000 or the Super Wench 10K..... I like both of those.

I vaguely remember something similar about the M12. I hope I'm wrong cuz I don't feel like taking that thing off....

That's gotta be a heavy sucker...
:doh:

I vaguely remember something similar about the M12. I hope I'm wrong cuz I don't feel like taking that thing off....

You clock the motor on the M12 to get access to the free spool handle, but looking at the schematics on Warns' site it doesn't have the drains the 9.5XP does. They could be there and they're just not on the drawing, but they are on the drawing of the XP.

You clock the motor on the M12 to get access to the free spool handle, but looking at the schematics on Warns' site it doesn't have the drains the 9.5XP does. They could be there and they're just not on the drawing, but they are on the drawing of the XP.

well, then hopefully it does not need drains.
(I did not have to rotate anything when putting it feet first in my ARB - added: in my 80)

Last edited:
Christo...Do you know if this would be an issue for the M8000 also?

Well ain't that special. Guess I'll check when I get home. Thanks Monkey.

Thanks for the info, I m glad you brought this up. I have a 9.5xp ready to be installed soon. :) So I will have to do this right?

What do you mean by "clock the motor" for the M12?

I have an M12 going on in about 2 weeks on an ARB Sahara - is it installed "feet down" where I don't have to worry? I haven't dug into the insruructions yet..

What do you mean by "clock the motor" for the M12?

As Christo said, it's not the motor, it's the gear end of things. If you were to install it as it comes, the handle to turn from free spooling to winching would be on the back side of the winch where you couldn't access it. So, you undo the bolts on that end, turn it 90* and then the handle is on the top side.

Last edited:
RE: M12k - DO NOT PULL THE GEAR HOUSING OFF COMPLETELY. Just take the allen bolts out then rotate it. It will only clock every 2nd bolt position. If you take that gear housing off it sucks to get back on.

Also,

to help proect the motor if it goes under water, some time during the rest of the day, run the cable fully out, and wind it back in again, gereate some heat in the winch motor to get rid of any moisture/condensation that may of gatherered when it went under.

We drill housings and run breathers, seal them up etc here, to try and kep them reliable...

One day someone will make a really good winch for 4wding, it will cost 3 x more, but damn it will be reliable, . . . and good . . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom