WARN 8274 wiring (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ccasteel

SILVER Star
Threads
So last year I found that my switch spooled out when I selected "in," and it spooled in when I selected "out." So in addition to replacing some seals since it was leaking I attempted to correct he wiring.

My solenoids were wired up just as in the picture. (Stolen from here) So I figured I could simply switch the brown wire coming from the switch and going to solenoid 4 with the green wire coming from the switch going to solenoid 3.

Seemed to do the trick with no load. But, once I started to spool up my cable I noticed the winch spooling in with the switch pressed in either direction.

I'm going to try getting at it again today and just switch the wires back to see if I have bi directional capability, even if it's the wrong direction. Any other thoughts?

solenoid%20pack.jpg

I would change your inners back to original too. Are you sure that the main power feed lines are correct polarity?

I have a 8274 (I think) but cable directed at my shop you can open up and look at on wrenching weekend.

k

Not sure what you mean by inners? I went ahead and posted in winching section to see if I get any input there. By the way, I did switch the wires back and it still spools in no matter which way I press the switch.

Turns out PO refurbished my Warn 8274 with starter solenoids. Hence the reason I'm probably having the problems I am. Does anyone have the real thing. Apparently they are discontinued. If I can't find something quick I'm going to have to go with the Albright upgrade, which is more work than I have time.
100_1791.JPG

Well the wiring looks correct, I've used starter solenoids and had no issues. My guess is one of them is bad poss stuck

Update, I called Warn with a few questions and for some troubleshooting ideas. I end up getting an extremely helpful fellow who sent me several pictures and steps to try and narrow down the problem. When he found out about the starter solenoids he shipped me a complete set of used but correctly functioning solenoids. With customer service like that, my next winch will undoubtedly be another Warn. Of course with service like that I'll never need another winch.

Very cool. I had a similar experience with Warn on my #1 8274, still good to this day (that was 2006). I would not consider owning another brand. They are good people and the reason you should not buy a Chinese winch.

8274s are basically immortal, and a piece of lifetime kit. Glad you have yours sorted. Your kids will be selling it on Craig's list 40 years from now and still getting good money for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom