Wanted Wanted: H55 Transmission/Transfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GregS

1982 BJ42 (with a few good mods)
Threads
I'm looking for an H55 transmission/transfer setup to be mated to a 3B diesel. It will be installed in a 1982 BJ42. I'm starting from scratch. If a complete setup cannot be found, any combination of the parts needed would be desirable ie. a correct input shaft for a H55, an H55 with correct input shaft, a split transfer case for the H55, the correct shift tower for this application...etc.

I have a new H55 in stock but it has an H/2F input shaft. I also have the correct shifter, knob and oiler cup. I think you could use it if you can find an input shaft.

Sounds interesting....I've PM'd you.

Beware that you have to move the frame x-member behind the tranny further back to accomodate the longer 5 spd. tranny (I believe...).

B

Diescipel said:
Beware that you have to move the frame x-member behind the tranny further back to accomodate the longer 5 spd. tranny (I believe...).

B

Never having done it I have heard:

1) It can fit in stock trim, and is easiest if the tranny is attached to the motor outside the vehicle and stuffed in from the front.

2) Supposed to be a rpita pain to get in and out from the rear, but can be just barely done...(I'll believe it when I see it done in person though).

3) People have cut the frame torsion bar off cleanly at the frame on each side, welded some plate on each end, and used 4 bolts per side to hold the tube in it's stock location. Want the tranny out...simply unbolt the tube.

#3 seems the nicest to me.

hth's

gb

My sept 1981 FJ40 accepted a H55 w/o much issue without carving out the frame crosstube and such. The t-case will have to be bolted to tranny and engine out of truck and stuffed in, OR (BECAUSE OF GAS TANK SPACE) the t-case will have to be assembled under the truck on the installed engine and H55.
--I pulled the engine as I spent 7 hours trying with three tranny jacks to get the h55/t-case mated to the engine before I made it easy.

issues:
top plate for 40 series H55 and the three pieces for conversion are no longer available new world wide (about 4 years out). This conversion make the shift lever emerge 3.5 forward of a 60/70 series top plate.

Sheet metal cover for tranny hump is different between a 4sp and h55. the 40 series al h55 top plate will fit with 1/4" removal of the metal under the shift boot.

The tranfer lever systems are different from 60/70 series and 40 series for H55. I found that the R14X PZJ75 lower lever arm relocates a standard 60/70 black upper shift arm enough to work with minor mods -but you loose the use of the shift gate (allowing 2L as well as 2H, 4H, and 4L).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom