Wanted Wanted: H55 Transmission/Transfer

Discussion in 'Classifieds: Diesel & JDM' started by GregS, Aug 18, 2006.

1. GregS

GregS

I'm looking for an H55 transmission/transfer setup to be mated to a 3B diesel. It will be installed in a 1982 BJ42. I'm starting from scratch. If a complete setup cannot be found, any combination of the parts needed would be desirable ie. a correct input shaft for a H55, an H55 with correct input shaft, a split transfer case for the H55, the correct shift tower for this application...etc.

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    I have a new H55 in stock but it has an H/2F input shaft. I also have the correct shifter, knob and oiler cup. I think you could use it if you can find an input shaft.

3. GregS

GregS

Sounds interesting....I've PM'd you.

4. CaliCruiser

CaliCruiser

you have pm

5. Diescipel

Diescipel

Beware that you have to move the frame x-member behind the tranny further back to accomodate the longer 5 spd. tranny (I believe...).

B

6. Greg_B

Greg_B

Never having done it I have heard:

1) It can fit in stock trim, and is easiest if the tranny is attached to the motor outside the vehicle and stuffed in from the front.

2) Supposed to be a rpita pain to get in and out from the rear, but can be just barely done...(I'll believe it when I see it done in person though).

3) People have cut the frame torsion bar off cleanly at the frame on each side, welded some plate on each end, and used 4 bolts per side to hold the tube in it's stock location. Want the tranny out...simply unbolt the tube.

#3 seems the nicest to me.

hth's

gb

7. rick_d

rick_d

My sept 1981 FJ40 accepted a H55 w/o much issue without carving out the frame crosstube and such. The t-case will have to be bolted to tranny and engine out of truck and stuffed in, OR (BECAUSE OF GAS TANK SPACE) the t-case will have to be assembled under the truck on the installed engine and H55.
    --I pulled the engine as I spent 7 hours trying with three tranny jacks to get the h55/t-case mated to the engine before I made it easy.

issues:
    top plate for 40 series H55 and the three pieces for conversion are no longer available new world wide (about 4 years out). This conversion make the shift lever emerge 3.5 forward of a 60/70 series top plate.

Sheet metal cover for tranny hump is different between a 4sp and h55. the 40 series al h55 top plate will fit with 1/4" removal of the metal under the shift boot.

The tranfer lever systems are different from 60/70 series and 40 series for H55. I found that the R14X PZJ75 lower lever arm relocates a standard 60/70 black upper shift arm enough to work with minor mods -but you loose the use of the shift gate (allowing 2L as well as 2H, 4H, and 4L).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.