Wannabe Rock Crawler/Camping Rig Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like those wheels.

I removed the boat anchor that hung me up endlessly.
tempImage6Bwj6t.jpg

I tore the whole interior out to do some sound deadening and found some rust spots and repaired them.
tempImagefWRqlS.jpg

The previous owner had a shop reroute the exhaust above the frame rail. They did a terrible job in numerous ways. Here's how the floor looked under the rear heater.
tempImage8lab2x.jpg

Here is a shot of the interior fully sound deadened
tempImageAtMkRs.jpg

Then it was time to have some fun with @Squeegee
IMG_2042.JPG

Then this happened. Same thing happened with my last 80. Wrapped it with some duct tape while I waited for the new one to come in.
tempImageqUq7Ok.jpg

Snow fell and proceeded to have some fun trying to get stuck.
tempImagefjnwab.jpg

Snapseed.jpg

51773746070_fe2af60165_o.JPG

51773745985_ceaef7bf40_o.JPG

Next, I installed the rope protector that I got when I also bought the flatlink. I definitely should have just installed it at the very beginning...
tempImageat2H70.jpg

tempImagewrL3a3.jpg

I always felt that the engine wasn't that strong, it just didn't feel healthy. I figured that I could find another 1FZ to replace this one and set it aside to be fully built for a turbo later on. I found a 1FZ out of a 94 with lowish miles and snagged it. I knew there were differences between the 93/94 engines and the 95-97 engines, so I also picked up an engine out of a 97 with rod knock so that I could swap the appropriate parts over to the good engine. Long story short, I didn't want to deal with that, so I bought ANOTHER engine out of a 97 with 190k miles on it and I was ready for the swap.
tempImageGcrYLx.jpg

I was finally able to mount my switch pros panel. Here you can also see a better view of how I mounted my HAM.
tempImage9BWovi.jpg

Then it sat in the garage for a while.

I pulled the axles apart to regear the diffs to 5.29s.
tempImageWAoVbr.jpg

While it was sitting in there, I made mounts to attach my light bar to the tent.
tempImagec3II7f.jpg

Sweet build and nice progress so far! I am a bit behind you but similar direction

Sweet build and nice progress so far! I am a bit behind you but similar direction
Thanks! It's been a fun process so far.

Got the new gears in as well as new corner lights. Huge difference with the gears!
tempImageT2umWT.jpg

Last edited:
I found a JDM roof console gauge thing locally and have still not put it in.
tempImageCqhXdx.jpg

Some of this is a bit out of order, but I also made rear light brackets at some point.
tempImageC3DvPK.jpg

tempImagef8NPMi.jpg

One of the engines I got came with a t case, so I took that apart and installed 10% underdrive gears and 3.whatever:1 low range gears. Then I just needed to swap t cases. badabing badaboom.
tempImagekj9Ajf.jpg

OH! While I had the t case apart, I welded up the viscous coupler to create a spool because these arrived.
tempImageA7dtTF.jpg

Now it became a real Land Cruiser

By this point, the engine was springing new leaks left and right. There was a constant drip of coolant from the back of the block. It was time to yank it out, so into the garage it went.
tempImageiWUwhg.jpg

Once the engine was out, I could see where the coolant was leaking from. It was coming from the head gasket behind cylinder 6. Better to leak out than in I guess.
tempImageG7pwfC.jpg

tempImageSeH6eu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom