VSC TRAC & VSC OFF lights on, no codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Techstream will reveal any DTC’s pending or current in the VSC/Trac/BA ECU- Certain DTC wont be recognized by Scanguage or similar readers. Suggest trying TIS to help you narrow down the issue- you can live test many switches, solenoids, etc to eliminate some guesswork.
Thanks, will give that a try.

So had my friend come over with his Techstream computer and found out two things.
1. My park light bulb was burned out and that can trigger the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights to come on when you put the vehicle in gear.
2. My spiral cable for my steering wheel airbag is bad.

After $357$ later I purchased a new Spiral cable and 11.00 for 5 new dash light bulbs
About 2 hours to replace the Bulbs and Spiral cable and no more VSC TRAC and VSC OFF.
Easy fix, relatively easy to do yourself,

So had my friend come over with his Techstream computer and found out two things.
1. My park light bulb was burned out and that can trigger the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights to come on when you put the vehicle in gear.
2. My spiral cable for my steering wheel airbag is bad.

After $357$ later I purchased a new Spiral cable and 11.00 for 5 new dash light bulbs
About 2 hours to replace the Bulbs and Spiral cable and no more VSC TRAC and VSC OFF.
Easy fix, relatively easy to do yourself,

Okay, I have a similar problem with VSC TRAC and VSC OFF coming on, but only when I put on the Center Diff lock. And... the dash light for my "DRIVE" is out. I wonder if the bad dash light is the cause for my VSC lights acting weird?

Okay, I have a similar problem with VSC TRAC and VSC OFF coming on, but only when I put on the Center Diff lock. And... the dash light for my "DRIVE" is out. I wonder if the bad dash light is the cause for my VSC lights acting weird?
Locking the center diff disengages VSC, so it’s doing what it’s supposed to.

Locking the center diff disengages VSC, so it’s doing what it’s supposed to.

Yes it does, and it should only turn on the VSC OFF light. The VSC TRAC light (as I understand it) is an error light. This is the one I have an issue with. Once I unlock the center diff, the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights remain on. They only go off when the truck is turned off.

And, they both come on if I do an aggressive puddle splashing... So somethings not right.

Sounds like something, wiring / sensors is being affected by water, I would look over the wiring harness and connections if you haven't already. I can't say enough about a Techstream analysis my friend did from Toyota. That diagnostic will tell you a ton of information and help narrow down the issue.

Funny you mentioned that. My 01 LX did the same thing today after engaging the center diff lock, both VSC TRAC and VSC Off lights came on and did not go out when I unlocked the center diff. I had to restart the truck to get them to go out. This is the first time VSC TRAC light has come on when locking the center diff. My D light on the dash has been out since I've owned the truck. I also experienced extreme brake fade coming of the steep twisty mountain grade. Once the grade leveled out, My brakes worked great, VCS TRAC light has not returned yet today.

I had the same issue come up about a year ago, out of the blue as you've described. It ended up being the battery.

I had checked it with my DVM, had 12.5v off and 13.7 running. Took it to auto-zone, had the battery tested and it checked out good.
Fortunately my '02 tacoma also uses 22r, so I swapped batteries with it and drove it for a week with no return of the symptoms. I ended up replacing the battery with a new one and haven't had an issue since.

I believe the ABS/VSC/ATRAC computer systems are hyper sensitive to voltage or voltage stability since they're safety systems. it's possible that my battery had an intermittent short that would disappear as quickly as it occurred (it was an AGM Odyssey). I never noticed any issue with starting or otherwise, just the warning lights.

On a side note, that battery sat on my workbench 6 months. My neighbor who owns an '02 Sequoia was replacing his starter and called me because after he had finished it still wouldn't start... He hadn't checked the battery before doing the work. I brought over my meter, checked it and it was ~3v.. We put my old battery in and it started right up. I gifted it to him as a consolation prize and as far as I know he hasn't had any issues with it.

I hope it's something that simple and not the dreaded $4,000 brake booster pump:crybaby: Just drove it to town a while ago and stops on aa dime, firm peddle. I also engaged the center diff lock in my driveway and only the VCS Off light came on like it's supposed to, not VCS TRAC.

The bulbs are on totally separate circuits in the cluster. One does not affect the other, no matter how hard we try in the alternative facts universe .....

Seems like this is a common problem. Happened to me today and decided to look on this forum for a solution, and already two threads addressing this same issue. It's like my computer knew what I was going to ask.

Please somehow try a new or different battery, yours may seem healthy as mine did, but this is a signal something isn’t -perfect- for the abs/vsc/atrac computer.

trust me, it makes no sense to me then or now, that battery I replaced would still crank the engine strongly and would start within 1/2 to 1 revolution.

I had the same issue come up about a year ago, out of the blue as you've described. It ended up being the battery.

I had similar experience although the symptom wasn't exact same. So for the past year I was bothered by intermittent misfire issue. Whenever the CEL turned on, both VSC TRAC & VSC OFF lights would be on. Tried to swap coil, and replaced spark plugs and no luck. Eventually the battery went dead and replaced. The CEL and VSC lights turned off and no longer came on any more.

Same issue just happened with me mid road trip. 2006 LX 470 and approx 150k miles. Mall queen. This past Wednesday drove from LA 200 miles north. About 70 miles in to it, I noticed only the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights were on. 50 miles later I was able to pull over for lunch. When I started the LX back up, lights were gone and didn't show back up until the drive home yesterday. Again, showed up approx 30 miles in to my 200 mile drive home, turned off when we stopped for lunch and started the LX back up for the remaining drive home, then lit up again 40 or so miles later. No other warning lights on, P and D lights both work, CDL switch is definitely off. No rain or puddles. So...steering rack/bushings? Steering wheel clock spring? Impending brake booster failure? I had similar warning lights issue with my 4th gen 4Runner when the clock spring went out, but IIRC the ABS or Airbags lights were also lit too, in addition to VSC lights. I replaced the clock spring myself, not a big deal. Brake booster is original.

I haven't checked codes. I have Tech Stream, and a simple OBD reader, and the little plug-in module thing that works with an app on my phone. I guess those are my next steps, just wondering if anyone has input.

UPDATE: I just Techstreamed, got Code C1290 - Zero Point of Steering Sensor. Anyone go down this rabbit hole that can tell me what to expect?
Hmmm...maybe steering rack bushing(s)? Steering Angle Sensor code on 2002 LX470 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/steering-angle-sensor-code-on-2002-lx470.844068/page-2
I was also planning on replacing front hubs/bearings/flanges, possibly discs and related cone washers nuts 'n bolts 'n rings 'n stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom