VSC TRAC & VSC OFF lights on, no codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a weird issue that just started out of the blue. Went to back out my 100 from the garage and when I put it in Reverse to back it out, the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF came on, checked for codes, nothing and the lights stayed on when I put it back in park. Tried clearing codes anyway even though it didn't show any, but it didn't help. Comes on everytime I put it in gear. But only if I put it in gear. Never any other lights on the dash. Looking for any suggestions and things to try before having to take it to a mechanic, especially with this whole shelter in place PITA going on.
IMG_1622.jpg

Not meaning to be insulting, but I had this too recently. These lights indicate your center diff lock is on. It's the switch below the hazard switch and mine was stuck and had turned on the center diff lock. Once I pushed harder and it snapped back into place, it turned the center diff lock off. Could be worth a shot to make sure. I was changing the bulbs so had taken the switch/housing apart so things had shifted. Good luck!

Is your “P” bulb out?

Not meaning to be insulting, but I had this too recently. These lights indicate your center diff lock is on. It's the switch below the hazard switch and mine was stuck and had turned on the center diff lock. Once I pushed harder and it snapped back into place, it turned the center diff lock off. Could be worth a shot to make sure. I was changing the bulbs so had taken the switch/housing apart so things had shifted. Good luck!
I will certainly give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion, would love it if it was that simple.
Tried it and when my Diff Lock button is pushed down, I get a another light that comes on that depicts the drive train. But no difference with the other two lights.

Ever do a zero-point calibration? Any work done recently?

The only work recently done was Clutch Fan and Fan. But that was a few weeks prior to this issue cropping up. Could it be a sensor just went bad?
Could be P/N safety switch, given the lights come on only when put in gear. But that would typically throw a code.

Unfortunately this is a somewhat common issue with several reports of it happening under the same circumstances you describe (including myself). I've been driving with those lights on for the past year or so with no problems. There have been a few cases where people have solved it by replacing the steering rack, rack bushings, bearings, speed sensor, or other components, but no one universal solution has been found. I've replaced my rack, bushings, and bearings and still have it after calibrating so next up is going to be the wheel speed sensors at my next bearing job. Some have found replacing just the rack & bushings solved it. As long as it doesn't slam on your brakes and throw you into a wall you're good to drive on it for a while so you can slowly diagnose it.

VSC Off Switch Install

Could be P/N safety switch, given the lights come on only when put in gear. But that would typically throw a code.

Unfortunately this is a somewhat common issue with several reports of it happening under the same circumstances you describe (including myself). I've been driving with those lights on for the past year or so with no problems. There have been a few cases where people have solved it by replacing the steering rack, rack bushings, bearings, speed sensor, or other components, but no one universal solution has been found. I've replaced my rack, bushings, and bearings and still have it after calibrating so next up is going to be the wheel speed sensors at my next bearing job. Some have found replacing just the rack & bushings solved it. As long as it doesn't slam on your brakes and throw you into a wall you're good to drive on it for a while so you can slowly diagnose it.

VSC Off Switch Install
I replaced the whole front end a few years ago when I bought it, didn't do the wheel speed sensors, so might look into that. Will be a puzzle for sure. Isn't my first one with this 100 and probably won't be my last. LOL

I've been living with these lights for a couple of years. I also have a 'check engine' light that goes along with it. An odd thing is that it goes away in the winter so from November thru Feb, I get to enjoy a light-free dash.

I've been living with these lights for a couple of years. I also have a 'check engine' light that goes along with it. An odd thing is that it goes away in the winter so from November thru Feb, I get to enjoy a light-free dash.
I had a issue with my doors locking involuntarily and went thru painstaking troubleshooting to resolve it. In the end, it was corrosion with the connectors to the home computer. So I think I will start checking the connections related to the Sensors and look for that wonderful seafoam green corrosion that loves to occupy the connections. This rig prior to me owning it did a number of fordings of water that were fairly deep, and consequently I am having to remedy the fallout from that now. But all in all this rig has been amazing and like a good Whiskey, will only get better with age.

I had a issue with my doors locking involuntarily and went thru painstaking troubleshooting to resolve it. In the end, it was corrosion with the connectors to the home computer. So I think I will start checking the connections related to the Sensors and look for that wonderful seafoam green corrosion that loves to occupy the connections. This rig prior to me owning it did a number of fordings of water that were fairly deep, and consequently I am having to remedy the fallout from that now. But all in all this rig has been amazing and like a good Whiskey, will only get better with age.
My Door lock issue only happened in warm weather, in the winter everything behaved as normal. I am betting we are fighting a corrosion issue in the electrical connections.

I had this problem on my latest trip to Baja, just pre Covid March 10 to 22. It had rained a lot and there were lots of big puddles. Whenever I would go through a big puddle fast, the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights would come on. The manual says get serviced, but we were able to clear them with an OBDC reader. Though they come back on quickly. A few hours of drying out, and the lights went off on their own.

This is not to say you shouldn't worry. On my latest trip out last weekend, I had the unpleasant experience of the Center Diff getting stuck in the LOCKED position when I was 200 miles from home. When locked, the center diff usually makes the VSC OFF light come on, but I was again experiencing both lights. And there were only small slow water crossings as my wifely copilot was doing the driving. Now that I think of this, my current issue might be explained by the earlier issue. Bad connections in the wiring... Those salt flats had some briny water that could have messed up the connections pretty bad.

Anyway, our field fix was to leave the diff locked and just remove the front driveshaft. We got home safe, with only one unplanned night in the bush.

And I must say, I think the LC100 is much more pleasant to drive on roads as a 2WD vehicle.

I had this problem on my latest trip to Baja, just pre Covid March 10 to 22. It had rained a lot and there were lots of big puddles. Whenever I would go through a big puddle fast, the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights would come on. The manual says get serviced, but we were able to clear them with an OBDC reader. Though they come back on quickly. A few hours of drying out, and the lights went off on their own.

This is not to say you shouldn't worry. On my latest trip out last weekend, I had the unpleasant experience of the Center Diff getting stuck in the LOCKED position when I was 200 miles from home. When locked, the center diff usually makes the VSC OFF light come on, but I was again experiencing both lights. And there were only small slow water crossings as my wifely copilot was doing the driving. Now that I think of this, my current issue might be explained by the earlier issue. Bad connections in the wiring... Those salt flats had some briny water that could have messed up the connections pretty bad.

Anyway, our field fix was to leave the diff locked and just remove the front driveshaft. We got home safe, with only one unplanned night in the bush.

And I must say, I think the LC100 is much more pleasant to drive on roads as a 2WD vehicle.
I see a part-time kit with lockout hubs in your future 🤑

Techstream will reveal any DTC’s pending or current in the VSC/Trac/BA ECU- Certain DTC wont be recognized by Scanguage or similar readers. Suggest trying TIS to help you narrow down the issue- you can live test many switches, solenoids, etc to eliminate some guesswork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom