Vibrations at certain speed under load?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jun 27, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
36
Location
Canada
Hello everyone! I've got an 86 HJ60 that has an annoying vibration.

Whenever I get up to 60kmph (on the speedometer with 33s) I get a pretty noticeable vibration. It feels like the torque converter locks up right at 60 and then I feel the vibes. It almost sounds like a whir whir whir sound. When I get up to speed around 75 to 80 the sound and vibrations dissappear completely. And if I shift to 3rd the vibration also goes away. Its seems like it only comes on under load as well because if I left off the gas it goes away.

I previously thought it was the torque converter because i used to get a bad shudder around lockup speed, so I replaced it with another used transmission that was apparently rebuilt recently but no change the vibration is still there but the shudder disappeared.

Ive also swapped both front and rear diffs to see if there would be a change but again no difference.

Ive also replaced the ujoints in the driveshaft with no difference except maybe I dont feel it as much in the driver's seat? Its hard to say though.

Anyone have any ideas of where I should look next?
 
Has it been lifted? Maybe the rear driveshaft angles are off calling for shimming the rear springs.
I was thinking that too. It has an old tired OME lift on it. Theyre starting to flatten out a bit it looks like. The angles on the flanges on the transfer case and differential seem to be correct.

I had a running theory in my mind that the leafs and bushings are worn to the point that I get a bit of axle wrap when the torque converter locks up thus changing the pinion angle enough to cause a vibration? Not sure if thats a possibility.
 
Share pics of truck from side to look at “lift”, share under carriage pics of rear drive shaft with connection to transfer case and rear differential.

Obvious Qs
1) if you get under truck and try rotate drive shaft any play?
2) unjoints and slip joints greased?
3) does whir whir frequency change with speed?
4) is rear drive shaft in phase?
 
Share pics of truck from side to look at “lift”, share under carriage pics of rear drive shaft with connection to transfer case and rear differential.

Obvious Qs
1) if you get under truck and try rotate drive shaft any play?
2) unjoints and slip joints greased?
3) does whir whir frequency change with speed?
4) is rear drive shaft in phase?

20260716_171043.webp


20260716_171057.webp


20260716_171106.webp


20260716_171113.webp


20260716_171129.webp
 
Share pics of truck from side to look at “lift”, share under carriage pics of rear drive shaft with connection to transfer case and rear differential.

Obvious Qs
1) if you get under truck and try rotate drive shaft any play?
2) unjoints and slip joints greased?
3) does whir whir frequency change with speed?
4) is rear drive shaft in phase?
1. No play in driveshaft
2. Ujoints recently changed and greased and slip joint greased.
3. Doesn't seem to be a change in frequency.
4. Driveshaft is in phase.

20260716_171132.webp


20260716_171138.webp


20260716_171140.webp
 
I was thinking that too. It has an old tired OME lift on it. Theyre starting to flatten out a bit it looks like. The angles on the flanges on the transfer case and differential seem to be correct.

I had a running theory in my mind that the leafs and bushings are worn to the point that I get a bit of axle wrap when the torque converter locks up thus changing the pinion angle enough to cause a vibration? Not sure if thats a possibility.
Not a terrible theory... and consider your engine & trans mounts too. If they're worn out, your output pinion angle could be affected. Trans mount could slump down over time. Rather than guessing, remove your rear driveshaft and use a level to measure and compare the flange angles - there are free phone apps that will get you in the ballpark well enough to see if there's an actual issue or not. Xfer case & rear pinion should be parallel to each other (or as close as possible).

1784248816904.webp
 
Not a terrible theory... and consider your engine & trans mounts too. If they're worn out, your output pinion angle could be affected. Trans mount could slump down over time. Rather than guessing, remove your rear driveshaft and use a level to measure and compare the flange angles - there are free phone apps that will get you in the ballpark well enough to see if there's an actual issue or not. Xfer case & rear pinion should be parallel to each other (or as close as possible).

View attachment 4177897
Yeah nice ill take a look at that.

I find it odd that it only happens between 60-75ish and not at any speed. You'd think you'd hear it through all different speeds.
 
Isolate issue.

Remove rear DS, lock front hubs put it in 4Hi. Drive truck with front driveshaft. Does the sound go away?
 
Isolate issue.

Remove rear DS, lock front hubs put it in 4Hi. Drive truck with front driveshaft. Does the sound go away?
Ive been meaning to try that. 4Hi with a spartan locker in the front going 60 on the highway makes me nervous for some reason lol, I think im just being a baby lol.

I think its definitely the next step to try and isolate this vibration.
 
Since you swapped 3rd members, what remains is rear drive shaft, transfer case and transmission. Typically transfer case and transmission vibes have a broader rpm range where vibs persist. Easiest next thing is to take your rear drive shaft to a shop and have it gone through. If symptoms persist, then it’s the bigger items.
 
Yea good call I reckon ill take the driveshaft to a shop and see if its balanced.

I measured flange angles with a digital angle gauge and they were about 2 degrees out from one another. The transmission flange seems to be pointing down more than the diff flange, and the diff flange is right about level at 90 degrees.

I put a jacket underneath the transfer case and noticed the passenger side transmission mount squashed down when I release the jack and starts to form back into proper shape when I start to lift with the jack. I also noticed engine mounts may be a bit worn? Revving the engine while in drive and foot on the brake the driver side of the engine lifts up a bit.
Not sure if this all sounds normal or not.

Could worn transmission/ engine mounts be a source of the vibes as well?
 
Yea good call I reckon ill take the driveshaft to a shop and see if its balanced.

I measured flange angles with a digital angle gauge and they were about 2 degrees out from one another. The transmission flange seems to be pointing down more than the diff flange, and the diff flange is right about level at 90 degrees.

I put a jacket underneath the transfer case and noticed the passenger side transmission mount squashed down when I release the jack and starts to form back into proper shape when I start to lift with the jack. I also noticed engine mounts may be a bit worn? Revving the engine while in drive and foot on the brake the driver side of the engine lifts up a bit.
Not sure if this all sounds normal or not.

Could worn transmission/ engine mounts be a source of the vibes as well?
If they have not been replaced, it is possible. Engine can shift up slightly, normal. If its excessive it can also squash the transmission mount.
 
Back
Top Bottom