Used Oil Analysis-Mobil 1 0w-40 Unreal!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are my thoughts on Doug's vs. My Oil Analysis:

1) Both of them are excellent. Given Dougs numbers, it appears there is no issue with running 30 weight oil in the LC.

2) The lower iron number in my analysis is probably directly attributable to the heavier oil. However, even given Dougs 10ppm of Iron, it is very low compared to the average GM or Jeep motor.

3) Doug's iron numbers may also be slightly elevated from the high fuel level from driving in town.

Cary

Cary,

Thanks! I appreciate the added analysis comments. This oil interval was indeed characterized by strictly in town trips - kind of unusual for us. In addition, it's winter up here and perhaps the cold starts put more wear particles into the oil, though I don't know where your truck is located. I currently have 0-40 M1 in the sump and there appear to be no consumption issues despite 1500 high speed (75-85) and another 500 in town miles.

Doug

TBN= Total Base Number. What it tells you is how much of the additive package is left in an oil. You want the number to be at least 1 (at least with blackstone's tests). You generally don't test it every time, only to establish how long you can use an oil (i.e. if the number is at 4 still, you can push the oil further).

Cary

Someone said that Jon Deere does oil tests.
If so, there is one in town, would they give me the same report that Blackstone does? Would they JD test a gas motor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom