1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Oil Analysis-Mobil 1 0w-40 Unreal!!!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cary, Feb 10, 2004.

1. cary

cary

I hope this posts, but I got back my first UOA from Blackstone labs and wear numbers are lowest I have seen.

Mobil 1 0w-40
    Mi/Hr on oil - 5,481
    Mi/Hr on unit - 121,981
    Sample date - 11/26/03

Aluminum - 2
    Chromium - 0
    Iron - 4
    Copper - 2
    Lead - 0
    Tin - 1
    Molybdenum - 62
    Nickel - 1
    Manganese - 0
    Silver - 0
    Titanium - 0
    Potassium -
    Boron - 94
    Silicon - 10
    Sodium - 6
    Calcium - 2618
    Magnesium - 26
    Phosphorus - 638
    Zinc - 840
    Barium - 0

Sus Vis@210 - 72.4
    Flashpoint - 400
    Fuel % - <0.5
    Antifreeze % - 0%
    Water % - 0%
    Insolubles % - 0.3%

TBN - 4.0

Writeup by Blackstone:

In the 5,481 miles you have had this oil in use, you've generated so little wear from this oil it is hard to do a reliable oil analysis. Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after about 4,785 miles run on the oil. you oil was longer and we found all wear from the engine at around average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration look okay. This was a 0w/40 engine oil with no gas, moisture or anti-freeze in it. The TBN was 4.0, easily adequate. Try 6,000 miles next sample.

My comments: This is a 1996 Toyota Lancruiser with a 4.5l inline 6 motor. It sees many short trips (less than 2 miles) as well as regular full throttle use. Oil filter is what is called the good small japanese toyota filter, air filter is a Purolater from Pep Boys. Also, this engine has what is called the "startup rattle" commonly thought to be the timing chain tensioner loosing oil overnight. Obviously it isn't hurting. The report took so long because the sample was lost in the mail and then showed up back in my mailbox 2 weeks ago. I then resent it.

Obviously, I will be sticking with this oil, the engine obviously loves it.

Cary

2. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Dang-that looks great from what little I know about oil analysis. Only 4 parts iron with that huge iron block. Your engine should have many years of life ahead of it. Out of curiousity, and not to restart the headgasket thread, but is your headgasket original?

I might have to rethink my 15w-50.

3. Safado

Safado

Beauty! Thanks for the post! :cheers: :cheers:

4. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Do you have any data to show what the levels of the various elements would be in a sample of brand new oil?

5. RavenTai

RavenTai

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=11351;start=msg103109#msg103109 date=1076484291]
    Do you have any data to show what the levels of the various elements would be in a sample of brand new oil?
    [/quote]

diffrent lab so results are not directly comparable but loosely

Code:
    Copper:         2
    Iron:           3
    Chrome:         0
    Lead:           2
    Aluminum:       6
    Silicon:        3
    Molybdenum:    73
    Sodium:        15
    Calcium:     2813
    Tin:            0
    Potassium:     10
    Magnesium:      5
    Zinc:         903
    Water:   Negative
    Viscosity:   14.9

taken from http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000087

6. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

I switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 on my last oil change - keeping my finger's crossed she doesn't start leaking. This report makes me feel like I made the right choice - I'm at 140k with the original head gasket.

7. cary

cary

I should have posted the Blackstone averages for this type of motor which are:

Aluminum - 3
    Chromium - 0
    Iron - 9
    Copper - 4
    Lead - 3
    Tin - 1

This engine is obviously well designed and very easy on oil. It would be great to see someone using mineral oil do a UOA at 5000 miles to see the numbers. After seeing the numbers, I feel quite comfortable saying go 5000 miles on Mineral and 7500+ on synthetic. I will be stretching the next interval to 8,000 miles.

To the above question, I do not believe the head gasket has been replaced. I bought the truck used through a voluntary repo (original owner had leased since new, bought from lease and then got in financial trouble and turned the truck into the credit union) so I never met the original owner. It appeared to have all the records in the glove box and they did not include a head gaskett replacement (but did have birfield repack at 90k).

After seeing this report, I would reiterate my recommendation of M1 0w-40 as an oil you can run in any conditions. I ran this oil in 105F temps at sustained speeds of 90-100mph with no problems or increase in wear. I don't believe there would have been any benifit to a 50 weight oil even in these conditions (see my previous post concerning changing German Standards), and obviously, for cold weather, you can't beat a 0w oil.

Cary

8. Tank

Tank

Great info Cary!

I too would like to see the numbers for mineral oil. Now if I can get Walmart to buy the big jugs of the 0w-40!!!!! Your daily drive is exactly like mine so this helps a bunch.

Mark

9. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Excellent Cary, thanks for all the thought and research you put towards lubrication, I appreciate it. As you remember, after reading the advice you provided, I switched to 0w40 and love it, although I have not had a chance to do any oil analysis yet. Seeing the stats on your oil is really amazing. BTW what is the cost with the lab you use for analysis? Thanks again.

10. Shortbus

Shortbus

Thanks Cary,

Great info. Can't believe the numbers, that's excellent. I drive a ton, and it'll help to stretch out the oil changes a bit. :cheers:

11. cary

cary

I paid $30 for the Analysis from Blackstone. The base analysis is $20, but I also wanted TBN to see about stretching the interval out. With a TBN of 4.0 this oil can easily go much further. I would expect for people who drive many longer trips that 10,000 mile intervals would be fine with this oil.

Cary

12. Beowulf

Beowulf

Cary,
    I used M1 0w40 over the late summer and fall and found my consumption increased dramatically. All the oil changes since I've owned the truck have been with M1 (10w30 & 5w30) with the OEM Toyota filter. Approx 8 oil changes and never more than 1qt to 1.5qt between changes. Many times the level had not reached the add mark before time to change the oil.

The PO used Castrol full syn 10w30 (documented) from the first oil change until I bought the truck.

When the 0w40 was used my consumption went to 3+ quarts during the 5,000 miles. It's now running 5 qts of 10w30 with 3 qts of 0w40 (I had 8 qts left in my stash) and the consumption appears to be back to normal (approx 1k miles, still at full mark.)

I can't attribute the increase in consumption to driving conditions or anything else. As I recall, it was a typical 5,000 mile driving cycle since I've owned the truck.

Any comments?

-B-

13. Safado

Safado

So how far you going to stretch it before the next exam? All the way to 10,000 seems risky to me, but then again, you seem to follow this quite a bit.

14. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Just run 15k miles, change the filter at least one (2 would be btter) time and top up the oil. I have run some cars waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond 15k on the same synthetic oil in an attempt to kill the engine.... 60k miles.... the engine would not die, tranny finally gave it up.

15. cary

cary

Consumption:

For some reason, some of the Landcruisers do not like the 0w-40 and eat it up. Mine only burned 1/2 quart in 5000 miles. Some people have had better luck with Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40. You may also want to try the new Mobil 1 5w-40 SUV Synthetic which is simply repackaged Mobil Delvac 1. Otherwise stick with the 5w-30 and mix it with two quarts of 15w-50 for summer/warm weather use.

Change Interval:

I am going to try a 7500-8000 mile interval. I would push 10,000 but my Wife drives the LC a great deal on 1-5 mile trips. It does not see many 20+ mile trips.

Pushing the oil to 15,000 probably would not harm anything, but I would not do so without doing analysis. What happens is the wear numbers will stay low until the additive package is used up and then the they will start to spike. It is hard to predict this point and it varies depending on oil, driving style, weather, etc..

Cary

16. landtoy80

landtoy80

-B- Do you rev the rpms up there?
    I had major oil consumption at high rpms with the M1 10w30 and 0w30
    I am 521 mi in to RotellaT syn 5w40 and only 1/16" down on the dipstick, thats with a seeping oil pan gasket. I have been hard on the throttle to see if I can make it consume like the evil M1

17. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> -B- Do you rev the rpms up there? <<

Kurt,
    No, I very seldom run it at WOT. My wife says I drive like an old Grandma.

A couple of weeks ago our local club went on a snow run and I was at very high RPMs for extended periods. Sometimes for 5 or 10 minutes before I would get stuck in the snow again. I had the 10w30 "mix" in the engine that weekend and there was no sign of consumption.

My truck doesn't leak (knock on wood.)

-B-

18. Dan_J-spec_fj62

Dan_J-spec_fj62

Hello all.....

i've been reading these oil posts for awhile now.... and i went with the 0w-40w mobile 1. and i also went with the mobile 1 filter .... what are your feelings on this filter????

thanks

dan

19. RavenTai

RavenTai

[quote author=Dan_J-spec_fj62 link=board=2;threadid=11351;start=msg103568#msg103568 date=1076555772]
    Hello all.....

i've been reading these oil posts for awhile now.... and i went with the 0w-40w mobile 1. and i also went with the mobile 1 filter .... what are your feelings on this filter????

thanks

dan
    [/quote]

the Mobil 1 filter like many others is made by champion labs, they also make K&N's, walmart supertech, the high end acdelco's and many others, thay all share a quality construction but with diffrent specs for base plate thickness and media type and ammount,The M1 has a very thick paper media and a lot of it, I cut up several filters for my chevy and the M1 had the most paer in it, there are two schools of though on that, some say the thick media is good at removing particles and there is some evidence of this, others say the thick media is two restrictive causeing the oil filter bypass vale to open sooner and close later allowing more unfiltered oil into the system who is right probably depends of oild temp flow rate and viscosity used

I think they are too expensive for the marginal gains in filtration, I can get a good flowing main filter and an elemnt for a bypass filter for the cost of the M1

20. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

Wonder how many of you have used Mobil1 on your cruiser from the 1st oil change? I only used Mobil1 and Toyota oil filter on my '98 UZJ100 from the day I bought it brand new now it has 95K miles.

My first car: a brand new '85 Honda Civic that I only used Mobil1 on, still on the road with more than 300K miles...

/td