Upgrading the Sound System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let’s start with the basics. I own a 1997 FJZ80 40th anniversary edition and looking into this for quite a while. I want to upgrade the whole sound system. I bought an alpine stereo as well as an amp bypass as I don’t think I really need a completely separate amp. I will be installing that myself. I went in to a local car audio place and they very strongly recommended against anything pioneer just because they are cheap, would wear out very quickly and basically told me they wouldn’t install the speakers for me even if I bought them. I’m worried replacing the speakers myself will be a disaster and I will break some of the door panel as I probably don’t have all the right tools. I haven’t really found more speakers other than the pioneers that sound like they would fit the front and rear door panels because I want to keep the original covers. Crutchfield doesn’t have all the info to recommend speakers that fit. I know that I need 6.5 and 4 for front/rear but am obviously worried about the depth as I have seen some people add spacers to it so it fits and even the speakers that I have seen that fit usually rub against the window run. I haven’t looked into replacing any of the tweeters. Do I need to replace the tweeters? I have seen that whole hog or something has good replacement frames for sub. Do I need to replace the sub? If I do replace all the speakers myself do I need to take off the door panels to replace them? Anyone have any detailed instruction on how to physically replace the speakers in case this is needed?

Thank you for any advice in advance!

There are a bunch of threads on this, if you do some searching, but I’ll add a few comments.

First, if you’re talking about replacing speakers, I strongly recommend getting an Alpine KTP-445A. It’s a tiny little amp that packs a 45x4 *RMS* punch. No onboard head unit amp puts that out, AFAIK. I shoved mine in the dash behind my head unit. Works beautifully.

For front speakers, I have a pair of Focal ISC165 w/1/8” spacers. Very accurate, but a bit bright. A bit of EQ work fixed that right up. The rear door speakers are the pioneers that are common on mud and drop in. They’re fine.

As far as the sub goes, I put a Rockford PS-8 under the driver’s seat. Fits perfectly, but sticks out the back a little if you’re short (I’m 5’7”)

Overall, the system is plenty loud to hear at highway speeds with the windows down, and sounds really good.

Building out a 12” sub box with a dedicated amp and installing separates F/R would make the system amazing, but I wasn’t willing to go to that much trouble. This gets me 90% of the way there.

There’s threads on this.

Morel Nanos for the front door. Easy fit, sound great. Crutchfield has them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom