Updated Bluetooth Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

First off, yes, I've searched, I've read, I've learned. Don't be a "search nazi" :)

Many posts are old. I'm wondering, as technology has changed, if there is a better/best bluetooth audio streaming option out there?

So far the clubhouse leader seems to be the USA SPEC BT-45TOY, mounted behind the left vent.

Also some pros and cons of the VAIS (no exact model?) product, with some silliness about using the cassette deck.

What about a CD changer replacement unit that fits in that spot? No one uses CDs anymore (fine - at least I don't). Is there an option that essentially removes the changer and puts a unit in there?

- OR - should I just go with the BT-45TOY basic install and call it a day?

Thanks!

I use the VAIS SL3b-L in both a 04 LX470 and an 04 LS430. The LX it's behind the left AC vent beside the radio. I highly recommend them. No idea what you're referring to about the cassette deck. Phone calls work via stock integration, music goes across the VAIS. Works flawless.

No reason to remove the CD Changer unless you want to put something else there. The VAIS unit is small and the cable isn't long enough to go in the console...nor is it worth the effort to put it there.

PO put something in my 07LC, it works fine, but not as nice as the VAIS.

You don't mention year, LX/LC, Nav/no-Nav, factory bluetooth calling or not, which might affect your choices.

The 4 choices that I am aware of are:

USA Spec BT45-Toy ~$230
BT45-TOY
Adds Blutooth calling and streaming audio.

Grom BT3 ~$135
https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/select_toyota_lexus_98-05_aux-in_mp3_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter.html
Adds Blutooth calling and streaming audio.

VAIS SL3B ~$230
Bluetooth Add-On Stereo Adapter Kits | VAIS Technology
Adds streaming audio & "I Agree" bypass (Does not add bluetooth calling)

Grom VLINE ~$435
GROM VLine Infotainment System for Maps and Aps
Adds Android applications as well as Bluetooth streaming. The most full featured, expensive, largest physical box, and least mature option.​

All of which are very well covered in other threads on this forum. If I am not mistaken all are intended to plug into the back of the OEM headunit and emulate a MD/CD changer. You might be able to find a way to install at the CD/DVD changer, but I suspect that it might require some creativity on your part. I own both the VAIS SL3B and the Grom VLine.

^^ 2006 Grey LC in his signature, which means factory bluetooth calling and more than likely Nav (unless you're lucky enough to find a non-Nav unit unicorn).

Unless of course he's looking at it for another vehicle.

I choose VAIS because it seemed like the best at the time for the LX, then I used it again for the LS because I was familiar with how it worked.

Good point @jLB. It’s a 2006 LC with Nav and Bluetooth calling.

Imo the built in Bluetooth calling sucks so I’d rather replace it.

I suppose they are well covered, just hard for a first timer to choose.

Good point @jLB. It’s a 2006 LC with Nav and Bluetooth calling.

Imo the built in Bluetooth calling sucks so I’d rather replace it.

I suppose they are well covered, just hard for a first timer to choose.

As a 06 LX owner, I agree that the OEM bluetooth calling sucks. While the user interface of the aftermarket bluetooth calling options that I've tried, have been light years ahead of the OEM system, the sound quality (read echo on far end) has been awful compared to the OEM system.

Does the BT-45TOY allow for me to not use the bluetooth calling feature? So I can try it, and if I want to revert back to OEM I can do that?

Does the BT-45TOY allow for me to not use the bluetooth calling feature? So I can try it, and if I want to revert back to OEM I can do that?
Not that I'm aware of, but that might also be a limitation of the Bluetooth on your phone as well, being able to connect to two devices at the same time.

I've had the bt45 installed in many cars and i haven't had an issue with call quality

Grom VLINE ~$435
GROM VLine Infotainment System for Maps and Aps
Adds Android applications as well as Bluetooth streaming. The most full featured, expensive, largest physical box, and least mature option.​

Well, thanks to this post, I’m am going to upgrade from my BT45-TOY to a Grom VLINE (ordered!). Don’t get me wrong, the BT45-TOY works flawlessly. It does everything I need it to. But, I can have Android Nav, HDMI input, two USB (instead of just one), and retain factory Nav? And there is potential for additional upgrades (Like OBD2 integration)? Hell yeah! (Note: I use the factory Nav a lot. It still works very well, and I like having it for situations where there is no cell signal.)

In response to the OP’s question: It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want Aux input, USB power, and Bluetooth audio streaming/phone calls, the BT45-TOY is great. It really does integrate well. You can skip tracks ahead and back, answer calls, hang up, all from the steering wheel. It has a USB port (for charging only) and AUX input. It does feel like factory. The one thing that I don’t like about it: you can only have one connected BT device.

The CD changer, don’t forget, is also a DVD changer. I have mine fully loaded up with entertaining TV shows or movies. Nothing is more frustrating on a road trip than having no cellular access and ability to stream things (for kids it’s even worse). Streaming services only work when you have a good connection, and even then can be unreliable, especially when you really need it.

Last edited:
Please keep us updated with how you like it. There was a thread about this a year or two ago but it died out with some reporting problems but with grom supplying regular updates.
I'd like to know how it's progressed.

Well, thanks to this post, I’m am going to upgrade from my BT45-TOY to a Grom VLINE (ordered!). Don’t get me wrong, the BT45-TOY works flawlessly. It does everything I need it to. But, I can have Android Nav, HDMI input, two USB (instead of just one), and retain factory Nav? And there is potential for additional upgrades (Like OBD2 integration)? Hell yeah! (Note: I use the factory Nav a lot. It still works very well, and I like having it for situations where there is no cell signal.)

"DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER"

I have had the Grom VLine installed in my 2006 LX since its pre-release. I enjoy having it it my car and would not remove it, unless there was a better alternative ( like maybe a better done version of Lexus/Toyota Factory Navigation to 10" screen upgrade ) that offered similar features. It is nowhere near OEM quality. The device is a little quirky/flakey. The screen is still the OEM low resolution screen. The CPU/RAM is slow/low compared to other similar products. It is pricey compared to other similar products. Grom still doesn't show a VL2 model for our application. Even with all of that, the unit allows modern features in our outdated Nav system, that once you get used to, it would be hard to do without.

I would suggest that anyone considering a VLine read through these threads before ordering:

anyone getting the grom vline? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration

My experience with the Grom VLine, led me to install an Android head unit in my son's non-nav 2000 TLC. The $250 Android head unit in my son's vehicle is leaps and bounds better than the VLine, but then again it wouldn't fit in my vehicle without substantial additional work. The VLine install is about the same as any of the other bluetooth options.

Well, crap. I’ve read through these posts now. Thanks for sharing the links. I should not be so impulsive. I’ve emailed Grom to cancel my order. Hopefully they will just cancel it before shipping Monday morning. I’m satisfied with the BT45-TOY, after all, and the factory Nav.

"DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER"

Well, crap. I’ve read through these posts now. Thanks for sharing the links. I should not be so impulsive. I’ve emailed Grom to cancel my order. Hopefully they will just cancel it before shipping Monday morning. I’m satisfied with the BT45-TOY, after all, and the factory Nav.

I’m not saying unequivocally “don’t buy”, I just think you should be aware of what you’re getting for your money. If you expecting an OEM quality experience, you’re going to be disappointed. If you don’t mind a little fiddling, it has some pretty cool features.

Oh, I hear ya. It’s $435 I can spend on something else for the truck. Really, the BT45-TOY with factory Nav is all I need. This morning it really was an impulse purchase when I saw this post. I’ve had substandard Android in-dash (I know this is not a head-unit) units in the past, and I should know better.

The factory Nav has bailed me out on several occasions I’ve take my family on impromptu “expeditions”.

I’m not saying unequivocally “don’t buy”, I just think you should be aware of what you’re getting for your money. If you expecting an OEM quality experience, you’re going to be disappointed. If you don’t mind a little fiddling, it has some pretty cool features.

Thanks all! I think this thread made my decision on going BT-45. I think that meets my needs best at this time. Thanks for the feedback!

Android users, in the devices bluetooth settings you can set the BT-45 to handle media audio only. So you can use the OEM heads-free calling.

Old thread, I know, but I think this will be valuable for people that search.

I went back and forth on the Vias vs USA Spec but now that the BT-45 is $100 cheaper on Amazon it's an easy call.

Apologies for the bump, but I’m curious if anyone has pursued the Grom Vline VL2? There’s lots of coverage on the VL1, would love to hear if anyone is loving the VL2.

I have a 2003 LC with Nav, and i’m looking to avoid the whole center stack replacement. Seems like this is a much cheaper option, and i’m less likely to f it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom