Update- Thoughts and Information on Headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

<<<<<"But how would you like it if you ordered something, lets say a Hella bulb(or 4 of them), turns out the guys you ordered from arn't even the ones that sell em, then you get em and they are some off brand crap, then the jerks try to tell you "well if you wanted the Hella's you need to ordered this part #" yeah that the way its works..........NOT!">>>>>>>

I agree completely, It's just that it is a long climb up the ladder to scrape you off of the ceiling and I don't like heights :flipoff2:

don't worry about me............I take my agrivation out on Ih8mud......that and busting off a few rounds helps. I am actaully very mellow and low stress.

but thank for caring :flipoff2:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg107549#msg107549 date=1077238447]
<<<<<"But how would you like it if you ordered something, lets say a Hella bulb(or 4 of them), turns out the guys you ordered from arn't even the ones that sell em, then you get em and they are some off brand crap, then the jerks try to tell you "well if you wanted the Hella's you need to ordered this part #" yeah that the way its works..........NOT!">>>>>>>

I agree completely, It's just that it is a long climb up the ladder to scrape you off of the ceiling and I don't like heights :flipoff2:

[/quote]

John,

Do an archive search in Chat with keyword=Bombay :D

A little self-medication won't hurt.
-B-

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg107578#msg107578 date=1077243681]
don't worry about me............I take my agrivation out on Ih8mud......
but thank for caring :flipoff2:[/quote]

Gee Pimp, I don't know anyone else like that at all. :flipoff2: :D Seriously, you are one person I never worry about; maybe that's cause I know you live on the other coast and it would take you too long to get here. :D

[quote author=LINUS link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg106537#msg106537 date=1077072643]
Cary-

Glad you read my warning on Jung - he's pushed a lot of sets of crap HIDS on people over in the VW forums.

Sorry I never got back to you on a good source for HID kits (besides Mr. Jung's craptastic kits), but if you still want to go that way I've got a buddy in Europe with some kits, but they are BIG $$$ ( $700 shipped to U.S. - ouch!)

I tried to get interest in factory E-codes (H4 dual filament with a H1 hi-beam) a few times, but nobody seems to want to foot ~$550 for a set it seems.

SHAMELESS WANT AD (yes, ya'all read it before)

I NEED A PAIR OF DEAD 80's HEADLIGHT BUCKETS - shattered glass is great.

I have a ~$300 solution (and some labor) that should be about like E-codes, maybe better if build quality turns out better than expected. I'd be willing to share all info after the buildup, but I need a set to work with to get it all rolling.
Anybody?

[/quote]

$550 is pretty cheap for e-codes for the 80. Is that the four rectangular headlamp setup used overseas? I've seen the conversion kits in the LC books in Japan, but they cost $1K. Those rectangular lamps look like standard H4's. IMHO, the reflector/lens is key to light output. If your reflectors suck, even if you use HIR bulbs, light still sprays all over the place. I guess that's one nice thing about older rigs and the still-made 70 series...you can easily upgrade the stock round/rectangular H4's to e-codes, nd need not worry about spending large sums of cash on replacement lenses if broken by a rock.

Actually, I like the stock 80's beam pattern. It doesn't have a sharp cutoff on low beam like an E code, but the pattern is well thought out with minimum extraneous light and no hot spots. If some of you are in disagreement, you might consider checking to see if your bulbs don't have the filamant in EXACTLY the right spot. I routinely compare new bulbs to the original bulbs that came in my 80 and have found them different several times - returning them each time. Only a hairsbreadth variance here will dramatically alter the beam pattern (it's either in the lense's focal point, or it's not). From the above discussion, even Hella vendors can be guilty of this. The best protection is really to check them yourself before putting them in. If you don't have the originals, you might ask Cdan if there's a factory bulb source to buy them from.

DougM

I don't drink........

and yeah I am starting to feel like Junk, maybe his atitude jumped into me when he became a mod....... ::)

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg107624#msg107624 date=1077248610]
John,

Do an archive search in Chat with keyword=Bombay :D

A little self-medication won't hurt.
-B-
[/quote]

Does anyone have a John Deere part # for the high beams ?

So I put the HIR bulbs in my Wife's BMW and they make a great upgrade. There is no question they are a big upgrade, on the way home tonight I had my mother in law in the car and she asked why the lights in my Wife's car are so much better than her BMW.

Also, Doug is correct, that for a US spec lamp, the LC pattern is very good. I am going to get another pair of the HIR bulbs for the LC for the sole reason that Doug mentioned which is correct alignment (this is the reason that Hella stopped buying the bulbs in Korea, because they were up to 1/4" out of alignment, I had to bend one of mine to get it even close). I am willing to give up 300 lumens for proper alignment and reliability.

Cary

Two cruisers, 6 headlight bulbs, replacing one about every other week. All have been Korean made Hella's. My wife was joking that I replace the bulbs more often than filling the gas tank.

Glad (sortof) to hear it's not just me...

Nearest John Deere dealer is 40 miles away.

Thanks to all for the great info.

The Narva's arrived today. They're a xenon 55w low beam. Drove it around for 10 minutes and they do seem noticeably brighter than the stock 55w lights. But it bugged me that they also seemed, well - something was also better even than the short lived Hella 80w bulbs they replaced. So, when I got home, I took a closer look at the filament placement of the blown 80w Hella I had left and found it nearly 2mm too shallow (closer to the reflector). Can't believe I missed this when I compared them before originally installing them as is my habit. Anyhow, that's what I was seeing on the road - the much better beam pattern of a properly placed filament. Are they 30% better output than a stock 55w? Hard to tell, but I could easily see they were brighter. Also, they're just a *bit* whiter than regular halogens - not blue at all.

DougM

After getting frustrated with the whole Hella bulb thing, I decided to go with the HIR's. Living in the middle of farm country with about 4 John Deere dealerships within 20 miles, I was able to round up two HIR2's on my lunch today for the price of $25 each, ground the nub down with a little dremel and had them in well within an hour. Even left myself enough time to eat a couple of tacos I picked up along the way.

I just put in the Slee harness 1 1/2 weeks ago which made an substantial improvement over the 9 year old stock wiring. I believe, but I'm not sure, I still had the stock bulbs. Hell, I just replaced the stock battery with a yellow top the same time I did the wiring harness.

As much of a difference the wiring harness made, the new lights made at least twice as much. Nice, white light without being some obnoxious blue. Perfect filament placement; a clearly deliniated horizontal light cut-off keeps the glare out of other mororists' eyes, and the road stripes shine like never before. The light produced appears brighter than the light my still stock 65W highbeams make when I switch them back and forth, which goes along with the theoretical lumen productivity that Cary posted earlier in this thread.

Definately worth it.

As a side note, I checked both at the John Deere dealerships and online via e-mail. There is no HIR1 high-beam bulb available through them. IPF through Slee or whatever brand of HIR's it is Daniel Stern carries are the way to go on those. Not sure if brand really matters as I believe GE is the bulb manufacturer no matter what it says on the box, John Deere included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom