Update- Thoughts and Information on Headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the link on the Narva's. I have read they are supposed to be the best of the standard wattage bulbs. I received the HIR bulbs this morning and will be trying them.

Cary

[quote author=Eduardo96FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg106972#msg106972 date=1077140396]
I have one question ; Has anybody had a problem from "Johnny Law" from this upgrade??
[/quote]

Not yet with mine. They're aimed just about right not to piss off the local Gestapo. The high's might be another story, but so far so good.

[quote author=Eduardo96FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg106972#msg106972 date=1077140396]
I have one question ; Has anybody had a problem from "Johnny Law" from this upgrade??
[/quote]

This seems to be an old wifes tale. I used to run E-code lamps when all other cars were running sealed beams and never was cited for having them. Unless you have your lights really misadjusted, I would never expect a problem.

Cary

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg107031#msg107031 date=1077149691]
This seems to be an old wifes tale. I used to run E-code lamps when all other cars were running sealed beams and never was cited for having them. Unless you have your lights really misadjusted, I would never expect a problem.

Cary
[/quote]

I've been pulled over for headlights.... but that was 25 years ago, and it was fashionable to pull over young punks. Hell, I woulda done it!

Oh yeah... and they really were a set of flamethowers. :D At least in their time.

Got pulled over at 3 am in Montana once. Had 505 watts on and he was over a mile away when I dimmed. Got him curious, so he pulled us over - wife and kids were asleep. His point was there are a lot of old people in his county. My point was their was nobody else on the road (literally not a car in 20 minutes or so), and that I'm always courteous on dimming as he saw. He finally relented and I drove on. Agree that this is a rare occurance though I suspect the 'annoying blue light' craze and factory HID lights are taking the pressure off us guys with simple upgrade normal light users.

DougM

Okay, so I checked out the HIR bulbs last night. I used an 80 watt in one light as a reference and swapped between the HIR and 55 watt standard in the low beam as the comparision. Mind you I have a harness which makes a big difference to begin with. The 55 watt is putting out bettween 1000-1100 lumens as a baseline. The HIR is brighter than the 55 watt bulb and is definetely puting out the 1875 lumens. The 80 watt is still the champ, I would guess that it is putting out appoximately 2100-2200 lumens. The HIR is closer to the 80 watt than the 55.

The tradeoff is that HIR bulbs are $39 a piece and slightly dimmer, but they have a life expectancy of approximately 20 times that of the 80 watt bulbs (which are $10 each). I am still going to try and find 80 watt German Bulbs if I can.

Cary

Quick note, Automotive Performance Systems, the retail side of Neuspeed has the 80watt Hella Korean Bulbs for $6 each. I went ahead and bought few pending the outcome of Hella finding a German Source. Part Number is 6-78316 (100 watt 9005 is 6-78310) and their website is www.neuspeed.com.

Cary

[/quote]

I'll toss this thought in:

I would only do enough to see a bit better to avoid providing a reason to be stopped. Once you have been pulled over the officer will be looking hard for justification of his actions. Licence current and in your pocket? Current proof of insurance in the vehicle? All of your lights working? (equipment violation). Did you have a cocktail with dinner? ETC.

Why set yourself up to go through all of that?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg107293#msg107293 date=1077209769]
I'll toss this thought in:

I would only do enough to see a bit better to avoid providing a reason to be stopped. Once you have been pulled over the officer will be looking hard for justification of his actions. Licence current and in your pocket? Current proof of insurance in the vehicle? All of your lights working? (equipment violation). Did you have a c%^ktail with dinner? ETC.

Why set yourself up to go through all of that?
[/quote]

I don't believe this is an issue for several reasons. 1) If you are not running those blue bulbs, it doesn't attract attention, 2) you can always play stupid and say "well I don't have my high beams on", 3) LC drivers are really not the profile that an officer looks to pull over and harrass.

Cary

As a follow-up, I just spoke with Dave at Susquehanna again to go ahead and cancel my order since the availability of the new 9005's and 9006's was completely unknown.

He did say that Hella had already changed manufacturers on their Xenon bulbs and that everyone had been pleased with them. The stated expected life on their website is a little less than those of the halogens, but if their quality is up to snuff, it might be something to consider.

Has anyone tried them?

<<<<<<" LC drivers are really not the profile that an officer looks to pull over and harrass.">>>>>>

I got pulled over on a Saturday morning driving to work once(in the 80) on the road I drive EVERY day. I was ticketed for going 50 in a 40. It gets better. In the opposite direction on the same damn road the speed limit was 50............The side I was traveling on had a 40 MPH sign on it about 2 mile behind where I was.

A few weeks after this, BOTH SIDES were posted at 40. :flipoff2:

???

I don't think you were being singled out, merely, you represented that officers target audience, anyone who was in a car that could be cited for speeding.

I wasn't suggesting that I was "singled out" That would have been a tough one as I was the only car on the road :D

What was troubling to me was that EVERYBODY drove that road at 50 ALL THE TIME. :rolleyes: And it was posted as such in the opposite direction. :whoops:

Later that day I visited with a friend of mine who was a Sargent on the force. He did some mumbling under his breath about it and I heard what sounded like "chicken-something" ;)

Anyway, I think he was the one who got the signs changed. :banana:

CANCELL you order with them, didn't you read my post? they will send you Helolites NOT Hella's!. I ordered thru Fastmods.com
this is what you ordered
http://fastmods.com/459-9373.html
and you WILL not get that from them, you WILL get Helolites made in korea.

Nuespeeds(asshats) Hella part # is 88831 and they don't have them anyway.

I will never deal with ricer places again!

John H

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg107288#msg107288 date=1077209179]
Quick note, Automotive Performance Systems, the retail side of Neuspeed has the 80watt Hella Korean Bulbs for $6 each. I went ahead and bought few pending the outcome of Hella finding a German Source. Part Number is 6-78316 (100 watt 9005 is 6-78310) and their website is www.neuspeed.com.

Cary
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg107423#msg107423 date=1077224368]
CANCELL you order with them, didn't you read my post? they will send you Helolites NOT Hella's!. I ordered thru Fastmods.com
this is what you ordered
http://fastmods.com/459-9373.html
and you WILL not get that from them, you WILL get Helolites made in korea.

Nuespeeds(asshats) Hella part # is 88831 and they don't have them anyway.

I will never deal with ricer places again!

John H
[/quote]

Sunoffabitch!!! Unlike Nuespeed to sell that type of stuff, they are an old tuning shop with their roots in BMW's and Volkswagens. Guess I own 3 crappy bulbs now. Crap.

Cary

Update on my Hella 80 9006 low beams. As you know, I'd been awaiting a replacement for one that burned out prematurely from rallylights (was offered a deal on a replacement, actually) when the whole "Hella stopped shipping them" thing came to light. The other one burned out today. So, I have no low beams until Monday when the Narva's arrive and am using the fogs to get around. According to my log, the first one lasted 4632 miles and the second one 4940 miles. At an average speed of around 25mph, that's a whopping 191 hour life. I'm mailing mine to Hella in Atlanta with a copy of the log and reciept. I'll let you know what happens.

DougM

DougM

here is the Email I got back from Fastmods, when I got the Hellolites and not the Hella(which I ordered)

"These lights you ordered were not from our company. They were from
Neuspeed. If they switched the brands of the product to a product you
didn't pay for then please reference me the product name and ID on your
packaging and I will call them and figure out if this was a mistake on
their part or something else. I ensure you I did not switch the brand
on you. FASTMODS does not carry those lights in-stock thus why we
ordered them from neuspeed through our business agreement as one of
neuspeeds distributors. EMAIL ME BACK ALL THE INFORMATION SO I CAN HELP
YOU. I AM HERE FOR THE CUSTOMER AND SO IS OUR COMPANY."

then Nuespeed replied with this
"This is what neuspeed said about the issue:

“ If he wants the Hella brand he needs to order part# 88831 but keep in mind that this part is made in Korea. I have 1pair of part# 88831 in stock. “

Screw Fastmods and Neucrapspeed, I ordered Hella.......plain and simple, they passed my order off to Neucrap and they sent me some crap that I didn't order! then make it sound like its my fault...................blow me!

John H

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg107461#msg107461 date=1077228709]
Sunoffabitch!!! Unlike Nuespeed to sell that type of stuff, they are an old tuning shop with their roots in BMW's and Volkswagens. Guess I own 3 crappy bulbs now. Crap.

Cary
[/quote]

Geeze Pimp.

Yer gonna pop a gasket at this rate. :p

Can I get in yer will? :D

No........I am in perfect health even have low blood presure.........Cruisers(and stuff) are already willed......to local friends and the TLCA(who can sell em if they want)

But how would you like it if you ordered something, lets say a Hella bulb(or 4 of them), turns out the guys you ordered from arn't even the ones that sell em, then you get em and they are some off brand crap, then the jerks try to tell you "well if you wanted the Hella's you need to ordered this part #" yeah that the way its works..........NOT!

I am in the customer service business..........so I have an idea of how things "should" work.......I have VERY satisfied clients...because I know how to do my job and when I screw up I don't blame it on someone else....especialy the customer!

Yeah I have been a bit on edge lately :rolleyes:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=11659;start=msg107527#msg107527 date=1077236286]
Geeze Pimp.

Yer gonna pop a gasket at this rate. :p

Can I get in yer will? :D
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom