Events/Trails UPDATE: Cowboy Breakfast at Rock Bowl Beach Camp - Saturday September 16th - 9 AM (2 Viewers)

Attendance Poll for Cowboy Breakfast Event

• Yes - I will be attending - but not camping

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - I will be attending and camping

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Maybe - I'll let you know

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No - maybe next time

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATE - September 15th 13:00:

Frank headed out late morning and then sent me a text "road muddy here now". There is limited cell phone at the campsite, so unable to get further details. My guess is that the dirt road portion between the sandy Rock Bowl campsite and the unimproved pavement is muddy from recent rains. I would expecct that the campsite will NOT be muddy. However, it may be a bit more challenging to get to the site because of the muddy road conditions.

I will report more if I hear anything.
Poupon

UPDATE - September 14th PM:

Some of us will be camping Friday night. I plan to meet Frank at the bowl before dinner tomorrow evening and get a camp fire going. I plan to return after breakfast on Saturday. Not sure if anybody plans to do a run on Saturday or camp Saturday night, but feel free to join us either way.

Fellow HDC members,

Lets have another Cowboy / Cowgirl breakfast in the bush Saturday September 16th. This is the 3rd Saturday in September, so this event will replace our normal breakfast meeting.

We have decided to do this breakfast at a really nice camp spot just south of Cuba off of US 550. Jeff Boggs and I found this spot a three years or so ago and have returned several times. This spot (35.86163, -106.93470) is about a 1 - 1.25 hour drive from NM-528 and US-550. 95% of the drive is paved and the last few miles are unimproved dirt road. You will find more information about how to find the spot below.

Cars can make this one, but only camping trailers with major clearance, like Ali's Kimber style trailer or Frank's Smitty style, can make the one aggressive "dip" that goes through a wash. HDC members will be camping Friday and Saturday nights.

Tips on finding the location: If you follow these turns, you may get to Rock Bowl Beach without issue. We will monitor 146.400. There is limited/no cell phone at the beach.

This was once a BEACH. Sand is at the beach!
  • 1 - Start at US 550 & CR 11 (35.84460, -106.96637)
  • 2 - Head to the end of the semi-improved road (NM - CR 11 to BLM Dirt (35.85991, -106.95545))
  • 3 - Cross the wash at this spot. You are headed towards RBB (35.85750, -106.93764)
  • 4 - find your way to this waypoint and turn east/right into the Rock Bowl Beach Campsite (35.86066, -106.93597)
  • Enjoy!
Let me know if somebody would like to volunteered to lead a moderate trail run on Saturday after breakfast.

Breakfast
Coordinates: 35.86163, -106.93470
Breakfast Time: 0900 - 1030
Date: Saturday September 16th 2023
HAM: 146.400

Optional Camp-out
Date: Friday and Saturday September 15th & 16th evenings.

Like the prior years, you are welcome to join some of us heading out Friday the 15th after work and camp out. Others are welcome to join us for breakfast in the morning on Saturday and/or camp with some of us on Saturday evening. This is a family friendly event - dogs, pets and kids are all welcome!

Still need to confirm if Frank/Jeff will be making breakfast burritos and fixings. I will make pancakes and bring coffee. You are welcome to bring your own breakfast. Any donations you wish to make will go into the club coffers to be used for our xmas party or donations to off road organizations. Thank you all for donating.

Poupon

Last edited:
I hope the club doesn't mind that I pulled this annual event forward to mid-September. In the past, we have strived to have this a bit earlier in the fall, since late October can get very cold at night. I do plan to attend this one.

Cheers!

Right now, I plan on being there and camping. Thanks for posting this event up and the move to Sept is a good one for overall , warmer temps, IMHO.

I am planning on being there and camping at least Friday night.

Maybe someday we could have these celebrations in a different location, like, say...

Tahiti.

Yeah, it would be a long drive, but--

OW! OW OW OW!!!

That's gonna leave a bruise...

Man, I was really looking forward to the cowboy breakfast but unfortunately it looks like I'll be in Hawaii that week for work returning on the 17th. If something changes, I'll make sure to be there. Have fun everyone!

Bummer, Juan. A lot of my contacts are headed there or already there… not a fun trip to Hawaii 😕

I'm planning on being there Fri, and will try to get my mouth breather to show up in her 4runner but we'll see.

I'm planning on being there Fri, and will try to get my mouth breather to show up in her 4runner but we'll see.
If you put a snorkel on that 4Runner, wouldn't that cure the mouth breathing?

If you put a snorkel on that 4Runner, wouldn't that cure the mouth breathing?
You thinking of showing up and camping? Or is camping not your thing?

You thinking of showing up and camping? Or is camping not your thing?
I do a lot of camping, often at hot springs in the middle of nowhere. But I've got so many things going on right now (eating, sleeping, looking for excuses) that I don't know if I can make this. But I'll try...

Plans changed, Can't do the Cowboy Breakfast this time. Eat some pancakes for me.

Plans changed, Can't do the Cowboy Breakfast this time. Eat some pancakes for me.
OFF TOPIC REPLY: What restaurant serves the best pancakes? IHOP? Denny's? Owl Cafe? Other?

Fellow HDC members,

Lets have another Cowboy / Cowgirl breakfast in the bush Saturday September 16th. This is the 3rd Saturday in September, so this event will replace our normal breakfast meeting.

We have decided to do this breakfast at a really nice camp spot just south of Cuba off of US 550. Jeff Boggs and I found this spot a three years or so ago and have returned several times. This spot (35.86163, -106.93470) is about a 1 - 1.25 hour drive from NM-528 and US-550. 95% of the drive is paved and the last few miles are unimproved dirt road. You will find more information about how to find the spot below.

Cars can make this one, but only camping trailers with major clearance, like Ali's Kimber style trailer or Frank's Smitty style, can make the one aggressive "dip" that goes through a wash. HDC members will be camping Friday and Saturday nights.

Tips on finding the location: If you follow these turns, you may get to Rock Bowl Beach without issue. We will monitor 146.400. There is limited/no cell phone at the beach.

This was once a BEACH. Sand is at the beach!
  • 1 - Start at US 550 & CR 11 (35.84460, -106.96637)
  • 2 - Head to the end of the semi-improved road (NM - CR 11 to BLM Dirt (35.85991, -106.95545))
  • 3 - Cross the wash at this spot. You are headed towards RBB (35.85750, -106.93764)
  • 4 - find your way to this waypoint and turn east/right into the Rock Bowl Beach Campsite (35.86066, -106.93597)
  • Enjoy!
Let me know if somebody would like to volunteered to lead a moderate trail run on Saturday after breakfast.

Breakfast
Coordinates: 35.86163, -106.93470
Breakfast Time: 0900 - 1030
Date: Saturday September 16th 2023
HAM: 146.400

Optional Camp-out
Date: Friday and Saturday September 15th & 16th evenings.

Like the prior years, you are welcome to join some of us heading out Friday the 15th after work and camp out. Others are welcome to join us for breakfast in the morning on Saturday and/or camp with some of us on Saturday evening. This is a family friendly event - dogs, pets and kids are all welcome!

Still need to confirm if Frank/Jeff will be making breakfast burritos and fixings. I will make pancakes and bring coffee. You are welcome to bring your own breakfast. Any donations you wish to make will go into the club coffers to be used for our xmas party or donations to off road organizations. Thank you all for donating.

Poupon
Excuse the old school questions:
How many miles from the intersection of 550 and CR11 (the one in downtown Cuba) is the BLM dirt road?
How many miles from that point to the Rock Bowl Beach turnoff?
Thanks.

Excuse the old school questions:
How many miles from the intersection of 550 and CR11 (the one in downtown Cuba) is the BLM dirt road?
How many miles from that point to the Rock Bowl Beach turnoff?
Thanks.
There is a bridge out and ongoing repairs that makes going down CR11 , from Cuba, a no go route, right now, to get to Rock Bowl .
You will need to drive south of Cuba, via 550 and drive past where CR 11 reconnects to Hwy 550. Right south of that intersection is the turn off to Rock Bowl campsite. Old paved road going up a hill to the East. There is a ROAD CLOSED sign along the first stretch of this road. Follow main road, that turns to dirt, still going east.
This will get you very close to the campsite. Exact location , hopefully, will be marked . Old school answer, to your old school questions. That's how I roll, too.:)

what, NOT acceptable :bang:
Hate to miss this. Our plans changed and we have to go out of town this next weekend, now. If my Miata hadn't crapped out a starter, ( that's a crazy story in its self) this last weekend would have happened and I would be free to do Rock Bowl. Priorities are in control, not my wishes.
You know a little something about recent vehicle breakdowns, too, Ali......;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom