Unobtainium Early TNK (NOS) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Archie 1962 FJ25

Autocrat
Threads
Just found these at a hot rod builder here locally. I already got New ASMO's but couldn't resist. They were not cheap at $175 each. One shaft is slightly longer then the other and both the shafts are shorter then ASMO not much difference though. Hopefully there will be a way to adjust the shaft length and also I will have to make mounting plates to match with FJ25 windshield holes.
1418096448580.jpg
1418096466827.jpg
View attachment 1003200View attachment 1003201
1418096780484.jpg

Last edited:
As I remember LandCruiserSteve's hard top have electric wipers with side terminals like that. Just two which would mean the wipers stopped where ever they were the switch was turn off. His and Sean's 25s were both from Hawaii. Can't remember if Sean's had electric or vacuum wipers. I do remember seeing at least one other picture with electric wipers on a FJ25. Red might be primer paint. Wipers were paint body color in the early LC years.

As I remember LandCruiserSteve's hard top have electric wipers with side terminals like that. Just two which would mean the wipers stopped where ever they were the switch was turn off. His and Sean's 25s were both from Hawaii. Can't remember if Sean's had electric or vacuum wipers. I do remember seeing at least one other picture with electric wipers on a FJ25. Red might be primer paint. Wipers were paint body color in the early LC years.

I found the pic of Sean's 59 FJ25 https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-home-for-59-fj25.208253/, yes it has got the similar wiper motors and looks like connected too, possibly he can confirm if they are self park or not.

I spoke to the guy I bought TNK's from, he used TNK motors only couple of times in the build and as far as he remembers they do self park and also he uses a special switch made by Speedway Motors (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Windshield-Wiper-Switch-for-Dual-Motors,4518.html) to connect both the motors on a single switch.

In 60's - 70's he used to buy lot of electrical items from a company in Japan thats where these TNK's came from however there is another Japanese wiper motor called "Seatest" which he used a lot because its housing used to be in chrome. Now days they use universal wiper motors with "BLING" but they also comes with 2 terminal posts. Personally he thinks that TNK's are more robust and well designed but doesn't suite for Hot Rod builds.

Last edited:
If they only grounded thru the housing then one terminal could + hot all the time. The other terminal could be switched +. Then they would self park. Naybe the added third terminal was a ground because of issues counting a ground thru the windshield. I do not see any mounting plate like other TNK wipers. My newest FJ25 has vacuum wiper but has a adapter to fit the threaded holes on the windshield. Two thread holes instead of one like the TNKs used on FJ40s. I have wondered if the windshield wasn't set up for early TNK wipers and a adapter made to fit the vacuum wipers.

If they only grounded thru the housing then one terminal could + hot all the time. The other terminal could be switched +. Then they would self park. Naybe the added third terminal was a ground because of issues counting a ground thru the windshield. I do not see any mounting plate like other TNK wipers. My newest FJ25 has vacuum wiper but has a adapter to fit the threaded holes on the windshield. Two thread holes instead of one like the TNKs used on FJ40s. I have wondered if the windshield wasn't set up for early TNK wipers and a adapter made to fit the vacuum wipers.

I think mounting plate would have been application specific. Interestingly while doing more research on these motors, I found another version of TNK here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-TNK...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c1b12f12c. This one has a switch on the housing itself, also you can see the mounting plate which looks like an add on adaptor. Well that eBay listing is still live if someone wants to buy.

Mine is still a mystery but now I am leaning towards it might had electric wiper from the factory. When I bought it had wires running both sides of the windshield but inside the tubes, only driver side of the wiring was connected to an early 70's windshield system (single wiper motor) and connected to a 2 speed wiper switch which was placed right besides an early style wiper switch. I always used to wonder why there is a need for 2 different switches when only one was connected, then I thought it could be another PO modification and may be early switch was faulty. Then I thought this whole electric wiper thing is a modification, since FJ25 suppose to have vacuum wipers.

I ended up buying 2 AMSO's since there was no hope of finding vacuum motors and I already had wiring running on my windshield. But now this leads me to believe that mine might have 2 wiper switches on the dash from the factory and PO tossed one of them in favour of a 2 speed switch to go with modified 70's wiper system.

Last edited:
Camera on my mobile phone liked it that way. They are more red otherwise.
They seem to show up in red when sold as an aftermarket piece.

Found this Trico kit on ebay.uk

s-l1600 (9).jpg

Anybody know the wiring diagram on my motor? It's for my 66 fj40. It has 3 so I am assuming it has park function I just don't know the diagram

wiper motor.jpg

wiper motor 2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom