U.S. GENERAL 34 in. Full Bank Service Cart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PAToyota

Keystone Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
The service cart that Harbor Freight recently introduced is pretty nice, but I have to question the price point. I think I'd understand it if they did it as an Icon cart, but as US General it just doesn't seem to fit into the lineup.

The new Service Cart:
HF 001.png

The old Mechanic's Cart:
HF 002.png

The 44" Roller Cabinet:
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 10.04.50 AM Aug.07.21.png

And the 56" Roller Cabinet:
HF 003.png

So the Full Bank cart is 5.125" taller, 4" wider, and 1.25" deeper than the Mechanic's Cart as well as (obviously) adding drawers the whole way down. But then the 44" Roller Cabinet is $200 cheaper and the 56" Roller Cabinet is only $100 more. Storage capacity is as follows from their specs:
  • Mechanic's Cart = 15,000 ci
  • Full Bank Cart = 18,700 ci
  • 44" Cabinet = 14,000 ci
  • 56" Cabinet = 21,500 ci
Those specifications do seem a bit misleading as they're obviously counting the open space on the Mechanic's Cart for it to be 1000 ci more than the 44" Cabinet. The Full Bank Cart is 6.5" taller than the 44" Cabinet, but obviously 10" less wide. The Full Bank cart is also 1.25" deeper than the 44" Cabinet. The 44" cabinet is more than double the weight capacity.

I guess the sticking point for me is that the Full Bank cart seems like a step up from the Mechanic's Cart, but is priced well above the 44" Roller Cabinet and closer to the 56" Roller Cabinet price. At the price points, I'd be more inclined to buy the 44" Cabinet and I'd consider moving up to the 56" Cabinet for $100 more if I looked at the Full Bank cart.

I have a 5 drawer mechanics cart.
It is far better than any of my other Craftsman stuff. Less cash and much sturdier.
Odd that they priced that new box so high. Maybe they realize thw popularity and the prices are going to creep up on all those US General boxes.

^ Same sentiments here. I also have a 5 drawer mechanics cart and it's great, but no way I'd pay an additional $450 just to have two extra drawers.

I saw this box advertised and had the same feelings on price. I have two mechanics carts and they were a steal at $199.00 each when I bought them. I can still get 3 mechanics carts for the price of one of the new boxes. Crazy.

I also have a 44" upper and lower with side box. Amazing value for what you get. These boxes replace a set of Craftsman boxes I bought in High School that are still in use in the barn. That was 1978. If these US General boxes hang out half that long I'll be set (and dead) :)

I've got a couple of the 5-drawer carts and just saw the new service cart "in the flesh" over the weekend.

The new cart is taller and looks good. I'm still not sold on the extra cost of it, though, and I don't see how it has 4,700 ci more storage space than the 44" box - except that the top opens up where the 44" box is just a flat work surface.

I wonder if they'd let me roll them over side by side to compare...

I wonder if they'd let me roll them over side by side to compare...
Someone smarter than me once said "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to receive permission"

I'd just roll em together, I doubt anyone will say anything.

Local store has the service cart out front, the 5-drawer on one side of an aisle, and the 44" on the other side... By the time I got the first two into position I'm sure I'd have someone asking what I was doing...

I have the 5 drawer service cart at work and it's nice for the money. The bigger one seems over priced IMHO

For Black Friday, they dropped the price to $499 - same as the 44" cabinet. I think that is more in line with its value.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 06.32.47 AM Nov.22.21.png

Was in the store looking at the ICON series. The recharging drawer and impact gun storage are nice. Just waiting for my shop to get built then possibly getting a Harbor Freight card.

Last edited:
I picked up an Inside Track Club membership the other month and have already paid for it with the discounts - a combination of ITC only discounts and a weekend with a 20% off coupon for ITC members vs. 10% off for others.

I never really felt it was worth it in the days of coupons and regular 20% off coupons, but now it seems to have more of a benefit since they've eliminated the other coupons.

Not as good as the Black Friday sale, but they've dropped the price to $599.

0422_full_banks_02_e.png

Down to $549 for the Presidents' Day Sale ending today:
President.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom