Trunk Carpet delete/replacement options (1 Viewer)

Should I replace carpet, delete carpet, replace with rubber floor in trunk?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 02 LX470 succumbed to the leaky brake light and I have a new smoked black unit on the way. In the mean time, I have the back 50% of the truck's interior disassembled and have been removing the literal yards and yards of old wiring from the TV the first owner (owner of a Toyota dealer in Florida) had installed for the kids and have been demolding the car (kids got crumbs in EVERY crack of this car and that mixed with the water has left the interior quite musty. That said, the trunk carpet is stupid easy to remove and looks like it has been used by a butcher (weird stains). Should i just remove the carpet altogether, replace it with another rug, or does anyone make rubber floors for these trucks? Any input is much appreciated!

I bought a full carpet replacement from @dnp and I got the premium version that has rubber lining on the bottom but carpet on the top. I’ve been really impressed with the quality and have received many compliments on it. I’m not sure if he sells just the rear section, but I recommend at least looking into it. Don’t know about any other options one way or the other. Good luck.

If money is no object...

Wash the carpet with laundry detergent and oxiclean.

I washed my carpet and wow that was a lot of dirt and stains. Afterwards it felt like it was brand new.

Why put in a messy rug when you can put some elbow grease one your carpet and use it for another 20 years?

So my 02 LX470 succumbed to the leaky brake light and I have a new smoked black unit on the way. In the mean time, I have the back 50% of the truck's interior disassembled and have been removing the literal yards and yards of old wiring from the TV the first owner (owner of a Toyota dealer in Florida) had installed for the kids and have been demolding the car (kids got crumbs in EVERY crack of this car and that mixed with the water has left the interior quite musty. That said, the trunk carpet is stupid easy to remove and looks like it has been used by a butcher (weird stains). Should i just remove the carpet altogether, replace it with another rug, or does anyone make rubber floors for these trucks? Any input is much appreciated!

I did something similar. I had some stains and stuff that wouldn't come out so I made a new carpet piece. If you're looking for a DIY project and have access to a good sewing machine, I put this together for maybe $50 and a couple hours of work:

N4DEp0t.jpg

Wash the carpet with laundry detergent and oxiclean.

I washed my carpet and wow that was a lot of dirt and stains. Afterwards it felt like it was brand new.

Why put in a messy rug when you can put some elbow grease one your carpet and use it for another 20 years?

I've had pretty good luck with products like Purple Power and a pressure washer. But I like this idea too—industrial size coin laundry might do the trick.

Just make sure the pressure washer is kind of a crap unit—super high PSI will obviously cause other problems. I think mine at the time was a little electric unit.

More reasonable option cost wise for replacement carpet if the cleaning doesn’t work.

Thanks for the input, i will try a deep clean and if so fails, will move onto the DIY replacement. Its a Lexus (even though I use it like my pickup) and the rest of the family still enjoys the carpet. Also a +1 is the additional sound deadening. Take the carpet out and hit the highway, it is unbelievable how effective that carpet is for NVH. Thanks y’all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom