Troubleshooting engine stall (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did I miss it, or was the crank position sensor ever checked?

so I am not going to say its fixed again yet I have done that now 2 or 3 times only to have the issue come back.

I ordered a new crankshaft sensor. And while installing it saw that the wire harness was against the Serpentine belt yep green wire had like 2 strands left connected. I had the new sensor so installed it and soldered the wire back together shrink wrap wrapped it all in electrical tape covered it with a new loom stuffed it all back in. I had to remove the serp belt to get the wires up and out of the engine bay enough to get the iron on it.

buttoned it all up fired right up drove it for a good 30 minutes this afternoon after it ran in the driveway with the ac on for 15-20 minutes. not one stumble or misfire.

Im still not sure why i never got a crank sensor code or some other code. So hopefully its not just the computer in closed loop mode while relearning its stuff.

Hopefully this help someone down the line when they have a stall or will not start problem. The 80 buck sensor is way better than 8 new coil packs.

and In my case it was probably just the cut wire all along.

On a 2000 the sensor is right behind and above the oil filter and the loom goes up from there its supposed to be tucked way in against the block to avoid being chopped up by the belt you also need to unplug the connector to the oil filter sensor. I did the TB water pump ect 30K miles ago and that my be why they were not tucked way back there but I am going to blame a mouse for crawling up there and knocking them out of place :)

I've noticed that particular loom getting uncomfortably close to the belt on my Lexus (basically the same engine).

I'm guessing the short didn't trip a code because the normal operation of the sensor fluctuates between 0 and some fixed positive value, like 6 (just throwing random numbers). So 0 (shorted) wouldn't have alerted the computer to a problem, but instead made it think the crank was not turning. It probably only knows the sensor is dying when the positive value gets off (say, 2 instead of 6).

I'm just pulling stuff out of my butt, somebody else correct me.

I've noticed that particular loom getting uncomfortably close to the belt on my Lexus (basically the same engine).

I'm guessing the short didn't trip a code because the normal operation of the sensor fluctuates between 0 and some fixed positive value, like 6 (just throwing random numbers). So 0 (shorted) wouldn't have alerted the computer to a problem, but instead made it think the crank was not turning. It probably only knows the sensor is dying when the positive value gets off (say, 2 instead of 6).

I'm just pulling stuff out of my butt, somebody else correct me.

Ok now I have to go look at my CPS harness, haha

The 2UZ-fe has two wire hose clamps attached to front the DS timing belt cover and one on top we can not get.. These get broken very often while disabling for time belt job. Almost every IDNY or Dealer installed timing belt job, I find one more of these broken. I've tried or my rather my best Toyota parts guy who finds the smallest of parts for me, has never been able to locate these. They're either sold with T-belt cover, main engine wire harness or not at all. I zip tie these wire to broken clamp, to keep away from moving parts..

Two on the front and a different size wire clamp on the top. Anyone ever find a source for new please let me know.
040.JPG

The 2UZ-fe has two wire hose clamps attached to front the DS timing belt cover and one on top we can not get.. These get broken very often while disabling for time belt job. Almost every IDNY or Dealer installed timing belt job, I find one more of these broken. I've tried or my rather my best Toyota parts guy who finds the smallest of parts for me, has never been able to locate these. They're either sold with T-belt cover, main engine wire harness or not at all. I zip tie these wire to broken clamp, to keep away from moving parts..

Two on the front and a different size wire clamp on the top. Anyone ever find a source for new please let me know.
View attachment 1793160
Maybe get a new parts guy? This took me about 3 minutes:
90467-09031 - Genuine Toyota CLAMP

82711-43020 - Toyota Parts Deal

Don't mind the part name on the top one.. it's on the LH cam cover.

Maybe get a new parts guy? This took me about 3 minutes:
90467-09031 - Genuine Toyota CLAMP

82711-43020 - Toyota Parts Deal

Don't mind the part name on the top one.. it's on the LH cam cover.
Nice try, and really thanks for trying!

I have seen the 09031 used on some (earlier models like the 2000), it's the lowest one on cover, and open end type clip. I use it as a substitute on later models for the locking type, when I need to plug the hole. But it's not the locking type I've pointed to, of the two lowers pictured above or below.
004a.jpg

The 43020 is for the cam sensor, I've purchased a few of those.
It's the black piece connected to the wire housing block seen here with my probe stuck into it's release latch:
Timing belt cover cam clip wire housing (10).JPG

Here it is on the cover. See the other two above & below to the right, those we can't find.
015.JPG

Those, and one large on top picture in post #25. The large is also on RH side of throttle body on late models like the 2000 (maybe 98-02).

I'll keep my parts guy. ;)

So this is an old post but I have a question. I have a GX470 with the 4.7.

How do you get these clips off of the cam cover? I am afraid of snapping something and it going back into the cam gear. Some trick?

lexus connector.jpg

Also, has anyone found these clips? They feel rubbery and not hard plastic. Maybe to keep water out? Or maybe mine are just old.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom